Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree7Likes

Steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 12:46 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by gigaplex
In other words, an incompatibility. Tolerances etc can lead to unintended compatibility issues.
Incompatible is directly set by design not after production detected due tolerances, a poor design or a bad component choice that all was normally expected to work.
Old 05-01-2024, 01:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
Incompatible is directly set by design not after production detected due tolerances, a poor design or a bad component choice that all was normally expected to work.
No. Incompatible just means they don't work together.
Old 05-06-2024, 12:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Quick update, tried moving the receiver further away from the ESC and servo but didn't do anything noticeable.
Also added the glitch buster from Ruddog to the receiver but still no results.

Also made a video to show exactly what's happening.

The soldering and connectors all seemed fine but i'll check them again just to be sure.
Old 05-06-2024, 03:38 PM
Tech Addict

If the servo is a high amp draw more than the receiver amp output, you will never get rid of the problem. get rid of the high amp draw servo.
Old 05-06-2024, 03:41 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 1995 Monster T
If the servo is a high amp draw more than the receiver amp output, you will never get rid of the problem. get rid of the high amp draw servo.
Watching the video the servo amp draw won't be the problem because they're not turning the wheel.
Old 05-06-2024, 03:46 PM
Tech Champion

Does the radio support telemetry? If it does, check the receiver voltage at the points that the servo glitches. It's odd that it always steers the same way, check your fail safe settings to see if the servo position is set. Do you have any other servos, ESCs or radios to test with to see which component the problem follows?
gwhiz likes this.
Old 05-06-2024, 05:24 PM
Tech Addict

Watching the video the servo amp draw won't be the problem because they're not turning the wheel.
??? That what I was talking about. The steering servi is high amp and when you punch the throttle All the burst go to the motor and the steering servo doesn't have enough amps to not glitch If you can program your esc to low punch tthat should solve your problem?. The receiver can't supply enough power to the servo and esc at the same time. when you punch the throttle. Only other option is another servo with lower amp draw.

Old 05-06-2024, 10:24 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 1995 Monster T
??? That what I was talking about. The steering servi is high amp and when you punch the throttle All the burst go to the motor and the steering servo doesn't have enough amps to not glitch If you can program your esc to low punch tthat should solve your problem?. The receiver can't supply enough power to the servo and esc at the same time. when you punch the throttle. Only other option is another servo with lower amp draw.
When the servo is idling with no load and no input it's not really drawing any current so won't be causing this problem.

The receiver doesn't power the ESC. It's the other way around, the ESC powers the receiver. Giving throttle to the ESC shouldn't put load on the BEC either, about the only thing that'll affect that is if the main battery voltage sags too much, since that battery powers the BEC.
​​​​​
DirkW likes this.
Old 05-09-2024, 04:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Does the radio support telemetry? If it does, check the receiver voltage at the points that the servo glitches. It's odd that it always steers the same way, check your fail safe settings to see if the servo position is set. Do you have any other servos, ESCs or radios to test with to see which component the problem follows?
I swapped out electronics one for one with my other car which are all identical, i noticed that it only happenend when the motor was under load.
Different motor and different ESC seemed to make it slightly worse.

The last part i swapped was the servo which is also when the problem dissapeared.

Could the servo have been causing this somehow? I thought it just carried out commands basically.
Old 05-09-2024, 05:07 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JSHuiting
I swapped out electronics one for one with my other car which are all identical, i noticed that it only happenend when the motor was under load.
Different motor and different ESC seemed to make it slightly worse.

The last part i swapped was the servo which is also when the problem dissapeared.

Could the servo have been causing this somehow? I thought it just carried out commands basically.
Servo must be faulty if it's causing that.
JSHuiting likes this.
Old 05-09-2024, 05:16 AM
Tech Lord

Electronics/power wise I do not see how it happens, probably vibrations?
Probably when you tick on the servo with the back of a screwdriver it also moves.
JSHuiting likes this.
Old 05-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JSHuiting
Quick update, tried moving the receiver further away from the ESC and servo but didn't do anything noticeable.
Also added the glitch buster from Ruddog to the receiver but still no results.

Also made a video to show exactly what's happening.

The soldering and connectors all seemed fine but i'll check them again just to be sure.

Channel mixing.

Check to see if your throttle signal is being sent to your steering channel under mixing.
Old 05-09-2024, 06:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Roelof
Electronics/power wise I do not see how it happens, probably vibrations?
Probably when you tick on the servo with the back of a screwdriver it also moves.
I put the electronics back onto the original chassis and i think you may be onto something, the servo stopped acting up unless you touch it in a very specific way.

[ Video ]

It baffles me, it looks to have something to do with vibrations, but it seems to do it more eagerly when i touch the servo and topdeck both instead of just the servo.
The mystery is solved though, i'll pull the servo apart to see if anything obvious is loose or broken, but i'm afraid it'll come down to a new one..

Edit : a cable was pinched inside the housing against a sharp soldering, rerouted it to the other side of the servo and all seems good for now.
Also really strange as this servo was advertised as having the cabling on the inner side, however the housing does not have the notching on the correct side to allow this, It seems to be pinched by default.
gigaplex likes this.

Last edited by JSHuiting; 05-09-2024 at 08:59 AM.