Search
Like Tree22Likes

High amp charging pros/cons

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 06:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sn47som1
thats why id be doing it. not for the magical unicorn "punch" that most likely doesn't exist. just placebo probably
So the charger measures lower IR due to placebo?

Or you think IR doesn't matter?

you fast charge 2s lipos!? so they must be pretty high capacity packs. you must not mean receiver batteries
2S are for 1/10. 10-15A is a mild 2-3C in a typical 4-5mah lipo. High amp is typically 5-10C from what I've seen.

I usually charge at 2c but I'll go 1c when time allows.

IDGAF about winning, I don't even sauce, but if I was going for absolutely fastest I can get it I'd run a high amp cycle. OTOH if the track allows it I'd rather just use a battery heater.
Old 12-11-2023, 06:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
HUH????
What has "high amp" to do with a high voltage?

As we accept 2C charging as normal, some people easilly can go to 5C up to 10C what is not normal and not needed for 99% of the drivers..
High amp times high voltage is mega power. 15A at 900V is 13.5kW.
Old 12-11-2023, 06:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Roelof
But yet the same amount of power per cell and that is what it is all about! Can one cell safely handle the high charge rating? If one cell can then a 100S battery can also.
Not when the 100 cells are densely packed. The cells in the middle won't have any way to dissipate their heat.
Old 12-11-2023, 06:55 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mrkab

It doesn't matter that much. My packs with ~3 mOhm per cell give me near identical lap times to my ~1 mOhm per cell packs.
disaster999 and glennhl like this.
Old 12-11-2023, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OTOH if the track allows it I'd rather just use a battery heater.
External heating is illegal in most places, that's why all this high amp cycling stuff became so popular instead. The problem with all of his is a) it does not really give all that much (definitely some, I won't argue that) of an increase in power/punch in the first place and it b) actually does not give you any advantage at all, if everyone does it. At which point, people could just collectively agree to stop doing it and save their batteries from the abuse... remember, the idea of stock is an even playing field so that the actual driving skills decides the race, not outspending your opponents or finding out who can bend the rules the furthest without breaking them, or even breaking them the most without getting caught (but we all know these types of stock racers exist!)

For a decent charging time, real high amp charging is not necessary (again 10-15A isn't really high). 15A is usually fast enough for almost any purpose. If you got two batteries you could charge one while driving the other. And it's not a bad idea to let the car's electronics cool down a bit between runs, so having to actually wait for a few minutes isn't all that bad.
gigaplex and staiguy like this.
Old 12-11-2023, 07:20 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by gigaplex
It doesn't matter that much. My packs with ~3 mOhm per cell give me near identical lap times to my ~1 mOhm per cell packs.
Totally agree. The average Joe will not feel or utilize the advantages of low resistance batteries on the track. You "feel" its punchier, higher top end speeds etc but thats mostly placebo effect. Hell it happened to me too when I got brand spanking new batteries. Car felt faster, more punch, better top end. But the times don't lie. Spend more time on the track putting down laps, trying out different setup, that would probably have more gain than lower IR batteries.

The only reason people still swear by it because its takes no effort on the driver and instant see the IR drop. Buy a discharger, push a few buttons, charge and discharge at 45 amps, watch the IR drop on your charger and they think its instantly put them at TQ A1 WORLD CHAMP status.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 12-11-2023, 08:02 PM
Tech Adept

My charger only does 15 amps
Old 12-11-2023, 10:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

2S are for 1/10. 10-15A is a mild 2-3C in a typical 4-5mah lipo. High amp is typically 5-10C from what I've seen.

I usually charge at 2c but I'll go 1c when time allows.

IDGAF about winning, I don't even sauce, but if I was going for absolutely fastest I can get it I'd run a high amp cycle. OTOH if the track allows it I'd rather just use a battery heater.
is that a bare obvious attempt at sarcasm or you really dont know what placebo means?? hmmm...

another note, 2s is used in 1/8 scale in series and in receiver packs
Old 12-12-2023, 09:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by gigaplex
OK then it's not a placebo. I agree it's not worth it.

What is near identical? .1, .01, .001?

See this is way more useful IMHO, discussing the result rather than dismissing it entirely, I can use this to compare with other upgrades/options.
Old 12-12-2023, 09:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

is that a bare obvious attempt at sarcasm or you really dont know what placebo means?? hmmm...

another note, 2s is used in 1/8 scale in series and in receiver packs
​​​​Are you just a troll?

​​​​​​I know what it means.

You have not provided any explanation as to how or why it would be placebo. It's physics, and you've already make it clear you have zero functional knowledge about electronics, batteries or charging.

I won't attempt to help you further.
Old 12-12-2023, 01:52 PM
Tech Champion

OK then it's not a placebo. I agree it's not worth it.

What is near identical? .1, .01, .001?

See this is way more useful IMHO, discussing the result rather than dismissing it entirely, I can use this to compare with other upgrades/options.
Less than 0.1
Old 12-13-2023, 01:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

​​​​Are you just a troll?

​​​​​​I know what it means.

You have not provided any explanation as to how or why it would be placebo. It's physics, and you've already make it clear you have zero functional knowledge about electronics, batteries or charging.

I won't attempt to help you further.
me? okay champ you are the one that sounds pretty trolly hence my comment to you prior. you havent answered my question still about sarcasm. I dont want you to attempt to help me further. I dont think you can. i dont care at this point as its meaningless. but dont be throwing that word around towards me when it should be towards you. you are obviously confused about the meaning of placebo. your question proves so and doesnt make sense as you didnt provide any further explanation for what you said. charger measuring lower ir is not a placebo effect. the placebo has already been answered a few posts above if you read it. i didnt have to answer it as well. he did a pretty good job explaining it. Ill keep it simple for you so you can comprehend some. The placebo is the guy doing some special cycling or special process that leads to practically immeasurable differences in performance on the track. its not the charger, it could be any device reading lower numbers. that not the placebo. the placebo is "since a guy went through a special extra process or fast charging at a certain time in a certain way, therefore warrants said guy to feel an improvement from the extra steps taken, when in fact there is NO improvement or something so immeasurable it can't be felt. That is placebo. and zero idea i have of batteries? stop trollin fella, I have plenty of knowledge, and more than you do from what you have shown us- of batteries as Ive already proven from my posts in this thread if you care to read. and you shouldn't be talking anything like you are to me - someone with way more status on here than you mr tech. apprentice. wats this your first day?

This thread is to tap into people with more knowledge and experience than I already have. can you comprehend

Last edited by sn47som1; 12-13-2023 at 01:40 AM.
Old 12-13-2023, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

sn47som1 and gigaplex like this.
Old 12-13-2023, 11:28 AM
Tech Champion

me? okay champ you are the one that sounds pretty trolly hence my comment to you prior. you havent answered my question still about sarcasm. I dont want you to attempt to help me further. I dont think you can. i dont care at this point as its meaningless. but dont be throwing that word around towards me when it should be towards you. you are obviously confused about the meaning of placebo. your question proves so and doesnt make sense as you didnt provide any further explanation for what you said. charger measuring lower ir is not a placebo effect. the placebo has already been answered a few posts above if you read it. i didnt have to answer it as well. he did a pretty good job explaining it. Ill keep it simple for you so you can comprehend some. The placebo is the guy doing some special cycling or special process that leads to practically immeasurable differences in performance on the track. its not the charger, it could be any device reading lower numbers. that not the placebo. the placebo is "since a guy went through a special extra process or fast charging at a certain time in a certain way, therefore warrants said guy to feel an improvement from the extra steps taken, when in fact there is NO improvement or something so immeasurable it can't be felt. That is placebo. and zero idea i have of batteries? stop trollin fella, I have plenty of knowledge, and more than you do from what you have shown us- of batteries as Ive already proven from my posts in this thread if you care to read. and you shouldn't be talking anything like you are to me - someone with way more status on here than you mr tech. apprentice. wats this your first day?

This thread is to tap into people with more knowledge and experience than I already have. can you comprehend
The placebo can be the charger showing a lower number making you think it's faster on track when it's not.
DirkW likes this.
Old 12-13-2023, 12:52 PM
Tech Champion

Too long didn't read.
gigaplex likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.