Like Tree74Likes

Reedy SP5 25.5 is Banned

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2023, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
But why?

You can check it at the wheel even easier.
Because it's faster. If a driver has to go back and forth from their pit to dial in a certain wheel RPM, that's going to take up so much time that you'll miss at least one heat. Motor RPM limit is a set-and-forget method and can easily be checked at tech.

And that means more racing.
nik77356 and gigaplex like this.
Old 12-10-2023, 08:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
We need a maximum price on other components

2023 WA EP ONR State Titles, the winner of 1/8E and 13.5 TC was using a servo that sells for $349 locally. I mean WTF!

https://hobbytechtoys.com.au/product...SABEgK8VPD_BwE

Also curious why a thread on the Reedy motor being banned has stayed up but we were so quick to quash any chatter on the Trinity motor with the Trinity thread being locked. Double standard?
If you think they only won because of that servo, then sure.
Old 12-10-2023, 08:53 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
But why?

You can check it at the wheel even easier.
Because you'll need to prevent drivers from changing their pinion and spur after checking it.
Old 12-11-2023, 03:58 AM
Tech Elite

2023 WA EP ONR State Titles, the winner of 1/8E and 13.5 TC was using a servo that sells for $349 locally. I mean WTF!

Also curious why a thread on the Reedy motor being banned has stayed up but we were so quick to quash any chatter on the Trinity motor with the Trinity thread being locked. Double standard?
Sure, that's more than i would be ready to pay for a servo these days, but the price seems about the same as that from the top of the line Sanwa touring car servos, that were popular with team drivers back then (before the current PGS servos came up). And those were TC servos - only minimally faster but not nearly as strong. Does anyone need these? No. Should they be banned because of their price? Again, no. If you spend only..let's say half of that on a good quality servo, you'll be just as fine.

However, a random motor for half the price of a specially selected, certified mumbo-jumbo motor could be both: equally good, or total crap (luck of the draw, but not a fair chance. Because all the ones that failed the special selection will end up in this pool, while the good ones they found are taken out of it), compared to the more expensive motors. Unless the different rotor thing is true, then you'd always be at a disadvantage. Will it guarantee you to win? Hell no. But on track the differences are probably more drastic then from a normal good servo to such an expensive one.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 12-11-2023, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gigaplex
R1 Wurks isn't the only brand that has that. Hobbywing is probably the most popular example.
But you can't run a Hobbywing with the module plugged in.
Old 12-11-2023, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

If you think they only won because of that servo, then sure.
Trust me, it wasn't the servo, and nexxus wasn't even at the meet. The driver in question is far and away the best driver at the club in onroad, and I'm sure if he was using chyna-fake Futaba s3003's he'd have won too.
Old 12-11-2023, 07:50 AM
Tech Champion

Because you'll need to prevent drivers from changing their pinion and spur after checking it.
There's a tech table right next to the track.

You show your radio to driver b, he sees 100%+ epa, pull full throttle, rpm guage reads wheel speed. Repeat to witness driver b's tech. Drop both trucks on track and race.

Pulling the body and swapping gears somewhere in that is impossible not to be noticed.

Its going to be quicker. No need to even remove the body.
Old 12-11-2023, 07:58 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Sabin
Because it's faster. If a driver has to go back and forth from their pit to dial in a certain wheel RPM, that's going to take up so much time that you'll miss at least one heat. Motor RPM limit is a set-and-forget method and can easily be checked at tech.

And that means more racing.
Agree, on motor/esc rpm limit. But measure the end result at the wheel, not at the motor wires.

Measuring at the motor leads, you'd have to figure out final drive ratio, count gear teeth, etc. That would take forever. And require an expensive meter with inductive clamp and rpm reading.

My way is hold the truck up in front of a sensor and pull full throttle. Wheel speed would be perfectly fair without the extra hassle.

If the rpm is 9,000. Driver sets his esc during practice on his own time, or at home. And then techs it himself to see if it's close, and adjusts as needed.

You don't need to adjust it ever again, until you switch tracks or classes. Record your Esc settings for easier changes between tracks or classes.

If he's over at tech, he misses the round. Too bad, so sad. Tech is pass or fail. Not tune till it passes, while everyone waits. Something this easy shouldn't be an issue to any racer.

Although teching your way would still work. And be far better that the status quo. (Give or take the cost of the meter) It just would mean that some people would still be geared faster, or geared torque-ier. Which could be cool. But with only a rpm limit before gears, people could still gear to the moon with torque motors, and speeds would eventually be a problem again.

Which is why I suggest rpm limit after the gears, at the wheel. Be done with rule changes once and for all.

If wheelspeed was 100% equal for everyone, that could be a problem. Racing too close. No variability. Results too predictable.

But we still have 1/8th scale for real racing......

Last edited by Zerodefect; 12-11-2023 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-11-2023, 09:11 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by old_dude
I really think you can leave the HW OTA Programmer Module plugged in.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 12-11-2023, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mrreet2001
I really think you can leave the HW OTA Programmer Module plugged in.
I think you can indeed run it plugged in - at least as long as it is not connected to your phone via Bluetooth. If it is connected, the ESC stops reacting to radio commands, I believe - which is a good thing.
Old 12-11-2023, 10:55 AM
Tech Lord

Australian site so Australian price. In USD it will be about half making it more decent and not far from most high end Sanwa SSR/SXR servo's most people are using.
Old 12-11-2023, 12:00 PM
Tech Champion

Speed Equality is a myth even with the same tire Rpm: tire size changes with saucing, drivetrain inertia is different from one car to the other, etc...It will never end and will cost a fortune.....
Old 12-11-2023, 12:59 PM
Tech Champion

None of that is a big difference, or insurmountable.
Old 12-11-2023, 02:55 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by old_dude
Yes you can. I've done it. In fact it's a requirement to leave it plugged in while running for the historic telemetry to work with the G2S ESC.
Old 12-11-2023, 02:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DirkW
I think you can indeed run it plugged in - at least as long as it is not connected to your phone via Bluetooth. If it is connected, the ESC stops reacting to radio commands, I believe - which is a good thing.
Incorrect, it'll still run when connected to the Bluetooth. That's how the live telemetry feature works. I think it'll pause when in the parameters menu but you can just save and then disconnect again and it'll start running again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.