Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree45Likes

Rotor Master

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2023, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

So far, here are the test results I have for the motors I tested. I'm new at doing these tests, for forgive me if something looks off. Once I get more familiar with the Motor Master, I will post results from that.

Old 09-20-2023, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
So far, here are the test results I have for the motors I tested. I'm new at doing these tests, for forgive me if something looks off. Once I get more familiar with the Motor Master, I will post results from that.

This is what I get for my lack of imagination in naming things.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 09-20-2023, 10:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have only tuned a few motors so still learning. I have also noticed significant improvement in the rotor asymmetry after shimming so that the rotor is a little closer to the Hall effect sensors (but not so close as to risk touching). I assume the shimming does not improve the rotor performance, just improves the consistency of the rotor triggering the sensors. Then again, Electromagnetics was my worst subject in college 40 yrs ago
Old 09-20-2023, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HenryC
I have only tuned a few motors so still learning. I have also noticed significant improvement in the rotor asymmetry after shimming so that the rotor is a little closer to the Hall effect sensors (but not so close as to risk touching). I assume the shimming does not improve the rotor performance, just improves the consistency of the rotor triggering the sensors. Then again, Electromagnetics was my worst subject in college 40 yrs ago

Yes, that is accurate. I messed around with shimming and found that the motor doesn't always run better if you shim the rotor closer to the endbell. The asymmetry goes up, but the amps go up and the rpms go down.
Old 09-25-2023, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

I ran a video on the Rotor Master. Let me know if I need to change something.

https://youtu.be/YQ5pbAthSq8

trilerian likes this.
Old 09-27-2023, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Can anyone give me some info on bigger rotors to pick up so I can test different sensors for higher readings? When looking at these I see 13.0mm, 13.5mm, 14.0mm. I just am not sure which flavors are relevant. Would also be nice if they come with numbers so I can have a baseline to start off with.
Old 09-27-2023, 09:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by trilerian
Would also be nice if they come with numbers
I notice some tout their sintered rotors. Why is this a good thing?
Are all rotors sintered but not everyone advertises it?

Old 09-27-2023, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Interesting project! Just curious - since you mentioned that you implemented an external 12-bit DAC, did you consider/discount using an RP2040? IIRC, it has a 12-bit ADC built-in.
Old 09-27-2023, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn
Interesting project! Just curious - since you mentioned that you implemented an external 12-bit DAC, did you consider/discount using an RP2040? IIRC, it has a 12-bit ADC built-in.
I didn't look at any RPs to use. To be honest, I have my hands full learning the 328P. And preferably, I want a 14 bit adc, as I am going to have to oversample the mcp as is with the more sensitive sensors.

But for future projects I am starting to look into the esp32.
Old 10-02-2023, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

What I have found, the strength of the rotors will bounce all over the place. The funny thing is, the overall average will stay the same.
Old 10-02-2023, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
What I have found, the strength of the rotors will bounce all over the place. The funny thing is, the overall average will stay the same.
I think this maybe because you store rotors in the rotor safe. An interesting thing I have noticed is that if you get rotors too close to each other it changes their reading slightly. And this isn't just on my Rotor Master.
I try to be extra careful that I don't get rotors close to each other anymore, not only that but I had one break as well when it slammed into another.
Old 10-02-2023, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Yes, putting them close together changes them, but I only had them in that case to take the picture. I don't like to store them in there because I know it will change the rotors strength. However, I noticed this before I put them in that case together.
Old 10-02-2023, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

Could be the case, you still have essentially my prototype case. Also I do know that my programming has changed a little. I average 30 reads with any new unit going out. On top of that I have increased the resolution of the adc by 2 more bits by oversampling. That way my mod version will be able to read up to 4000 with a resolution of 1.

But regardless, I have found that the readings are stable from power up to power up so long as the rotor doesn't get near another rotor.
Old 10-02-2023, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Here is a pic of the Mod prototype.

It is measuring a Trinity 13.5mm Black rotor.
I also added reverse polarity protection to the Mod version so I am using the 3.5mm female bullets on the board.

STLNLST, PDR and OffRoadJunkie like this.
Old 10-04-2023, 03:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

New motors arriving friday but I’ll be out of town🥺. Looks like the offical testing won’t happen until Sunday. Still the first in Sac with the new hotness. Rotor results pending………

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.