Search
Like Tree16Likes

Hobbywing Tunalyzer

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
More food for thought: same motor, Hobbywing G4 13.5 in both these tests.

​​​​​​Only difference between these 2 runs is the Tunalyzer test voltage was changed from 7.4 to 3.4. No idea why the current would be higher on the lower voltage. Also, why 3.4? 1S voltage is 3.7.
I asked a question similar to this a few years ago. The answer was it had to do with the power output of the motor. It stays the same no matter the input voltage.

Edit: To expand further, if the power is the same for 3.4v and for 7.2v and power = torque x rpm, but the rpm drops, then torque needs to increase. Increasing torque will increase current. But the analysers are measuring unloaded so torque should be near zero. Maybe your bearings are bad?

Last edited by trilerian; 05-04-2023 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-04-2023, 07:53 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

​​​​​​Only difference between these 2 runs is the Tunalyzer test voltage was changed from 7.4 to 3.4. No idea why the current would be higher on the lower voltage. Also, why 3.4? 1S voltage is 3.7.
I don't know why, but from 1s experience Trinity RevTechs do not like the same timings that work fine on 2s.
Old 05-04-2023, 10:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

On 1s it's harder for the high strength rotor to spin. So it draws more amps. 4amp sweet spot vs 6amps 2s kinda normal rotors. your in the middle at 5amps. Bigger round rotors also increase timing. Smaller diameter rotors decrease timing!!! It changes the timing about 20 degree swing. They hit different on the sensors. Big strong rotors like low timing. Smaller rotors like high timing and boost. Buy like 6 way different rotors. Put them in all your motors and test.
8⁸
Old 05-04-2023, 03:37 PM
PDR
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Back EMF will increase as the RPM increases - this will increase impedance of the motor. I think what you're seeing is that at 3.4V, it has a lower impedance, but I wouldn't have expected it to be such a big difference. Interesting observation!
Old 05-04-2023, 03:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trilerian
I asked a question similar to this a few years ago. The answer was it had to do with the power output of the motor. It stays the same no matter the input voltage.

Edit: To expand further, if the power is the same for 3.4v and for 7.2v and power = torque x rpm, but the rpm drops, then torque needs to increase. Increasing torque will increase current. But the analysers are measuring unloaded so torque should be near zero. Maybe your bearings are bad?
I can't see how power would possibly stay the same with reduced voltage like this. Input power = voltage x current. No way for mechanical output power to exceed input. My ESC telemetry shows me that under load, current goes up, not down, when increasing voltage with the same motor. There is no power output at no-load peak RPM either, torque is zero.

I doubt the bearings are bad, this motor has only done 2 events and it podiumed both times.
DirkW likes this.
Old 05-04-2023, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

As we all know, every electrical device has an amp draw. And the less voltage there is the harder that device has to work. Because of that, it draws more amps.
Old 05-04-2023, 06:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
As we all know, every electrical device has an amp draw. And the less voltage there is the harder that device has to work. Because of that, it draws more amps.
Ohm's law disagrees with you.
Old 05-05-2023, 03:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OffRoadJunkie
It's just not that simple all the time. If you take e.g. a LiPo Charger and the settings you've selected require let's say 240W from the PSU... then yes, if your PSU only delivers 12V than your charger will draw 20A, while at 24V only 10A (assuming the charger can take both input voltages).

So note: this "the fewer the voltage, the higher the current" is only valid for a fixed electrical power. But not all devices have such fixed power. Some will simply produce/draw less overall power, when you cut the voltage down.

If we take a simple resistor of 1 Ohm and supply 10V, you'll get a current of 10A through it. Same resistor with only 5V? No, not 20A but only 5A. So half the voltage equals half the amps here.

So in layman's terms you need the voltage (often compared to water "pressure") to push a certain current (compared to amount of water flowing per second) past a resistor (obstacle). If you don't supply enough pressure, you get less flow.
gigaplex likes this.

Last edited by DirkW; 05-05-2023 at 03:54 AM.
Old 05-05-2023, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

I get it. I understand electricity. I am a master MECP tech. It just depends on what you are doing with it. Example, we would run electronics that cruise at 14.4 volts and low amperage. As soon as the voltage drops to 12, the amps shoot up. When I was a forklift tech, many moons ago, I would get a lot of calls to replace fuses because people would use the forklifts with too low of a voltage and it would raise the amperage and pop the fuse.
Old 05-16-2023, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Has anyone figured out the maximum amp draw the Tunaylzer is capable of handling?

Thanks
Old 05-30-2023, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by trilerian
Has anyone figured out the maximum amp draw the Tunaylzer is capable of handling?

Thanks

I have not looked into it or tried it.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by STLNLST
there are a ton of us locally that can help you. I can show you and explain whats been working for me.

With LSR Speedway closed, where are you all racing now? Are you all going to the Delta Speedway?
Old 06-01-2023, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

How do you hook up a printer to this?
Old 06-01-2023, 10:22 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
How do you hook up a printer to this?
You can’t, yet. Thats why I’m waiting for V2.
Old 06-01-2023, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bsthetech
You can’t, yet. Thats why I’m waiting for V2.

That sucks!

What's the USB port for?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.