R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Radio and Electronics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/)
-   -   Hobbywing Tunalyzer (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/1112197-hobbywing-tunalyzer.html)

OffRoadJunkie 04-28-2023 12:26 PM

Hobbywing Tunalyzer

Is there anyone on here who is a pro at tuning brushless motors? I have watched a ton of videos on tuning a motor and they keep talking about the 6 amp sweet spot, which we all know is not accurate. They talk about how the differences in kV and amp changes, but they don't mention what exactly the changes are. No matter how high the timing goes, the kV and amperage will change. Do any of you know exactly how to find the sweet spot in the timing? What is the relation in kV and amperage that I have to look at? My guess is, I need to look for a sudden spike in amperage then set the timing just before that point.

I haven't received it yet, but Amain just notified me that it was just shipped.

gigaplex 04-28-2023 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie (Post 16000698)
Is there anyone on here who is a pro at tuning brushless motors? I have watched a ton of videos on tuning a motor and they keep talking about the 6 amp sweet spot, which we all know is not accurate. They talk about how the differences in kV and amp changes, but they don't mention what exactly the changes are. No matter how high the timing goes, the kV and amperage will change. Do any of you know exactly how to find the sweet spot in the timing? What is the relation in kV and amperage that I have to look at? My guess is, I need to look for a sudden spike in amperage then set the timing just before that point.

The 6A "sweet spot" is outdated info. It worked okay for older motors prior to the short stack craze but it's not really applicable anymore.

DirkW 04-29-2023 03:01 AM

Just setting it to 6A was never the truly correct way to do it anyway, it's just a short cut, since the correct (and much more complicated and time consuming - i.e. tedious - method,) happened to end up around 6A most of the time, so people started just going for that directly. At some point in advancing timing, you'll see less and less gain of kv yet an increased rise of current drawn (means also increase of temps). I doubt you could get any two people to agree on what point the exact sweet spot is on relation to those two curves, it's just "when the amperage gets too high compared to the increase of kv"... sooo much easier to just straight go for 6A, right? :smile:

Roelof 04-29-2023 03:11 AM

And if you have found a sweet point, then you have to find the right gearing with it. Isn's it nice to look up a setup by your self?

STLNLST 04-29-2023 07:08 AM

Marcos????

STLNLST 04-29-2023 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie (Post 16000698)

where in Cali are you located?

Marcos.J 04-29-2023 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by STLNLST (Post 16000852)
Marcos????

the 6amp myth still lives
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rct...ffbb50cd3.jpeg

Vertebreaker 04-29-2023 09:18 AM

It seems for most that the basic idea of when you tune them you are watching for the intersection of where the Kv of the motor isn't increasing substantially compared to the amp draw of increasing the timing further. It seems like many people push it to the edge and others see where that gain slows and then back it off a half amp or full amp from there depending on the usage, atmospheric conditions, etc. Wasn't the 6 amp shortcut only really supposed to be relevant for 17.5T motors? I wasn't really sure.

OffRoadJunkie 04-29-2023 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by STLNLST (Post 16000853)
where in Cali are you located?

Sacramento area.

OffRoadJunkie 04-29-2023 07:02 PM

Thank you for all your help.

I just received the package so I'm going to play around with it for a bit.

STLNLST 04-30-2023 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie (Post 16000988)
Sacramento area.

there are a ton of us locally that can help you. I can show you and explain whats been working for me.

OffRoadJunkie 05-01-2023 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by STLNLST (Post 16001249)
there are a ton of us locally that can help you. I can show you and explain whats been working for me.

I'll have to hit you up on that.

gigaplex 05-03-2023 07:32 AM

Just got my Tunalyzer today. Comparing the same motor on both the SkyRC analyser and the Hobbywing Tunalyzer, the KV values are significantly different. 4100 vs 4600. Despite the battery voltage being at 8.4V and the Hobbywing regulates down to 7.4V, it records a higher RPM. Also the Bluetooth adaptor mode doesn't work with my G2S ESC, it drops out while reading the parameters. It seems to work on my 80A stock spec though.

quantum 05-03-2023 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by gigaplex (Post 16001989)
Just got my Tunalyzer today. Comparing the same motor on both the SkyRC analyser and the Hobbywing Tunalyzer, the KV values are significantly different. 4100 vs 4600. Despite the battery voltage being at 8.4V and the Hobbywing regulates down to 7.4V, it records a higher RPM. Also the Bluetooth adaptor mode doesn't work with my G2S ESC, it drops out while reading the parameters. It seems to work on my 80A stock spec though.

that is quite different. Any insights as to why that would be? I wonder how it compares to the motorlyser

OffRoadJunkie 05-03-2023 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by gigaplex (Post 16001989)

Well, that doesn't make me feel too confident in the Tunalyzer. I received mine last Friday. I played around with it a little, but I didn't really do any testing. I'll run tests with it, while using a meter, and see what the accuracy is.