Wiki Posts
Search

Spektrum Radio and Reciever Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Spektrum Radio and Reciever Help

Getting back into the hobby after a 10+ year lay off and im trying to get back up to speed. When I got out, the last radio I purchased/used was a Spektrum DX3R with the SR3520 and SR3100 DSM2 receivers. I take it, though these would still work together, the stuff is essentailly obsolete and not supportable?

That said, looking at there website, it seems like Spektrum has more flavors then ever. I really enjoyed using my DX3R back when I was racing, but what is their current setup like? Are their products still reliable? Also I noticed it seems like some recievers have antenas, some do not, and some have built in telemitry it seems? Does the telemtry only work with some radios? Do all recievers work with all the radios or do you have to be careful mixing and matching flavors.

Excuse my ignorance as I try to catch up lol, Thanks.
Old 01-18-2023, 05:30 AM
Tech Master

Hello, I still race very competitively (or at least I take it very seriously ) with a pair of DX3R Pro and a regular DX3R. Never had a problem in all these years, and I run on a weekly basis. Still feel it's as precise as ever.

So no need to switch just because you think it's obsolete. If it works, and you have the receiver - just use it, and see from then if you'd like an upgrade.

Telemetry only works with some radios, they have it covered well in all their radio/receiver sites. However I don't think it's really neccessary, and for racing it's illegal anyways.

Antenna - if your receiver doesn't have it, fine. If it does, fine as well

If you get a new radio, check for Spektrum's compatibility - I use my DX3R Pro with the new DSMX receivers (simply because that's what they sell now), they are compatible with the older DSM2 radios.
Old 01-18-2023, 09:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by UrabusDenis
Hello, I still race very competitively (or at least I take it very seriously ) with a pair of DX3R Pro and a regular DX3R. Never had a problem in all these years, and I run on a weekly basis. Still feel it's as precise as ever.

So no need to switch just because you think it's obsolete. If it works, and you have the receiver - just use it, and see from then if you'd like an upgrade.

Telemetry only works with some radios, they have it covered well in all their radio/receiver sites. However I don't think it's really neccessary, and for racing it's illegal anyways.

Antenna - if your receiver doesn't have it, fine. If it does, fine as well

If you get a new radio, check for Spektrum's compatibility - I use my DX3R Pro with the new DSMX receivers (simply because that's what they sell now), they are compatible with the older DSM2 radios.
Thanks for the reply and the great information. When looking at Spektrum's website, It looked like the DSMX receivers were ad ons. or for air only? Maybe I was looking in a bad/incorrect spot. I see alot of DSMR receivers.

Would the DX5 Pro 2021 be considered their new "Top of the line" Radio?
Old 01-18-2023, 10:48 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by CREWMAN
Thanks for the reply and the great information. When looking at Spektrum's website, It looked like the DSMX receivers were ad ons. or for air only? Maybe I was looking in a bad/incorrect spot. I see alot of DSMR receivers.

If you want a topline radio I would not look at Spektrum. Even the budget models from Futaba and Sanwa are much better. Also the Flysky noble is becomming a very hot item.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof
If you want a topline radio I would not look at Spektrum. Even the budget models from Futaba and Sanwa are much better. Also the Flysky noble is becomming a very hot item.
Thanks and good to know. I guess I ment more along the lines of if that was the top of the line that Spektrum has to offer? From a Futaba or Sanwa, what would be the radio of choice there for a hobbyiest who likes cool stuff and would race occationally? I was looking at the Futaba 4pm, but wasnt sure if that was considered out dated. The only other radio I had back when I ran 10+ years ago outside of Spektrum and JR racing was a Airtronics M11, but this was when I was a "Kid" and always hated how heavy it was. Hence why I ended up with the DX3R
Old 01-18-2023, 11:10 PM
Tech Lord

The 4PM has almost a same functionality as the 7PX but less channels in a less fancy housing and a less fancy screen. It supports the common S-FHSS, T-FHSS and superfast SR modes. You can co cheaper with the 3PV and 4PV that only do not support the SR mode.
Sanwa has the MT4/MT44 as a step in, I believe the MT44 also supports their superfast SSR mode.
Even both brands in normal digital servo mode are faster than the Spectrum.

Spektrum has never tried to make faster systems and with many AVC sets it looks like they are focussing more on the basher market.
Old 01-18-2023, 11:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks and good to know. I guess I ment more along the lines of if that was the top of the line that Spektrum has to offer? From a Futaba or Sanwa, what would be the radio of choice there for a hobbyiest who likes cool stuff and would race occationally? I was looking at the Futaba 4pm, but wasnt sure if that was considered out dated. The only other radio I had back when I ran 10+ years ago outside of Spektrum and JR racing was a Airtronics M11, but this was when I was a "Kid" and always hated how heavy it was. Hence why I ended up with the DX3R
To actually answer your question, the current Spektrum radios still support DSM2. I have a DX5C and DX5 Pro and they both support DSM2 receivers (I use some clone DSM2 receivers, you just have to bind at 16.5ms). DX5 Pro is their top of the line radio.

Futaba 4PM is an excellent radio, Sanwa is excellent as well, but their latest sub-$500 radios are not backwards compatible with older Sanwa receivers.
Old 01-19-2023, 12:43 AM
Tech Master

Sorry, yes I meant DSMR. They are all backwards compatible with the DSM2 transmitter you have.

DX5R Pro is their current top radio - as said, again it's compatible with DSM2 receivers.

If you're only getting back, I suggest using the equipment you have for the moment and upgrade later, if you feel the need. I'm very happy with my DX3R's for racing.
Old 01-19-2023, 06:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof
The 4PM has almost a same functionality as the 7PX but less channels in a less fancy housing and a less fancy screen. It supports the common S-FHSS, T-FHSS and superfast SR modes. You can co cheaper with the 3PV and 4PV that only do not support the SR mode.
Sanwa has the MT4/MT44 as a step in, I believe the MT44 also supports their superfast SSR mode.
Even both brands in normal digital servo mode are faster than the Spectrum.

Spektrum has never tried to make faster systems and with many AVC sets it looks like they are focussing more on the basher market.
Understood, thanks for the information!

Originally Posted by RazorRC
To actually answer your question, the current Spektrum radios still support DSM2. I have a DX5C and DX5 Pro and they both support DSM2 receivers (I use some clone DSM2 receivers, you just have to bind at 16.5ms). DX5 Pro is their top of the line radio.

Futaba 4PM is an excellent radio, Sanwa is excellent as well, but their latest sub-$500 radios are not backwards compatible with older Sanwa receivers.
Thanks for the information!

Originally Posted by UrabusDenis
Sorry, yes I meant DSMR. They are all backwards compatible with the DSM2 transmitter you have.

DX5R Pro is their current top radio - as said, again it's compatible with DSM2 receivers.

If you're only getting back, I suggest using the equipment you have for the moment and upgrade later, if you feel the need. I'm very happy with my DX3R's for racing.
Thanks again for the feedback and advice!

Going to start with what I already have for sure. and see how far I jump back into the hobby.