• 1 Post By lowspark
  • 1 Post By gfranck

Offroad Track Timing Systems

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 07:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default Offroad Track Timing Systems

I have not looked into this for quite a few years, but have there been any advances (less expensive) in track timing systems? My Laps or otherwise?

I would like a system that I can setup on the track in my yard, and also somewhat easily take to a few local tracks that no longer have any support or events. So I can time myself and get some lap data.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-16-2022, 07:40 AM
Tech Lord

If you are alone you can setup a laser beam to drive through. but there are some stand alone timing systems.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

There are IR (infrared) loop systems under various names. Trackmate is probably the largest of them: https://trackmateracing.com/shop/en/
These require an overhead loop and the transponders need an unobstructed view to the loop, so transponders must be placed carefully.
You can get a setup with the timing system and three transponders for under $300. A MyLaps RC4 system will run you $3,000 with no transponders. You can occasionally pick up used RC4 decoders for $1,500.00.
Old 12-16-2022, 01:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Lapmonitor is what you want. Take a look
LapMonitor
Old 12-16-2022, 07:15 PM
Tech Addict

Wow, Lap Monitor IR system is looking good!

Seems to be what I am looking for, and only $150 usd with additional transponders less than $50.

lexusbest likes this.
Old 12-17-2022, 07:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Precision1
Wow, Lap Monitor IR system is looking good!

Seems to be what I am looking for, and only $150 usd with additional transponders less than $50.
Lap Monitor requires you to place the counter on the inside of the track pointing out to count laps down the straight... need to be careful not to place it in a spot that is prone to getting hit from lap traffic. The timing system is limited to cell phone and not easy to export results for public sharing for a group setting.

Trackmate is better for a group of drivers with a nicer software package for exporting race results online, etc.

I have both systems and it's nice to pack the Lap Monitor when I travel to a track for open practice without their timing loop on... if I'm going to host my own event in a parking lot or backyard track then I use Trackmate.
Old 12-17-2022, 05:39 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by billdelong
Lap Monitor requires you to place the counter on the inside of the track pointing out to count laps down the straight... need to be careful not to place it in a spot that is prone to getting hit from lap traffic. The timing system is limited to cell phone and not easy to export results for public sharing for a group setting.

Trackmate is better for a group of drivers with a nicer software package for exporting race results online, etc.

I have both systems and it's nice to pack the Lap Monitor when I travel to a track for open practice without their timing loop on... if I'm going to host my own event in a parking lot or backyard track then I use Trackmate.
With the Lap Monitor system, do you put the transponder inside and aim it through a clear window?
Ever have any issues with it reading laps?
Old 12-18-2022, 04:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Precision1
With the Lap Monitor system, do you put the transponder inside and aim it through a clear window?

Ever have any issues with it reading laps?

Yes, both systems use IR, with Lap Monitor I use zip ties and mount the PTX on the rear wing mount where it points to the side. Trackmate uses a smaller PTX with IR going through the windshield. Never missed a lap count with either system.

There are fewer PTX numbers with LapMonitor and once ran into a problem where someone else had the same PTX number as me so we couldn't run together at the same time, probably a good idea to get a backup PTX just in case you visit a busy track with others also using Lap Monitor.
gfranck likes this.
Old 12-21-2022, 08:14 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

We use LapMonitor for our parking lot racing. Works great for us.
Note that it does not work like MyLaps as it does not set up mains etc... we base our qualifying on number of laps and use hot lap as a tie breaker. (Kiss method of racing)
No issues with counting laps, even with 2 cars crossing the loop at the same time.

LapMonitor just came out with an upgrade allowing others at the track to view results on their cell phones.
And they have the ability to change the number on the transponder by 10 digits...
gfranck likes this.
Old 12-26-2022, 08:39 AM
Tech Initiate

It is possible to use LapMonitor with PC race management apps (with mains) using LapMonitor software gateway (free app)
Thanks for mentioning our two last big updates (more too come ...):
- You can now share in real time all lap times on multiple phone with one LapMonitor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlJe0VhcJ8Q
- On transponder manufactured since november you can change the transponder number, so if someone have same number as you when you arrive on the track you can change it !

Originally Posted by lowspark
We use LapMonitor for our parking lot racing. Works great for us.
Note that it does not work like MyLaps as it does not set up mains etc... we base our qualifying on number of laps and use hot lap as a tie breaker. (Kiss method of racing)
No issues with counting laps, even with 2 cars crossing the loop at the same time.

LapMonitor just came out with an upgrade allowing others at the track to view results on their cell phones.
And they have the ability to change the number on the transponder by 10 digits...
Precision1 likes this.
Old 12-27-2022, 07:26 AM
Tech Addict

Lap Monitor app updates look good!

Price is lower too, $137 shipped to the US.
Order placed.