• 2 Post By Silverbullet555
  • 1 Post By disaster999

Different handling with different radios

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 01:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Different handling with different radios

I found recently that the cause of a difference in handling between a friends 1/10 electric TC and mine was due to the radio (and receiver). My car was noticeably harder to keep on line than his. When we swap radios (and receivers) between cars, the handling trait goes with it.

I have a Futaba 3PM 2.4Ghz (from 2007). My friend has a Futaba 7PX-R.

I could just buy a modern transmitter but that's not in my budget at the moment.

It could just be difference in latency between the two.
I'm wondering if the receiver isn't able to allow enough current through to the servo due to a voltage drop when the wheel is initially turned so I'm thinking of giving the servo it's own power source.

Has anyone had experience with this before?
Any thoughts and/or suggestions?
Old 11-16-2022, 03:42 AM
Tech Lord

Which receivers?
The 3PM comes normally with a T-FHSS receiver but if you have a an S-FHSS receiver or set the servo type to "normal" then yes, you will have some slower response. You can bind each transnmitter with he other receiver to narrow down the issue.

But there are other things as wel to look at like a bad potmeter on the steering wheel..
Old 11-16-2022, 05:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
Which receivers?
The 3PM comes normally with a T-FHSS receiver but if you have a an S-FHSS receiver or set the servo type to "normal" then yes, you will have some slower response. You can bind each transnmitter with he other receiver to narrow down the issue.

But there are other things as wel to look at like a bad potmeter on the steering wheel..
The 3PM predates T-FHSS by many years. It uses FASST.
Old 11-16-2022, 05:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I'd be looking at the settings in the radio. It seems like you like his settings which is certainly a good thing to know. It's not always that it's faster, but sometimes slower. On my radio, most of my servo speeds are turned down and I used negative expo to remove some of the twitchiness.

All that being said, Amain has a deal on the 4pm radio which is a really good radio at it's price point (Low $200s). Stack a coupon on top and it's a great investment.

mrreet2001 and Rcdad42 like this.
Old 11-16-2022, 06:01 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
Which receivers?
The 3PM comes normally with a T-FHSS receiver
Please tell me more.
Old 11-16-2022, 06:11 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by gigaplex
The 3PM predates T-FHSS by many years. It uses FASST.
You are right beside there is also an older cristal version, my bad. I think I was confused with the 3PV.
Although the 7PX does support FASST, saddly it does not support this version FASST so nope, that can not be tested.

Old 11-16-2022, 03:04 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I've set the 2 radios up the same where they have the same settings, neg steering expo, steering lock on the setup station etc.

Both cars have the same setup, motor, esc, tyres and body but different servos, but I've swapped those between cars and there was no difference.

My current servo can run off up to 7.4v, so I'm going to directly power it off the battery via an external BEC and see what happens.
Old 11-16-2022, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Both transmitters have the same settings and steering lock on the setup gauge. I did it myslef so I know they are the same.

Both cars are responsive as each other. The difference is mine understeers off the racing line where as my friends stays on the racing line.

​​​​​​When we swap radios between cars, my now stays on the racing line and his pushes of the racing line.
Old 11-17-2022, 05:14 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

You are using a rather old radio with rather old technology. Upgrade to something that doesn't use FASST.
Old 11-17-2022, 05:37 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My brother currently is using Sanwa's MT44 and was having some handling issues with his car. He is driving the same car as some of the faster guys at the track and got the same exact setup as them. So trying to sort out the problem, they tried driving his car to see what the issue was. Turns out its just my brother's driving habit and nothing to do with his car. They did, however, commented on his radio. They are used to driving with the M17 so going back down to MT44 they did noticed some minor differences between the mid range radio and the top of the line. Mainly the smoothness of the steering and throttle inputs. As if there are bigger gaps between the inputs or dead bands where the car doesnt react with more input and all of a sudden it jerks suddenly as if its trying to catch up to the input. They find it hard to be smooth with the car on his radio.

Might be a similar case here. Being your radio is 15 years old there will be differences in performance, not to mention wear and tear in your radio as well.
hunterdawg likes this.
Old 11-17-2022, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

About two years ago I upgraded from a decade old Airtronics MX-3X to a Noble NB4 and it made a HUGE difference to how well I could control my cars on the track. It's hard to put into words the difference it made - but my cars were easier to drive faster with more consistency.

I know you have budget concerns, but getting a modern radio with lower latency will make a big difference.
Old 12-10-2022, 06:51 PM
Tech Regular

A big part of differences I've noticed between transmitters has come down to spring tension on the wheel. If you switch to a low-tension wheel it can feel like a car has effortless steering... but if you're not used to it it can feel like too much initial steering. Another setup with a higher tension can feel like the car is very point-and-shoot: like it's hard to do sweepers but easy to do 90-degree corners. If your transmitter has adjustable tension it's worth playing with to see what you like!