old guy back with ? servos >

old guy back with ? servos

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sosidge

old guy back with ? servos

Old 04-16-2022, 06:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Default old guy back with ? servos

just beginning to returm to hobby. working on losi minis . i have old servos from 1/12 pan cars. will these work with new radio/reciever sets?
Old 04-19-2022, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

If they're digital you'll be fine. Analog servos can burn out if run with some of the newer receivers unless you can set them to analog mode.
Old 04-20-2022, 06:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by anthonyscardina
If they're digital you'll be fine. Analog servos can burn out if run with some of the newer receivers unless you can set them to analog mode.
Not really true, the issue is not digital/analogue, the issue is HRS/SSR/etc. aka high frequency settings on the radio. And these are switched on or off at the transmitter, not the receiver.

I'm willing to be corrected on this but I'm not aware of any radios that CAN'T be run in "standard" mode for analogue servos.
Old 04-20-2022, 07:55 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by sosidge
Not really true, the issue is not digital/analogue, the issue is HRS/SSR/etc. aka high frequency settings on the radio. And these are switched on or off at the transmitter, not the receiver.

I'm willing to be corrected on this but I'm not aware of any radios that CAN'T be run in "standard" mode for analogue servos.
Nope, you are wrong. Analog servo's need to have a framerate of at least 16msec, digital servo's using the same 1.5msec center pulse width will work up to 333Hz framerate. Like the digital servo setting in Futaba transmitter uses but also the older Futaba HRS has a 5.5msec framerate as also the Sprectrum DX pro transmitters can go up to 5.5msec framerate.

SR, SSR, SXR, SBUS and several other very high speed modes use a different pulse width (SBUS even a digital serial code) and will only work with compatible servo's.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roelof
Nope, you are wrong. Analog servo's need to have a framerate of at least 16msec, digital servo's using the same 1.5msec center pulse width will work up to 333Hz framerate. Like the digital servo setting in Futaba transmitter uses but also the older Futaba HRS has a 5.5msec framerate as also the Sprectrum DX pro transmitters can go up to 5.5msec framerate.

SR, SSR, SXR, SBUS and several other very high speed modes use a different pulse width (SBUS even a digital serial code) and will only work with compatible servo's.
How am I wrong in saying that an analogue servo can still be run on "normal" response speed from the transmitter?

Why do Futaba still sell analogue servos if they don't work with their radios?
gigaplex likes this.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:08 AM
Tech Lord

If I did read it right you say the burnouts with analog servo's is not about analog/digital but super high response sytems.. Again, it is about the analog/digital setting because in analog mode the servo signal is forced to 16msec while digital (depending the transmitter) can go as low to 3msec (333Hz) with which analog servo's will not work.
Old 04-20-2022, 06:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I was trying to stay out of the nitty gritty, the point was to be careful with analog servos on modern radio systems.
Old 04-20-2022, 07:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
If I did read it right you say the burnouts with analog servo's is not about analog/digital but super high response sytems.. Again, it is about the analog/digital setting because in analog mode the servo signal is forced to 16msec while digital (depending the transmitter) can go as low to 3msec (333Hz) with which analog servo's will not work.
Except it is about the protocol speed. You can burn out a digital servo too if you set the protocol incorrectly.