Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mrreet2001

Recommend Transmitter to Swap across multiple RTRs

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 05:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Recommend Transmitter to Swap across multiple RTRs

With the collection growing of cars and trucks, I'm looking to replace all my RTR radios and receivers to something easier (LCD) to program, has all the essential adjustments, and has cheap and available receivers. I'm already trapped with paying $$$ for high priced futaba receivers for my high end models. I need a model to replace mostly Arrma 3s and Traxxas RTRs- slash, trx4, rustler type stuff.
Old 12-10-2021, 06:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by swerv512
With the collection growing of cars and trucks, I'm looking to replace all my RTR radios and receivers to something easier (LCD) to program, has all the essential adjustments, and has cheap and available receivers. I'm already trapped with paying $$$ for high priced futaba receivers for my high end models. I need a model to replace mostly Arrma 3s and Traxxas RTRs- slash, trx4, rustler type stuff.
I have set my family up with Sanwa M17 transmitters. Now while the Sanwa branded receivers are pretty much priced about the same as Futaba you can get aftermarket branded receivers. We are using Dasmikro brand receivers for the Sanwa. you can pick them up for around $37 shipped off ebay. With over 40 different models on 3 transmitters we have not had any issues using these budget receivers. Price of the transmitters is nothing when you start adding up the costs of extra receivers.
Old 12-10-2021, 06:35 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by swerv512
What do you consider $$$ for receivers? Futaba R203GF retails for $50
gigaplex likes this.
Old 12-10-2021, 06:56 AM
Tech Lord

Some GT3 or GT5 transmitter, receivers can be found for just a few dollar.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Depends on what you call expensive for receivers.

My kid uses his 3PV for that. It's $130 and if it gets damaged it isn't the end of the world. Receivers are in the $40's depending on what you get. If receiver cost is an issue, perhaps Sanwa with some generic receivers. Or perhaps Flysky.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:26 AM
Tech Regular

I'm looking for at least 4 channels and wireless receivers. If I can save $30-40 on each receiver, the total savings for a fleet will easily cover the initial transmitter purchase. I'm looking at the Flysky GT5 for purchase. Looks like exactly what I can hand my 10 year old and yet still has enough adjustment for me.
Old 12-10-2021, 12:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Just know that the lower price will always come with some compromise. From what I've heard the UI on the GT5 can be a nightmare. But it does seem like the best fit for your overall requirements.

Depending on how many Arrmas you have and how old they are it might be cost effective to get a better Spektrum transmitter that works with the receivers already in them.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:51 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Joshstix
Just know that the lower price will always come with some compromise. From what I've heard the UI on the GT5 can be a nightmare. But it does seem like the best fit for your overall requirements.

Depending on how many Arrmas you have and how old they are it might be cost effective to get a better Spektrum transmitter that works with the receivers already in them.
thanks for the heads up. The more gt5 reviews I see, the more I think it's a good choice.
Old 12-12-2021, 11:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Sorry to throw this in since you sound close to having your mind made up, but I have a GT5 and am not a fan. It seems to go through batteries like nothing else, and with a lipo pack mine seems to drain while switched off. It will beep endlessly at low voltage too. I don’t think there is a antenna-less receiver option either. The knock-off antenna-less receivers for Sanwa and Futaba go for $30. A 3PV of 4PM might also serve as a good backup for your race radio if you ever have a problem with it.
Old 12-15-2021, 08:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just use your Traxxas TQi for all of your Traxxas cars (it has multi-model memory) and a Spektrum DX5C/Rugged/Pro for all of your Arrma cars. You won't even need to get many/any receivers.