Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

LiFe battery charging question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 03:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Forget about percentages. Those are only (gu)estimates - your charger measures the voltage and that should be the same every time.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

Im a long time user of Life battery the ole A123 best and safest battery I have ever used . you can literally take a hammer to 1 that is fully charged with no bad results. I store them fully charged or near 3.2volts a cell only bad thing I wish they were near the li-ion cell voltage but they are not..
Old 10-16-2021, 08:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the rc guy
Im a long time user of Life battery the ole A123 best and safest battery I have ever used . you can literally take a hammer to 1 that is fully charged with no bad results. I store them fully charged or near 3.2volts a cell only bad thing I wish they were near the li-ion cell voltage but they are not..
If you can "literally take a hammer" to a battery with no bad results you're not hammering very hard.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Talking

Originally Posted by gigaplex
If you can "literally take a hammer" to a battery with no bad results you're not hammering very hard.
like always . you can drill a hole thru a fully charged battery with no issue.. and a 8 lb sledge has no easy setting on it..
Old 10-19-2021, 07:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Qi wireless charging?

I have the protek 2100 life battery on my futaba 7pxr. Anyone know how to modify it for wireless charging without spending $120 on the futaba charger? I’ve seen the sanwa m17 modded with a Qi card for wireless charging. But not sure how to wire up a 7pxr. Anyone know if this universal adapter soldered on a futaba plug will work? Or do I need a mini lipo charger or regulator as well?

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1901#technical-details

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...mDL599hlkH0iOr
TIA
Old 10-21-2021, 02:00 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by the rc guy
like always . you can drill a hole thru a fully charged battery with no issue.. and a 8 lb sledge has no easy setting on it..
No you can't. A drill bit is conductive, it'll short the cells when you puncture it. LiFe are safer than LiPo but they will still ignite.
Old 10-21-2021, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

They can ignite. I think I saw some video on YouTube a few years ago, where some guy tried to get a LiPo to blow (willingly and on purpose)... IIRC, even driving a nail through it didn't do the trick. Still I wouldn't call it safe to do that, though (far from it).
Old 10-21-2021, 05:42 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DirkW
They can ignite. I think I saw some video on YouTube a few years ago, where some guy tried to get a LiPo to blow (willingly and on purpose)... IIRC, even driving a nail through it didn't do the trick. Still I wouldn't call it safe to do that, though (far from it).
When I dispose of LiPos I put a nail through it to ignite it in a controlled fashion, so it doesn't ignite in the trash (we don't have readily accessible recycling centres). If they're at storage voltage they'll usually burn slowly. If fully charged, they bounce as they violently erupt. If they're flat, they get hot and puff and eject smoke but rarely is there a visible flame.

Here's a video of a LiFe battery igniting. I haven't tested it myself as I don't have any that need disposing, but they definitely can ignite.