Search
Like Tree5Likes

LiFe battery charging question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 05:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default LiFe battery charging question

I am attempting to charge a ProTek LiFe transmitter battery for the first time. I really don't have much experience with LiFe, or in this case one that is 6.6v (2100 mah).

I set the charger to 3.3 volts per cell and 2.1 amp charge rate. I think it said it was fully charged in less than a minute. It is brand new, and it had 6.5v on it, so that doesn't surprise me much.

I am just wondering if I should be charging it at 3.6v (7.2)? Like I said, I know very little about these so being cautious, but there was a review on amain that seemed to suggest that charging to 7.2 was the way to go? My brain says this is wrong lol, but I thought I'd inquire to the collective here.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:51 AM
Tech Regular

It also states something about a break in period of 20 cycles? Should I set up the icharger to do that? Or just let it happen naturally lol.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:02 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I just used the default LiFe settings on the icharger, no need to mess with voltages. I didn't pre-cycle them, I just didn't let them drain all the way.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:15 AM
Tech Regular

Ok I get it now after your response and some more reading. Going to charge at the default rate of 3.6 per cell and use 2.1 amps since its a 2100 mah battery.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:05 PM
Tech Adept

I charge all my LiFePo batteries up to 3.65V/cell.
Max current depends on the battery, but you can't be wrong withcharging at 1C (what you already did with 2.1A and your 2100mAh battery)
Old 10-08-2021, 12:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Angry

Originally Posted by {tpc}
I am attempting to charge a ProTek LiFe transmitter battery for the first time. I really don't have much experience with LiFe, or in this case one that is 6.6v (2100 mah).

I set the charger to 3.3 volts per cell and 2.1 amp charge rate. I think it said it was fully charged in less than a minute. It is brand new, and it had 6.5v on it, so that doesn't surprise me much.

I am just wondering if I should be charging it at 3.6v (7.2)? Like I said, I know very little about these so being cautious, but there was a review on amain that seemed to suggest that charging to 7.2 was the way to go? My brain says this is wrong lol, but I thought I'd inquire to the collective here.
You have the same battery as me, so I think my question is relevant to this thread, and of course the battery...

Are you experiencing any weird behavior with the Protek LiFe 2100mAh battery? For instance, I have charged mine using the LiFe mode on my charger, and the end voltage is 7.4V, all cells balanced. However, after about 5-10 minutes, the total voltage is back down to 6.6V. Furthermore, after discharging the battery down to 5.6V cutoff voltage, the resting voltage of the battery does back up to 6.3V after about 15 minutes, again, all cells balanced.

What the hell is going on here?!?

Old 10-09-2021, 08:03 AM
Tech Regular

I honestly don’t know. I have only charged it once. It reads 6.5v in my 7pxr, and that shows 4 of 5 battery bars lit or something like that. So I assume it’s fully charged.

Does the battery say 6.6 or 7.4v on it as a pack? I think if it’s resting at 6.6, your fine as if same as mine it’s a 6.6v pack.

Don’t overthink it like me. It’s a radio battery. If it discharges really fast while Using, that’s an issue.
Ackchyually likes this.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:26 PM
Tech Rookie

You may need to tell the Futaba that you are using a LiFePo battery, I did in the Sanwa. When I received my battery it was at 3.2V and it only took a few minutes to get up to 3.6V per cell, using the standard LiFePo settings
Ackchyually likes this.
Old 10-10-2021, 12:38 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Ackchyually
You have the same battery as me, so I think my question is relevant to this thread, and of course the battery..

Are you experiencing any weird behavior with the Protek LiFe 2100mAh battery? For instance, I have charged mine using the LiFe mode on my charger, and the end voltage is 7.4V, all cells balanced. However, after about 5-10 minutes, the total voltage is back down to 6.6V. Furthermore, after discharging the battery down to 5.6V cutoff voltage, the resting voltage of the battery does back up to 6.3V after about 15 minutes, again, all cells balanced.

What the hell is going on here?!?
I have experienced the same behaviour with all of my LiFePo batteries (I use them in some of my cars as traction batteries)
They settle down quickly to nominal voltage after charging, but also remain constant under load for quite a long time.

​​​
Ackchyually likes this.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:58 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the replies and information {tpc}, Lawzy, and JJ100179.

Yes, I have a tendency to overthink stuff! There is a reviewer on AMain describing this very behavior with his Protek LiFe battery, and apparently he asked tech support about it, who then confirmed it was normal behavior. We'll just chalk it up to odd and weird, LiFe stuff...charge up to 7.2V, but expect it to settle to 6.6V as written on the label. You get what you get, and you don't get upset!

My battery holds a charge well and lasts for a long time in my 4PV radio, and because of that, I love it! Now, as far as telling my radio that I have a LiFe battery instead of dry cells? I don't! Why? One of the bugs, IMO, in the 4PV system software, is to omit the nice battery icon if you select anything other than dry cells. So because I like the battery icon surrounding my TX voltage, I leave it on dry-cell mode. Sure, the low-voltage alarm threshold is incorrect, but who cares.

BONUS SIDE-RANT: While we're on the topic of bugs in Futaba firmware, another one is that there is no TIMER STOP/RESET function in the 4PV, but it does exist in the 4PM. If you hold down the button that is assigned to the lap timer, then the timer stops as one would expect. Not the case on the 4PV.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:00 AM
Tech Regular

Glad you got it worked out!
Old 10-12-2021, 07:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Since it's a LiFe battery thread, what is storage voltage for them? Do they have to be put into storage when not used for some time?
Old 10-14-2021, 07:03 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bratan
Since it's a LiFe battery thread, what is storage voltage for them? Do they have to be put into storage when not used for some time?
I don't think they need to be put in a storage condition. The storage voltage = the end charge voltage after a few minutes = the nameplate voltage of the pack, i.e., 6.6V = 6.6V = 6.6V.

FWIW, the storage mode on my charger, for LiFe batteries, is...wait...for it...6.6V!

bratan likes this.
Old 10-15-2021, 01:57 AM
Tech Adept

I always store-charge my LiFePo batteries, but not being a battery chemistry expert I' m not sure if it is really mandatory?
​​​​​
Old 10-15-2021, 09:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

On my charger there is storage option for life battery but that process usually lasts very short time, like a minute. Sometimes it stops at 60% sometimes at 80%. Perhaps they are always at safe state off charge 🤔?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.