Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Charging the Battery and putting it in storage mode? >

Charging the Battery and putting it in storage mode?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charging the Battery and putting it in storage mode?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 01:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Charging the Battery and putting it in storage mode?

Hello!

Today I have recieved the URUAV 2700mAh, 40C, 2s Li-Po battery and I was a bit sceptical about charging it since I'm a newbie. I also have the iMax B6 Balance Charger to charge batteries.
Anyway, I'm wondering at what AMPS should I Balance charge my battery (As said above - 2700mAh, 40C, 2S). And also what amps should I use to storage charge the battery to be safe.

Thanks in advance for your reply
Best regards, Ninja.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Tech Addict

1C charging would be 2.7 amps.

I would just crank it all the way up your charger only does 6 amps maximum.
Make sure to plug in the little white plug and that your charger is in lipo mode.
Also, when driving, don't run the car until your battery is dead and the car won't move. Stop and recharge if the car starts to slow down.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by rcbuggy88
1C charging would be 2.7 amps.

I would just crank it all the way up your charger only does 6 amps maximum.
Make sure to plug in the little white plug and that your charger is in lipo mode.
Also, when driving, don't run the car until your battery is dead and the car won't move. Stop and recharge if the car starts to slow down.
Thanks!
What do you mean by 1C would be 2.7A. It's 40C 😅 sorry if I don't understand what that means but I'm a newbie.
​​​Thank you rcbuggy88. Oh and also how to storage charge it?
Old 02-17-2021, 07:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ninja.
Thanks!
What do you mean by 1C would be 2.7A. It's 40C 😅 sorry if I don't understand what that means but I'm a newbie.
​​​Thank you rcbuggy88. Oh and also how to storage charge it?
1C means the rate of current required to go from empty to full (or vice versa) in an hour. For a 2.7Ah battery, that's 2.7A.

40C is 40 times that amount.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:08 PM
Tech Regular

Yes, I’ve posted this before. Thank you for your patience

INTC24102

If you don’t have a volt checker, get one of these (put that above into Amainhobbies search bar) or a pack of 6 off Amazon, but they can be annoying with chimes and such off amazon

From SMC battery:

A few common mistakes are discharging the cells down to low under load due to an improper voltage cut off setting. Ideally you don’t want the cells to be under 3.6V right after the cutoff has kicked in and having the cells in the high 3.6 to low 3.7 is ideal. You must not leave the packs stored fully charged or with too much charge. You should store them around 3.8 to 3.85V per cell.

In my opinion 3.8 to 3.85v per cell is a good storage voltage. Most chargers have a storage mode and end up in that range.

I wouldn't store a pack fully charged for more than a day as this really makes the materials more active and can lead to cell issues and will shorten cycle life.

me:

I don’t fully charge them. For my 2S (2 cell batteries) I stop at around 8.34 or 4.17 per cell. Maybe 8.41 if racing. I never let my batteries drop below 7.5

I also “storage” my batteries every day after coming home from the track. Every single one. Will not bother doing so if I’m going back in 2 days. But will not store a FULLY charged battery, will storage that one. Generally if under 8.0 I’ll leave it alone if going to drive in 2 days, otherwise if over 8.0 or more than 2 days I’ll storage my batts.

I always use a lipo bag AND I have a portable flame detector (it does smoke too) that sits on my RC table when my batteries are charging or discharging/storaging. So I don’t risk my house burning down. I recommend this to all my friends.

I only charge at 2C or 1C if not in a rush. 1C is the mah of your battery from MILLI-amps to AMPS

so 5000mah is 5 AMPS if charging at 1C

10 amps is 2C for a 5000mah battery

EDIT: I run 2 cell, multiply 3.6V by the number of cells in your battery
Old 02-17-2021, 08:13 PM
Tech Regular

5.4 amps is 2C charging (my rec)

6.0 isn’t that far off as people regularly charge at 40amps

and consider getting larger mah batteries in the future, maybe around 5000 to allow for longer runs, less stress on the battery

keep the voltage above 7.4V at all times

use the volt checker to see how many volts you use in 5 minutes and extrapolate from there to get a rough estimate of how long you can run your car for

i try to pull off at 7.6 (just under 1/2) because a great run will burn through more battery than normal

Old 02-18-2021, 12:02 AM
Tech Initiate

40C is the max discharge = 40 * 2.7 = 108A, which means that your ESC shouldn't be larger than that. Also the C ratings on the batteriers are often pretty optimistic. So to be on the safe side you shouldn't use your battery to the limit.

Some battery has label telling the max charge rate. For newer LiPO that is usually 5-10C, higher for racing batteries.

So with a 6A charger I see no problems in charging all it can, but if you are not in a hurry why not charge with maybe 3A? I always charge with around 1C if I am not in a hurry - hoping the batteries will last longer