Recommended 17.5 motor

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rcbuggy88

Recommended 17.5 motor

Old 02-17-2021, 06:27 PM
Tech Regular

Default Recommended 17.5 motor

run what ya brung, doesn't have to be ROAR approved, no timing limitations

For a 17.5 racing motor... suggestions? Just has to be 17.5, that's it. Low to medium grip carpet, small track, small jumps, ~17sec/lap

Trinity X-factor?
Reedy S+?
Fantom ICON?
Maclan V3?

love to get your thoughts? experiences?

each motor is slightly different in characteristics and I'd love to learn about them

(Surpass Racing won't reply to emails for help/warranty, so I won't be buying another)
Old 02-17-2021, 06:50 PM
Tech Addict

There are 17.5T outlaw motors which will likely be faster than a roar approved.

On your list, The ICON V2 and X-factor are the better of the two, S+ being third and Maclan being last (their motors are a little lacking at the moment).
The thing I don't like about Fantom and Trinity is they bin their motors, so all the better ones are more expensive and not really worth it.

The ICON V2 is new so untested

The X-factor is good, but in hard hits, people say the can bends due to the cutouts in the front.

Although I haven't gotten a chance to try it, I just bought a new Actinium V4 17.5 motor after it basically won every single class at the last club race I went to. Its got a giant cnc machined collector which is probably the most obvious difference but taking it apart, there so much attention to detail. The screws are already aluminum so no need to upgrade. The insulation plates are made of a black plastic instead of the white paper on most motors. And there's even insulation for the sensor board which I've never seen a motor have. I put my motor on one of those skyrc motor testers, and the sensor was 30-30-31 which is darn near perfect. Midse from this forum posted a picture where he got like under 0.5 error for his motor so really incredible (R1 in their hand-aligned boards only guarantees a 2 degree difference which Team Powers already beats with their non-upgraded motors). Oh and there's only one version, so you don't have to worry that someone has a better motor because they paid more.

The Team Powers customer service is also very good, they've always been able to answer all my questions.
dawgmeat likes this.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:16 PM
Tech Regular

What happens when the can bends?
Old 02-17-2021, 07:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Team Powers are great

Originally Posted by rcbuggy88 View Post

On your list, The ICON V2 and X-factor are the better of the two, S+ being third and Maclan being last (their motors are a little lacking at the moment).
The thing I don't like about Fantom and Trinity is they bin their motors, so all the better ones are more expensive and not really worth it.

The X-factor is good, but in hard hits, people say the can bends due to the cutouts in the front.

Although I haven't gotten a chance to try it, I just bought a new Actinium V4 17.5 motor after it basically won every single class at the last club race I went to. Its got a giant cnc machined collector which is probably the most obvious difference but taking it apart, there so much attention to detail. The screws are already aluminum so no need to upgrade. The insulation plates are made of a black plastic instead of the white paper on most motors. And there's even insulation for the sensor board which I've never seen a motor have. I put my motor on one of those skyrc motor testers, and the sensor was 30-30-31 which is darn near perfect. Midse from this forum posted a picture where he got like under 0.5 error for his motor so really incredible (R1 in their hand-aligned boards only guarantees a 2 degree difference which Team Powers already beats with their non-upgraded motors). Oh and there's only one version, so you don't have to worry that someone has a better motor because they paid more.

The Team Powers customer service is also very good, they've always been able to answer all my questions.
I have some Team Powers V3ís and a Trinity X Factor. The Team Powers stuff comes with a lot of good stuff already. I cannot tell the difference in performance with my Certified Trinity. I love the quality of the Team Powers motors....

Unbiased opinion based on facts.... FYI. I choose not to get sponsored aka a discounted retail customer. I like to run what I choose and can switch at any time....
Old 02-17-2021, 08:24 PM
Tech Addict

SouthFloridaApp, if you race onroad, then you really gotta try the new SUV2 tires. I tried the 32SUV2 last race and they were much better than the SU series. Definitely won't last as long, but are much grippier.

As for can bending on the X-factor, It's never happened to me but I've heard that if you crash really hard, because there isn't very much material in the front area around the collector, due to impact, the thin aluminum parts bend. I'm assuming its probably more of an issue with mod cars but it's worth noting. If it bends, then the motor won't be straight and you'll have to buy a new motor.

I get why they did it though, a more open can design will have better cooling especially if you have a fan blowing in the holes.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

If it doesn’t have to be roar approved I would go with the trinity punisher 17.5 and gear is super super aggressive. This motor is fast and can be geared super aggressive with out over heating. Plus the motor is only like $60 new
Old 02-17-2021, 11:49 PM
Tech Initiate

The Hobbywing XeRun Justock 3650 is a really great motor for a 1:10 Onroad car. It also comes as a relatively cheap combo with a Xerun XR10 ESC. It is fast, reliable and many options. They also have more advanced ESC with lots of settings to play around with
Old 02-18-2021, 01:00 AM
Tech Addict

He's looking for a more expensive motor. The 3650 doesn't have timing adjustments and I'm assuming he already has an esc. An outlaw motor might be faster but if I recall the punisher is getting old so it might not be as fast as some of the newer even roar-approved motors although I am only guessing.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:50 AM
Tech Regular

SouthFloridaApp, if you race onroad, then you really gotta try the new SUV2 tires. I tried the 32SUV2 last race and they were much better than the SU series. Definitely won't last as long, but are much grippier.

As for can bending on the X-factor, It's never happened to me but I've heard that if you crash really hard, because there isn't very much material in the front area around the collector, due to impact, the thin aluminum parts bend. I'm assuming its probably more of an issue with mod cars but it's worth noting. If it bends, then the motor won't be straight and you'll have to buy a new motor.

I get why they did it though, a more open can design will have better cooling especially if you have a fan blowing in the holes.
what will it feel like if the motor isnít straight? How will you know?

instead of smooth arm rotation will it be harder to turn?
Old 02-18-2021, 05:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SouthFloridaApp View Post
I have some Team Powers V3ís and a Trinity X Factor. The Team Powers stuff comes with a lot of good stuff already. I cannot tell the difference in performance with my Certified Trinity. I love the quality of the Team Powers motors....

Unbiased opinion based on facts.... FYI. I choose not to get sponsored aka a discounted retail customer. I like to run what I choose and can switch at any time....
The new V4 Actinium Roar has been released, it is quite trick and . For Outlaw - I believe there are Asian Spec. Plutonium V3 and Actinium KV rated non roar JMRCA etc. . Some of those have thicker wiring and mod rotors of course. TP USA may be able to special order one for you or try rcmart.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Actinoum V4

Good to hear an "unbiased" and concise review. I don't like those skyrc checkers as had a few bad experiences woth them sending poor signal and damaging boards. I don't get too concerned with super accurate numbers on a simulator as they vary through the rev/load range/bumps/heat etc. Always best to track test - but good to see some data on a new version and baseline points. As long as a motor sounds smooth it is good to go. Having said all that, the V4 has been the most consistently accurate I've ever seen- (Timing, rotor, phase current)