Whatís a Ground Loop and is it bad? >

Whatís a Ground Loop and is it bad?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Roelof
  • 1 Post By Dave H

Whatís a Ground Loop and is it bad?

Old 10-16-2020, 08:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Whatís a Ground Loop and is it bad?

Just curious guys.. Iím in the process of getting parts for a 5t 12s brushless conversion.. The ESC Flier 400a has no BEC.. so my plan was to wire the BEC along with a Cap pack into the Second set of input wires on the ESC (the ESC has two separate 8wg input sets).. Iíve seen it done this way successfully.. but i was told that this will cause a Ďground loopí and i should use a separate battery to power the servers receiver ETC.. any info?? Thanks in advance
Old 10-17-2020, 12:12 AM
Tech Champion

The naming says it all, a loop in the ground wire. It happens when a direct wire makes a ground connection but also another wire makes a ground connection. Then you will create a so called closed loop which can build up a resonance frequency that can disturb the working of the electronics.

It hapens more over longer wires like in car audio where power cables and signal cables to the amplifier in the rear will end up in creating a ground loop and create a whining noise over the sound.

I do not think you have to worry about that with such short wires.
hookedup likes this.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
The naming says it all, a loop in the ground wire. It happens when a direct wire makes a ground connection but also another wire makes a ground connection. Then you will create a so called closed loop which can build up a resonance frequency that can disturb the working of the electronics.

It hapens more over longer wires like in car audio where power cables and signal cables to the amplifier in the rear will end up in creating a ground loop and create a whining noise over the sound.

I do not think you have to worry about that with such short wires.
thanks again!! I figured it was a hum of sorts just didnít know whether it would effect anything
Old 10-17-2020, 09:50 AM
Tech Champion

If you do experience issues try removing the ground wire from BEC to receiver.
hookedup likes this.