Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Roelof

Noticeable lag in radio rasponse

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 01:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Noticeable lag in radio rasponse

Hello, I have a newly built buggy with a hobbywing motor / ESC + Spektrum STX3 radio. There's a noticeable lag in throttle and steering response.
I noticed it is interfering when another radio that I have is turned on. Should I re-bind the other radio or the Spektrum?
Old 07-12-2020, 02:24 PM
Tech Lord

To my knowledge the STX3 uses a different protocol than used on all other Spektrum models, It is also the most cheapest radio set.

I would sugest to look for someting different like a budget model from Futaba or Sanwa
Cain, Andy Koback and billdelong like this.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Spektrum is notorious for glitching because they use direct sequencing, more info here:
Old 07-15-2020, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

Yeah, but in that same article, the STX3 is noted as using FHSS, so direct sequencing would not be related to the issue in this instance, If that’s accurate.

I don’t know what options are available when binding with the STX3, but for the latest DSMR radios, you have the option of 22ms, 11ms, or 5.5ms - the former two are used when Telemetry is on. I’ve seen YouTube videos where Telemetry is on with Spektrum radios, and yeah - I definitely wouldn’t want to race (or even drive) at that response rate... so I guess in a non-Racing scenario, it depends on how badly you’d want Telemetry. For crawling it’s probably OK, but I wouldn’t want to run a car at high speeds based on what I’ve seen.

That being said, I’m using a Spektrum DSMR radio bound at 5.5ms, and I haven’t noticed any issues personally - but again, the article is quick to point out that environmental factors can play a part on whether you have that kind of interference or not. Having said that, I’m not leaning one way or the other - this is definitely one of those YMMV scenarios.