Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
ESC Problem...Never seen this! >

ESC Problem...Never seen this!

Like Tree3Likes

ESC Problem...Never seen this!

Old 04-14-2020, 08:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Default ESC Problem...Never seen this!

I bought a used Castle Mamba Monster X Esc. When I plug it in all I get is two short beeps and one long beep. I see this is an RX/TX issue.

So I tried swapping in a different RX....same deal.

I then tried another RX, one that is currently mounted in my savage truck. Same deal. Now the RX in the savage (that I was using to test) doesn't work with the motor/TX that I was using before testing.

Any ideas what is going on here? Is this ESC just frying all my RXs?!

The wires from ESC --> RX were hot to the touch.

Thank you!
Old 04-14-2020, 08:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Weeznur32 View Post
Any ideas what is going on here? Is this ESC just frying all my RXs?!

The wires from ESC --> RX were hot to the touch.
Unfortunately that is what it sounds like... might be time for a word with the seller?

Definitely donít plug this in to any more receivers.

Double check there are no wires or strands of wires bridging across any of the terminals at the esc or motor. Extra check that the polarity of the wires matches the polarity of your battery (especially if there is a connector on there!). Maybe if you find something obviously wrong and fix it then you could try a working receiver, but i would suggest moving on to a new (unused) esc and receivers.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:54 PM
Tech Master

When changing ESC always check binding of TX & RX. Then do the installation of configure of ESC, ESC manual setting the neutral, full throttle and Braking position You do that the RX & ESC will read each other.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for posting. The issue I am having: the ESC does not power the RX. So I cannot confirm it is binded. However, I have tried multiple Tx/Rx combos, that were working perfectly prior to testing on new ESC/Motor. Any ideas?
Old 04-14-2020, 09:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Thank you for your reply. I am going to start from the beginning again. I was just shocked that the wires to the Rx were getting warm... alarming to say the least.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I once had a brand new ESC (generic brand) that killed both my servo and my Rx, both devices each had a puff of smoke the instant I flipped the switch... turns out the BEC was faulty, it was sending the full 4S right into the Rx!

I bought the ESC through HobbyKing and they warranted the ESC and Rx but did not cover the expense for the servo which I bought from Savox... which created a whole other debacle to where I have stopped buying electronics from HobbyKing and never bought another Savox product since
Old 04-15-2020, 01:40 PM
Tech Master

Are you using HPI TX &RX? Or a different manufacture. If upgrade TX&RX I need to know. Does your steering initialize when you turn on ESC? If not, TX & RX is not bonded together.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Have you tried reversing the throttle in the transmitter? I am not familiar with this esc, but with their old mmp & a futaba trans. you have to reverse the throttle throw or it will not arm.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Unplug esc and get a voltmeter and see if esc is putting out a bec voltage...
Old 04-16-2020, 12:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by the rc guy View Post
Unplug esc and get a voltmeter and see if esc is putting out a bec voltage...
so literally just hook up the multimeter to the unplugged + and - ESC leads? Thanks!
Old 04-16-2020, 12:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Geezatec View Post
Are you using HPI TX &RX? Or a different manufacture. If upgrade TX&RX I need to know. Does your steering initialize when you turn on ESC? If not, TX & RX is not bonded together.
I have tried 3 different rx/tx combos (1 HPI and 2 Traxxas) The HPI was what I used to start, but it now no longer works. All were bonded prior to swapping in. The receivers wonít even power up.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
I once had a brand new ESC (generic brand) that killed both my servo and my Rx, both devices each had a puff of smoke the instant I flipped the switch... turns out the BEC was faulty, it was sending the full 4S right into the Rx!

I bought the ESC through HobbyKing and they warranted the ESC and Rx but did not cover the expense for the servo which I bought from Savox... which created a whole other debacle to where I have stopped buying electronics from HobbyKing and never bought another Savox product since
ouch! Iím really hoping thatís not whatís happening here. Of course I bought on EBay (lesson learned) so I donít have much of a chance.

in the pic are testing the ESC with the digital multi meter? Are there ways I can do that to decipher what exactly is the issue?

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2020, 10:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Billdelong's picture would confirm a situation like what you first thought, the ESC is frying receivers by delivering an unrestricted 16.56V from the battery, instead of reducing it to 6V-8.4V as it would if operating normally. This function is known as a 'battery eliminator circuit' because it allows the steering servo and electronics to function from the main battery power, rather from an addition 'receiver pack' battery.

So options could include buying and adding in an external BEC to regulate the voltage. You would need to remove the one of the power connections from the plug coming out of the ESC for this to work. You could do a similar thing by removing a power connection from the ESC plug and adding in a receiver pack to power the receiver and servo that way.

If the ESC came with any kind of program card or options to program using the esc buttons, you could look for a setting to adjust the BEC voltage... but it would be unusual for a functioning car ESC to put out such a high voltage to the receiver no matter the setting. You could still try messaging the seller about the problem, and even ebay/paypal dispute resolution if the item was not described as faulty in the ad. Given the problems you have already had, buy another ESC and check the output with a multimeter first!
Old 04-16-2020, 10:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Weeznur32 View Post
in the pic are testing the ESC with the digital multi meter? Are there ways I can do that to decipher what exactly is the issue?

Thanks!
Notice the servo wire in my left hand on the pic, I am pressing the leads from the voltmeter onto the servo connector that feeds voltage from the BEC which should be around 6.0V for most BEC's on the market.

Mushroomed gave some good suggestions to bypass the BEC, another option is to draw power from the #2 cell on your balance port to get unfiltered 8.4V with a fresh charge:
How to wire HV Servo from 2S LiPo

You can use this bypass to the Ch2 port on the Rx, I am showing a 2S-JST plug in the pic, but the same can be done with a 4S-JST, use a voltmeter to double check the voltage is 8.4V beforehand, assuming your Rx is rated for HV @ 8.4V:

If your Rx can only handle 6V, then I would get a UBEC like this instead:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-UBEC-5V-...sAAOSwG8tcjzni
Old 04-17-2020, 12:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
Notice the servo wire in my left hand on the pic, I am pressing the leads from the voltmeter onto the servo connector that feeds voltage from the BEC which should be around 6.0V for most BEC's on the market.

Mushroomed gave some good suggestions to bypass the BEC, another option is to draw power from the #2 cell on your balance port to get unfiltered 8.4V with a fresh charge:
How to wire HV Servo from 2S LiPo

You can use this bypass to the Ch2 port on the Rx, I am showing a 2S-JST plug in the pic, but the same can be done with a 4S-JST, use a voltmeter to double check the voltage is 8.4V beforehand, assuming your Rx is rated for HV @ 8.4V:

If your Rx can only handle 6V, then I would get a UBEC like this instead:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-UBEC-5V-...sAAOSwG8tcjzni
I think this is the route that I need to go, but you are speaking so far above my head that I can't keep up.

I spoke with Castle Creations and they suggested doing exactly what you said (testing brown (-) and red (+) Rx lead wires). Interestingly, I didn't pick up any voltage. Probably why ESC isn't powering my RX.

So, I think we can safely assume that the BEC is fried. Can you please help me understand how to bypass the BEC/add external BEC in layman's terms?

Would be awesome if I can send vids of what exactly is happening? Much appreciated!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.