Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
ESC Problem...Never seen this! >

ESC Problem...Never seen this!

Like Tree3Likes

ESC Problem...Never seen this!

Old 04-17-2020, 11:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

If you look at my picture, notice that the red wire was removed from the servo connector, this is how you remove the wire:

Then simply use a pin and insert it into the exposed female red wire you just removed, and plug that wire into the #2 cell of your balance port on the 4S battery... use your voltmeter to check that the #2 cell reads 8.4V, that is the hole you want to plug the red wire into, this will bypass the BEC.

Only do this if your Rx is rated to handle 8.4V otherwise you'll need to get a UBEC that I linked above.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:06 PM
Tech Master

What manufacture of radio system are you using?
Old 04-17-2020, 09:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
If you look at my picture, notice that the red wire was removed from the servo connector, this is how you remove the wire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ri8i5ITI8o

Then simply use a pin and insert it into the exposed female red wire you just removed, and plug that wire into the #2 cell of your balance port on the 4S battery... use your voltmeter to check that the #2 cell reads 8.4V, that is the hole you want to plug the red wire into, this will bypass the BEC.

Only do this if your Rx is rated to handle 8.4V otherwise you'll need to get a UBEC that I linked above.
This makes sense. Does it matter if it is a 6s battery? Still port two of the balance plug? Thanks!
Old 04-17-2020, 09:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Geezatec View Post
What manufacture of radio system are you using?
Traxxas and HPI. Will be trying a Spektrum Tx/Rx soon, just to make 100% sure it's not the radio system. Spektrum Rx does look to have a port for an external battery, maybe I just go that route?
Old 04-21-2020, 09:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Solved. Thank you all for your input. I learned a lot through this process (now running external BECs on most of my cars). I'm embarrassed to say that the receiver harness on the ESC was transposed....the whole time. So basically I was frying Rxs because the idiot that sold me the ESC had the harness plugged in backward the whole time.

HUGE props to Castle for helping me figure this issue out...even when I bought it used. That's customer service!
mushroomed likes this.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Weeznur32 View Post
... the idiot that sold me the ESC had the harness plugged in backward the whole time....
Facepalm!

Next time, post a pic of your wiring to help others get more clues in helping solve the problem... never did get an answer from you on the voltage coming from your BEC, that would've shown the polarity was reversed at that point as well
Old 04-23-2020, 05:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Weeznur32 View Post
Solved. Thank you all for your input. I learned a lot through this process (now running external BECs on most of my cars). I'm embarrassed to say that the receiver harness on the ESC was transposed....the whole time. So basically I was frying Rxs because the idiot that sold me the ESC had the harness plugged in backward the whole time.

HUGE props to Castle for helping me figure this issue out...even when I bought it used. That's customer service!
Excellent news. Glad they were able to help you out. They are able support everything we've ever made. Even products we haven't sold for 10+ years, they are able to do diagnostics over the phone.

In engineering, we spent a while looking at that wire harness trying to make it as safe as possible just in case it was plugged in backwards. That's why some of the wires cross each other before going into the plug.
mushroomed likes this.