Wiki Posts
Search

4x4 RC lawnmover - please help for components

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 07:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Default 4x4 RC lawnmover - please help for components

Hello

I'm advertising from Slovenia. Yes, we also have COVID-19, so we're all in the same boat

Well, at the beginning, I'm not fluent in English either, so I'm using Google

I don't understand anything about RC either, so I also write and ask for some help.

I would like to make a remote controlled lawnmower - RC

To begin with, what I already have:

Gasoline garden lawn mower
Battery power
4 brushless motors / wheels from hoverboards
Remote Control - Turnigy TGY-i6 Mode 2 AFHDS Transmitter and 6CH Receiver

What I don't have:

I need my electronics, speed controller, ESC or whatever it is called. In short - the controller

And here is the first question and I ask for help which controller to buy. Probably more of them.

The motors are 350W - 36V

The controller must have a hall sensor input

According to your expertise, which one do you advise?

However, I would like to avoid the motherboard of the hoverboard itself, because of the flash of the firmware and all that it pulls along, so I'd rather go for what seems simpler to the individual controllers.

Once I have that, I'll still ask you for help with the whole connection and setting up the remote control. The remote control has a v-tail function which I think I will use with the project.

That will be a start, when we reconcile and procure it, we will move on

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Your not gonna find a controller (esc) to run 4 brushless motors..your going to have to improve your rc skills this will require mixing in order to get mower to turn you will also need a way to getup a anti runaway system and off or stop mower asap.. more than likely you will want to buy a actual robot mower that is 100% electric..not to kill your dream just being honest with you...
Old 03-21-2020, 07:49 AM
Tech Adept

Probably be better off with some rc motors and a dual esc setup, and have it setup like tank controls.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by the rc guy
Your not gonna find a controller (esc) to run 4 brushless motors..your going to have to improve your rc skills this will require mixing in order to get mower to turn you will also need a way to getup a anti runaway system and off or stop mower asap.. more than likely you will want to buy a actual robot mower that is 100% electric..not to kill your dream just being honest with you...
There can be 4 ESCs?
Old 03-21-2020, 09:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by BlairW
Probably be better off with some rc motors and a dual esc setup, and have it setup like tank controls.
It was meant to maneuver as a tank. Left side forward, right back and going into rotation. Or vice versa...
Old 03-21-2020, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

I said 4.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:12 PM
Tech Rookie

For an easier idea of what I want ...
yt = S-g6vt2sqZU
Old 03-23-2020, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

I would think a good starting place would be to use a cheap quad copter. You wont get the power output you need but a robotic esc that can take analog or pwm could be modified to take the power that would ordinarily go to small brushed motors and step it up.

if you find an analog esc you could potentially get away with this very cheap and easy. By the way that video you referenced is insane. Way too fast. Independent control of each wheel seems simple enough. Even just two driven when and casters that rotate freely shouldnt be too bad.

there are analog brushless motors controllers or drives on ebay pretty cheap. Think wheel chairs or scooters.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:09 AM
Tech Rookie

I also have wheelchair engines. But in hardware this is very simple and the other is software and control. Although, I think I'll have to stay on the 4x BLDC engine from the hoverboard along with the motherboard to connect them via an arduino nano signal. Obviously I'll have to do it all by myself, I can't find a man who has already done this to literally draw me how something is done. I'll just do the electronics doctrine by the way

And yes, of course the project is crazy. The mower, I need it, because of the 4x4 terrain. The video shows a little more relaxed, more presentation than purpose. Of course, the mower can also serve mowing and slower maneuvers. Otherwise, I would use a wheelchair engine, but one of me can do transmissions, 4x4 sprockets, otherwise the principle is the same, except that the wheelchair engine is easier to wire and control. But yeah, I will. Otherwise, I still have a wheelchair left.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Im not sure you caught the beauty of the quad copter. It varies the output for 4 very small motors to sweep left or right move forward or reverse. The mechanical system it controls is very similar to 4 independent motors with 1 exception. It will not reverse.

the other difference is that each channel on the receiver in the quad copter outputs PWM. This is the signal an analog esc could take with little to no work.

quads are cheap. Analog motor drives are pretty cheap and they will take the PWM or a slightly modified PWM. Joysticks typically run them sooo.

Quads are cheap. Im not sure reverse is necessary. The quad has the transmitter and reciever. Ive got nothing against custom coding an arduino but you might be able to avoid allot of code with a quad. Either way good luck.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:10 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm still deciding and looking for a solution.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:26 PM
Tech Adept

Old 03-28-2020, 11:50 PM
Tech Rookie

A completely different concept... And I don't want a caterpillar