Search
Like Tree47Likes

LiPo Charging/Discharging/Cycling for Stock Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sabin
If you're two tenths, it might be you've refined your racing line a bit. I know if I tighten up my line, or choose earlier acceleration points, or get better momentum through the corners, I can knock off two to three tenths.

Yikes. Those batteries need to be replaced yesterday. That IR should be in the ones or twos off a fresh cool pack.

Most devices out there that measure IR give unrealistic readings. This is a measurement done by DC load. I have a youtube video showing the measurement compared to HP 5.5 digit meter. Uses a 4 wire measuring method as well so the voltage sense leads are not affected by the current carrying leads.
Old 02-05-2024, 10:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trilerian
Most devices out there that measure IR give unrealistic readings. This is a measurement done by DC load. I have a youtube video showing the measurement compared to HP 5.5 digit meter. Uses a 4 wire measuring method as well so the voltage sense leads are not affected by the current carrying leads.
Ichargers use the balance leads for the voltage measurement so they're 4+ wires (depending on cell count).
Old 02-06-2024, 07:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trilerian
Unrealistically high or unrealistically low? And by how much?
Old 02-06-2024, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Unrealistically high or unrealistically low? And by how much?
"Unrealistically" is kind of an embellishment. But the iCharger reads about half the IR that I am seeing when testing. But ultimately it is all down to equipment used to verify the testing and the code used. I can make the IR read whatever I want, but I try to verify that with other testing equipment.

And, if I am not mistaken, users of the GFX devices also say the iChargers read too low. But really, in the end it is all about whether or not the device you are using measures consistently for your batteries. If it reads consistently, then it doesn't matter if it is high or low. Unless you are comparing to someone else, but then that is where industry standards should come in. An industry standard in this case would be something like, measure the voltage at rest, put a known load on the battery, wait X amount of time, then read the voltage under load. I have found that a 200-250 millisecond delay is adequate. Less than 200ms and you can get really low readings. But this will depend also on the equipment being used to test.
Old 02-07-2024, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

See, that's a bit of a problem. It's about more than just consistently, it's about accuracy aswell. If your charger is showing a significant difference than calibrated test equipment, that's a good sign the charger has not been calibrated correctly, the firmware needs an update or, worst case scenario - the charger is faulty. Whatever the case may be, it shows the IR measurement readings cannot be trusted.
Old 02-07-2024, 02:55 PM
Tech Lord

Readings can never be trusted as long you are using connectors. Bad connectors and/or power leads can cause wrong measurements as well.
Old 02-08-2024, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

Another reason to use good quality connectors and have good solder joints.
Old 02-08-2024, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I’ve had the 4010duo, 406duo and the dx8 ichargers. Also have had powerlabs chargers. My connectors are the tq wire strain relief plugs. i have yet to see a charger match the multi meter readings. In almost all cases it’s slightly below the multi meter reading.
Old 02-09-2024, 02:55 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

The data simply doesn't suggest that. I'm sure you think it works, but until the findings align with your statement, I'd have to disagree.

https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...%20Ranking.Jpg

Heat kills lipos. The chemistry is simply intolerant of high temperature (140+f) as shown in the graph. I discovered that myself when I was using the earlier versions of high voltage lipos that were badly misrepresented. Thirty cycles and they were expired.
You are spot on sir!!!

I have been saying this for years! Anything over 125f on the case (putting cells internally at 140+) kills the cells, causes them to break down and IR actually increases. I have completely gone away from discharging and charging cells anymore.

I have custom computer controlled equipment at home that can discharge up to 800amps mainly for testing drag batteries. It plots a live IR curve as the pack is discharging and IR decreases until a certain temp and then it begins to rise as the cells become too hot.

EA
gigaplex likes this.