Like Tree3Likes

Fan or no

Old 03-15-2019, 05:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LzREngineering View Post
Always run a fan, the magnetic strength of a neodymium magnet decreases with temperature and can be permanently lost if the temperature is too high. Also the resistance of the windings will increase slightly when they are hot. Cold motors always perform better and last longer.
This.

If you don't have a fan right away, your probably not going to kill it, unless your gearing is way off. But I would get one. In my case I had to find a spot to make it fit the way I wanted on the chassis, which meant cutting a bit of the end of a side brace off, and then I had to modify the body somewhat. I got away with leaving the body alone for awhile, but it seemed to get more cumbersome to have to place the body perfectly so it wouldn't rub, so I ended up just trimming a spot away.

Look at the guys that win week in, week out. See what they are doing, how they are mounting and use it as a guide. Its not always about being able to "gear up" or charge batteries for max performance. Most of the times those guys will be good regardless of the car. They may just want to save the equipment.
Old Today, 05:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Fan. The cooler the electronics the better. 120 is better than 160 (even though 160 will not burn the motor).