Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
brushless confusion????? >

brushless confusion?????

Like Tree6Likes

brushless confusion?????

Old 02-02-2019, 10:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Default brushless confusion?????

Ok I'm don't know where to start..... I'm looking for a ESC and motor for a associated B4.1 - and I'm on a tight budget!

Not sure what I'm looking at.... 3000kv? 4350kv? 5200kv??? 60amp?? 45amp?? 120amp?? sensored? sensorless??
9T - 25T ---- I think its the turns of wire in the motor, the more turns = higher torque? .... right??

this is all foreign language to me....
from what I've been reading I'm thinking I want a 17.5T motor - not sure about ESC but would like a matched set...

help please - nearest hobby store is 50+ miles away
Old 02-02-2019, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sharky8js View Post
Ok I'm don't know where to start..... I'm looking for a ESC and motor for a associated B4.1 - and I'm on a tight budget!

Not sure what I'm looking at.... 3000kv? 4350kv? 5200kv??? 60amp?? 45amp?? 120amp?? sensored? sensorless??
9T - 25T ---- I think its the turns of wire in the motor, the more turns = higher torque? .... right??

this is all foreign language to me....
from what I've been reading I'm thinking I want a 17.5T motor - not sure about ESC but would like a matched set...

help please - nearest hobby store is 50+ miles away
Are you planning on racing or bashing? If racing, go to your local track and ask for recommendations. If bashing, you can't go wrong with Hobbywing as an affordable but decent option. The XR10 Justock ESC is a bargain.
Sharky8js likes this.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:08 PM
Tech Initiate

as I said above the closest hobby shop is 50+ miles away I work alot so cant really just go for a drive. (wife doesn't like me spending money , she doesn't even know I have the car). So I guess I'd be doing what you call bashing?
Old 02-03-2019, 01:11 AM
Tech Champion

Basically you can mount any kind of 540 size motor you want. If you want to go cheap, why not brushed?
Most important is the gearing, the faster the motor is, the higher the gearing has to be.
If you look arround on the web there are lists to find with the relation of turns, KV and gearing.

Sensored or sensorless can give a price difference. Sensored will give a smooth start and a smooth controll, sensorless can give some stotter when driving away and some sensorless controlers aren't that smooth but is used in many RTR cars.

Regarding the cheapest, you can find many combo sets on Aliexpress and Banggood. Arround 3000 to 3500kv is most used in many cars and can be very quick.
Sharky8js likes this.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Take a look at this link, this should explain some things for you.

https://www.rccaraction.com/motor-tu...plained-video/
Sharky8js likes this.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Phil250 View Post
Take a look at this link, this should explain some things for you.

https://www.rccaraction.com/motor-tu...plained-video/
That was a great explanation, thank you!
Old 02-03-2019, 12:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Basically you can mount any kind of 540 size motor you want. If you want to go cheap, why not brushed?
I have 2 brushed motors and esc's dont know if they work or know what wires go where, they are old, I may mess with them at some point, have to see if I can find info on them..
Old 02-03-2019, 09:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Red wire on the esc is positive + the black is negative -. Look for the markings on the motor that has a + and -.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:52 PM
Tech Initiate

well the motors i have are ;
trinity midnight - pretty sure it will work (ran wire from battery to it)
Reedy Mr Outlaw - couldn't get it to spin, figured out the brush spring that holds one of the brushes is missing - may or may not work?

the ESC's
Futuba mc 210cb - has all the wires
tekin pro fet TSC P-12 - couple wires missing

need to pick up a solder iron and solder and try
Old 02-03-2019, 10:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You can't use the motor without both brush springs. However a pair of springs shouldn't be to difficult to find online someplace since I've never seen manufacturers use different springs. You should be able to find the manuals for those escs someplace online.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Well I was screwing around tonight ,
cant get the Futaba MC 210CB esc to work at all
the Tekin TSC P-12 works but no reverse....... tried calibration and reading the info from Tekin ... I only see info on fwd and brake!
the Trinity midnight motor does work!
Old 02-05-2019, 07:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

This is a good combo for the price - https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywi...SABEgK12_D_BwE

Or, if you're wanting a cheaper combo - https://hobbyking.com/en_us/tracksta...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Sharky8js likes this.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:39 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Sharky8js View Post
Well I was screwing around tonight ,
cant get the Futaba MC 210CB esc to work at all
the Tekin TSC P-12 works but no reverse....... tried calibration and reading the info from Tekin ... I only see info on fwd and brake!
the Trinity midnight motor does work!
A lot of older brushed racing ESC's were forward only. From what I can see, that one appears to be like that. A forward only controller has 1/4th the MosFets and 1/2 the resistance, so it costs less, weighs less, and delivers more power(and wastes less from the lower capacity packs we used to use).
Old 02-05-2019, 11:08 AM
Tech Master

Hi.both escs you are asking about have a Blue motor wire for negative motor terminal and Red for +.. Not sure what radio you are trying to use with these. if I remember correct the mc 1 will not bind with the new 2.4 systems. and Not all brushes are the same.. they are color coded and also the brushes had different percentages of silver in them. best to clean commuter(com) and install 2 new brushes with springs.
Sharky8js likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service