Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I'm not sure which one burnt out

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 01:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? I'm not sure which one burnt out

I was driving my truck out in the snow. (I know I was taking a large risk so you don't have to yell at me haha)
All of the sudden my steering just stopped. So instantly I would default this to my steering servo, but the thing is that it is a Savox SW0231MG "waterproof servo" and there was like one drop of water on it. My ESC however works completely fine when I apply throttle/brake/reverse. Could my servo just have naturally burnt out? I haven't had it for that long but I don't believe it was water damage and I don't really have a way to test it out.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:23 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)
Arrow Check the wires first...

I'd check to make sure everything is plugged in first & do a test run. Something could have came loose while you were having fun.
If that didn't work out, then I'd open up the servo & spray with CRC electrical contact cleaner. You can get it just about anywhere (Wally-World or the auto parts store).

Also, I've had servos burn out before too. Maybe you had too much of a load on the servo & it just burnt out naturally as you said.....

Last edited by TeamSkunkwerks; 01-15-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by TeamSkunkwerks
I'd check to make sure everything is plugged in first & do a test run. Something could have came loose while you were having fun.
If that didn't work out, then I'd open up the servo & spray with CRC electrical contact cleaner. You can get it just about anywhere (Wally-World or the auto parts store).

Also, I've had servos burn out before too. Maybe you had too much of a load on the servo & it just burnt out naturally as you said.....
Sadly it appears as though it was my servo burning out. I found an old one that had stripped gears, but it worked well enough for me to check that it wasn't my other electronics. Guess I'll have to get a new one.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:03 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Depending on what kind of snow it was. While I’ve taken a long break from my off road vehicles. I ran in snow a lot for a good 5-6 years. Light, powdery snow is usually no problem. Now if the snow is good for snowballs,, then it could easy be to heavy and just caused it to fail.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

just because a item is listed as waterproof .dont make it 100% waterproof..if it was me id invest in a cheap servo tester.. to save time and effort on your part.some can be found for under 20$ usd
Old 01-16-2019, 06:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

try putting the ESC into Ch1 slot on the Rx see if steering can control the ESC? You may need to re-calibrate it on steering channel, if this doesn't work then you may have damaged the port on the Rx... another possibility is your BEC may have gone out... check the voltage on the red/black wires from the ESC to Rx, turned on and disconnected from Rx to get a voltage reading. If everything looks good with BEC and Ch1, then you may have a bad servo.