Like Tree7Likes

Best Battery

Old 01-29-2019, 08:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

I just bought some Team EAM batteries for my onroad and offroad cars. Buddy let me borrow a 8000mah for USGT class. Big difference from mu Protek and Gen Ace. Much more punch! Proteck had an IR of over 3m ohm same with the Gen ACE. Prices for the TEAM EAM are very good.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bassbuster View Post
I just bought some Team EAM batteries for my onroad and offroad cars. Buddy let me borrow a 8000mah for USGT class. Big difference from mu Protek and Gen Ace. Much more punch! Proteck had an IR of over 3m ohm same with the Gen ACE. Prices for the TEAM EAM are very good.
what's it do you get with the EAM's?
Old 01-29-2019, 10:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Dont understand your question.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hopscotch View Post
what's it do you get with the EAM's?
https://teameamotorsports.com/collections/2s-batteries
Old 01-29-2019, 01:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Stay away from Protek. I had two brand new Protek batteries one wouldnt charge the other the IR was over 3m ohm. Ive never had problems with the Gen ACE but there ir is high also. Perfect IR is 1m ohm the closer to that number you can get the better the battery.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Here is a good article on LIPO Batteries. Take a look at the C and IR section. It explains allot. If your just a person that goes out to just have fun then you dont need to worry about this stuff. If you r a racer then you need to look into your batteries performance. I have a 308 Duo charger and it displays IR. Didnt know the importance in this untill this last weekend when I raced onroad for the first time in 23 years.

A Guide to Understanding LiPo Batteries
Old 01-29-2019, 03:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bassbuster View Post
Stay away from Protek. I had two brand new Protek batteries one wouldnt charge the other the IR was over 3m ohm. Ive never had problems with the Gen ACE but there ir is high also. Perfect IR is 1m ohm the closer to that number you can get the better the battery.

This is interesting I have had the best luck with protek batterys . They seem to stay at a lower Ir for more cycles than others i have tried . I have used gen ace,reedy,smc, orion and a few others and have the best luck with protek lasting the more cycles and Ir's staying low .
Old 01-29-2019, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I like Orca.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I've run SMC forever, but they work great for a month or two and then start to puff or the IR gets seems to climb for one cell. In light of this I've decided to look for a new manufacturer that has better results and just picked up a pair of the new Motiv shortys 6000 mah, a pair of the Team EAM 5200mah and another pair of the Intellect 6000 mah batteries (looks like Intellect makes batteries for some of the others as they are identical to the motiv batteries aside from the case color).

I also found the "break in" procedure from intellect to be interesting as they suggest charging to 8.10 V then discharging to 7.8v at a 1C charge/discharge rates for a couple cycles then charge/discharge at 2C up to 8.40v and down to 7.6v. after this they suggest a charge rate of 20 amps up to 8.40v and then suggest using the battery in your vehicle. This process is supposed to help activate the battery from its inactive state from the manufacturer (China?).

I'll follow up with my results after some more run time on these.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:29 AM
Tech Initiate

If you want the flat out best batteries I don't think they come any better than the Trinity packs, especially the white carbon packs. I haven't seen any packs last as long abusive cycle wise with as low IR as they have.

But if you aren't rich or super competitive in the A main then they probably aren't worth the price.

Over the last 18 months I've ran Orion (4500, 5000hv), Trinity lipo factory 4300, Maclan (3600hv, 6000hv), Muchmore (3800hv, 4300), Trinity white carbon 5000 (borrowed for a few weeks) and Max amps 150c 4350mah and Gens ace 5000 and 5500hv. I also ran some eco and other super cheap packs that were like 50-90c but felt like 40c and didn't hold a candle to even the lipo factory or orion 4500's.

Honestly I notice way more difference with how you treat the packs than the pack itself once you get mid to upper range packs. I had a hitec x2 charger 6a on AC 10a on DC. Yes it worked but barely. And I don't think its charging algorithm takes care of packs as well as an Icharger. I got a 4010 for a screaming deal and built a power supply and noticed my packs felt better after a few cycles. Plus now I can discharge at 17-18a with its internal discharger and charge at up to 40a to drop IR's. I love my current Gens ace 5500's and they can have more punch than used/old trinity white carbons if I cycle them at -20/+40 and the gens ace 5000's aren't bad either even just charged at 30/40a.

Heck in december when I still had my muchmore 3800 in my wheeler I borrowed a Zee 4600 for a 7min a main, and it had slightly less punch the first few laps but held on longer. Good packs for $30 or whatever they are. IRs were decent when i cycled them for my friend to run before I did.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Very interesting, hoping there'll be an adequate answer :/
Old 02-09-2019, 03:11 AM
Tech Rookie

I use a iCharger 315O and only charge and discharge at 15amps.