Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By FlatSix914
  • 1 Post By Billy Kelly

choosing a radio....

Old 11-14-2018, 08:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default choosing a radio....

So my son and I are gonna start racing. He's 15... i currently have a spektrum dx3r. We are going to need another radio so I'm trying to decide if I should give him the 3xdr and buy myself a dx5 pro, or sell the dx3r and get 2 of the futaba 4pls that are on sale. I do have a trx4 crawler, but the rest are short course truck, tamiya m05 &6, xray tc4, and xray xb2. So, 4 channels should be fine.
Thanks!
The_Flash12 likes this.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I’m slowly moving some of my vehicles to Futaba. I’ve been mostly using Spektrum for years. And until recently it really didn’t matter much to me. Controller was comfortable to use, and seem to overall fine. Over the summer I started noticing some inconsistent behavior. Same car with different receivers would respond different. Then using a cheap controller to compare I noticed even more differences.

All the others a race with use Futaba, except one who prefers Sanawa
smirkracing likes this.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Can't go wrong with Futaba or Sanwa, those are by far the 2 most popular systems in my area. I currently run Graupner, but that system is not in the budget range unfortunately.

Whichever system you choose, I would highly recommend you select a system that offers "Servo Speed" adjustment. Many drivers tend to select a servo that is too fast for their skill level because they are told "get the fastest servo you can afford" but this is some of the worst advice you can get. While I agree that a fast servo is a good idea in general, there comes a point of diminishing return. Most pros in my area will recommend a servo in the .08 to .12 sec/60° range, every driver has a different preference, so instead of buying 10 different servos, it's a lot easier to simply reduce the servo speed through the radio.

I recently tried to help a driver at the club with a Spektrum radio and the servo speed adjustment on it was wonky, to the point where the feature was useless. I personally try to stay far away from Spektrum for many other reasons, but having the ability to tune servo speed is what I feel is the single most important setup adjustment above anything else. It's a fact that slower servos are less likely to strip gears too

If it were me, I'd limit the choices between the MT-S or the 4PLS, both of these systems offer servo speed adjustment for a low budget price.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:37 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
Can't go wrong with Futaba or Sanwa, those are by far the 2 most popular systems in my area. I currently run Graupner, but that system is not in the budget range unfortunately.

Whichever system you choose, I would highly recommend you select a system that offers "Servo Speed" adjustment. Many drivers tend to select a servo that is too fast for their skill level because they are told "get the fastest servo you can afford" but this is some of the worst advice you can get. While I agree that a fast servo is a good idea in general, there comes a point of diminishing return. Most pros in my area will recommend a servo in the .08 to .12 sec/60° range, every driver has a different preference, so instead of buying 10 different servos, it's a lot easier to simply reduce the servo speed through the radio.

I recently tried to help a driver at the club with a Spektrum radio and the servo speed adjustment on it was wonky, to the point where the feature was useless. I personally try to stay far away from Spektrum for many other reasons, but having the ability to tune servo speed is what I feel is the single most important setup adjustment above anything else. It's a fact that slower servos are less likely to strip gears too

If it were me, I'd limit the choices between the MT-S or the 4PLS, both of these systems offer servo speed adjustment for a low budget price.

That´s it !
Old 11-15-2018, 07:17 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Switched from a Spectrum DX3R to a DX5R a year ago and no issues and no problems. Wish I would of switched sooner.
The new DX5 Pro is a step up from the 5R as Spectrum listened to the users and made some nice improvements.
And no problems with making adjustments... like any radio you have to learn how to navigate the screens and understand what each option does...

DX5 Pro on my Christmas list....
Old 11-15-2018, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FlatSix914 View Post
So my son and I are gonna start racing. He's 15... i currently have a spektrum dx3r. We are going to need another radio so I'm trying to decide if I should give him the 3xdr and buy myself a dx5 pro, or sell the dx3r and get 2 of the futaba 4pls that are on sale. I do have a trx4 crawler, but the rest are short course truck, tamiya m05 &6, xray tc4, and xray xb2. So, 4 channels should be fine.
Thanks!
stay away from the 4PLS.. the antenna is so easy to break. you are better of getthing the 3PV

or you can always buy my 4PV ... It comes with a drop down attachment, 1 Life transmitter battery , 1 NiMH transmitter battery, oversized wheel, original steering wheel, manual, and box.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:01 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Phillip F View Post
stay away from the 4PLS.. the antenna is so easy to break. you are better of getthing the 3PV
Agree but if you handle and store the transmitter with care nothing will go wrong with the antenna.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Phillip F View Post

or you can always buy my 4PV ... It comes with a drop down attachment, 1 Life transmitter battery , 1 NiMH transmitter battery, oversized wheel, original steering wheel, manual, and box.
I don't think the 3PV offers a "Servo Speed" adjustment, I would stay away from this system for any club racing. Servo speed adjustment trumps any other feature IMO.