Wiki Posts
Search

Please Help Me Identify ESC

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 06:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Please Help Me Identify ESC

Hi All,

Brand new here and know very little of RC. A friend bought a complete car for cheap. It wasn't working properly so he asked me to look at it as I know a bit about electronics in general. The car has a brushed motor. And if I am correct, the ESC is for brushless. There is no manufacturer, nor model number on the ESC. Only what appears to be a serial number. No other identifying marks. But it is programmable. There is a header which (I suspect is for USB) and 2 buttons: "Mode" and "Set" each with an LED indicator.

In my little bit of research, I found there are ESCs that can be programmed for brushed or brushless mode. I have my doubts that this is that type of ESC. Reason being, I found other ESCs that had "Mode" and "Set" buttons (LPR iX8 for example) that could NOT be changed from brushless to brushed mode. Nonetheless, I thought I would throw it at you experts and see if it can even be identified.

Many thanks in advance! Pics of the ESC are at:

i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh164/PaulFromBayview/IMG_0429.jpg
i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh164/PaulFromBayview/IMG_0427.jpg
Old 09-11-2018, 08:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Its a LRP ESC, I used to have the NOSRAM equivalent "Matrix Evo ISTC", from memory brushed and brushless mode detection was automatic from the way the ESC was wired to the motor.

This ECS needs the sensor cable connected to the header on the front for a brushless motor to work, they do not support senseless mode.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You may need to do the throttle-ESC calibration as a start. For some reason I can't view the images as posted... so I will just go ahead and give you a link to an instruction manual as per B16A2's reply.

http://www.competitionx.com/pdf/esc/...esc-manual.pdf

If it is not the same ESC, you could just use the manual as a basis, that should get you guys started. Oh before you start, don't forget to remove the pinion on the motor or just support the car from under the chassis so that all four wheels are not in contact with the ground - just to be safe.

Here are useful links for other LRP ESC's that may be applicable for the one that you have.
LRP ESC Manuals from CompetitionX's Archive

Originally Posted by B16A2
Its a LRP ESC, I used to have the NOSRAM equivalent "Matrix Evo ISTC", from memory brushed and brushless mode detection was automatic from the way the ESC was wired to the motor.

This ECS needs the sensor cable connected to the header on the front for a brushless motor to work, they do not support senseless mode.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by B16A2
Its a LRP ESC, I used to have the NOSRAM equivalent "Matrix Evo ISTC"
Perfect! Thank you both! Downloaded the manual, wired up the motor correctly, and bingo!

I appreciate it! Now to fix all the bad soldering the last owner did, replace all the wires with the proper gauge, and put it back together.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PaulyWally
Perfect! Thank you both! Downloaded the manual, wired up the motor correctly, and bingo!

I appreciate it! Now to fix all the bad soldering the last owner did, replace all the wires with the proper gauge, and put it back together.
No problem bud. Enjoy the hobby and have fun.