Wiki Posts
Search

Basic question regarding compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 09:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Basic question regarding compatibility

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the whole RC-hobby thing and I'm looking for some very basic info regarding transmitters and receivers. I've got models from Traxxas only (E-Revo 2.0, Unlimited Desert Racer arrives tomorrow/day after, and a Summit).

If I want a "real" or universal transmitter, would I need to get a new receiver for each of these models? I've tried looking for compatibility but it looks mostly like gibberish to me.

I realise some functions might be missing if I don't change the receiver, but in general, would they pair up? Would I be able to access any of the features one would by using Traxxas' own expanded system? Is there a specific model that is compatible with Traxxas' system?

Still, I went with Traxxas as it's easy to use, but I also know that I, in return, become a part of their ecosystem. Like Apple's iOS. But I digress...

Either way, I'm all in, so money isn't a primary concern, I just feel like it'd be a hassle changing every receiver, current and future ones.

(I'm looking to get a high quality transmitter from the get-go. I got a cheaper Slash-version when I started with this hobby, and I regret it very much, should have gone with something of more quality. (I'm getting in to RC for other reasons than most, I assume. I have medical issues, bad short term memory, and I'm a bit shaky with my hands. I'm also just not very great at the whole mechanics-thing. The theory-part I know, the applied-part I do not. I also love racing games and cars, so I like driving too :P Anyway, I'll get to practice all those things with this hobby.)

Old 08-13-2018, 09:20 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Traxxas receivers only work with Traxxas controller. Some of their controllers are capable of having multiple vehicles on single controller. Not sure with the more recent ones if they still have this.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Traxxas receivers only work with Traxxas controller. Some of their controllers are capable of having multiple vehicles on single controller. Not sure with the more recent ones if they still have this.

Thanks for the response mate, unfortunate as it may be. As I said, their ecosystem...

You wouldn't happen to know if the ESC/servos are supported on at least the E-Revo 2.0 and UDR? Or some hint of how/where I might find out?

Thanks again
Old 08-13-2018, 10:00 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HelsRike
Thanks for the response mate, unfortunate as it may be. As I said, their ecosystem...

You wouldn't happen to know if the ESC/servos are supported on at least the E-Revo 2.0 and UDR? Or some hint of how/where I might find out?

Thanks again
Not sure what supported means? I believe the receivers are same. You wrote that you have a Summit coming. Check that controller, it might be capable of have multiple vehicles on it. I’m kinda suprised the UDR didn’t come with one v

As it it sounds like you have caught the RC bug. It’s good to look into consolidating controllers early. I waited way to long. At one point I had over 50 controllers. Still have far too many.

You can always email Traxxas, their customer support usually responses fairy quick.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:19 AM
Tech Lord

Receivers are brand related to their transmitters. When you buy a Futaba transmitter then you can find some 3rd party receivers like Orange (hobbyking)

From Frysky (and found with many brandnames) you can find a GT2B or GT3 transmitters for a very affordable price. These models do come with some advance settings and 10 model memory, the receivers can be found for even 10 bucks or less. Maybe not the high end transmitter you want but still a good one with cheap receivers.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Looks like the Summit comes with their TQi transmitter which can support 30 models. You just need to verify the other cars have a compatible receiver (or purchase a compatible receiver for the other Traxxas models):

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6308018
Old 08-13-2018, 11:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly

Not sure what supported means? I believe the receivers are same. You wrote that you have a Summit coming. Check that controller, it might be capable of have multiple vehicles on it. I’m kinda suprised the UDR didn’t come with one v

As it it sounds like you have caught the RC bug. It’s good to look into consolidating controllers early. I waited way to long. At one point I had over 50 controllers. Still have far too many.

You can always email Traxxas, their customer support usually responses fairy quick.
Hey, I've already got the Summit, it's the UDR that's incoming I don't mind if I can't bind the Summit, I'm using it very rarely. It was a bit too slow, but still fun sometimes for crawling.

And yes, I've definitely caught the RC bug. It's cool that I could bind more of Traxxas' controllers to the Summit's controller, but I was also looking for something that I could modify a bit, as well as use some more advanced functions. I could buy Traxxas' bluetooth-thing but I'll still have the same controller, same grip, trigger, wheel etc. I know I'll end up getting a high-end version later anyway, so I won't waste money on something I'll not use for long :P I'd like something advanced but easy to use, so something with a touch screen interface Still good advice to consolidate when possible, I can imagine things getting out of hand. (I actually have five controllers with the UDR, not four, my bad ;P)

As to whether it supports Traxxas' servos and ESC; before getting here I was going through some articles. I found this video. I'm not allowed to post links but it's on YouTube, so just add youtube before the URL, or search for "How Does A Radio System Work? - Get Into RC" by RCDriver_Online.
watch?v=5X-IGxxIU0A&t=366s

They say the ESC/servo might not be compatible. Maybe this is not relevant any longer or in this case specifically?

Last edited by HelsRike; 08-14-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Generally most Traxxas radios don't offer model memory settings, what that means is that there is no limit to the number of Traxxas receivers (Rx) you can bind to a transmitter (Tx), but when controlling different cars with the same Tx, you will need to change the trim settings between cars and that's where having model memory pre-sets comes in handy.

It might be tempting to stay with Traxxas but you don't have to, any brand of radio will be compatible with your Traxxas equipment. You just need to re-calibrate your ESC to the new radio. For a decent budget based radio system, I would consider the Radiolink RC4GS... you won't be able to use your Traxxas Rx with this system, but Radiolink Rx's can be found for around $15 shipped:

Not sure how many older RC3S radios are out there, but these could be found for as low as $40 shipped after they were discontinued:

Old 08-14-2018, 11:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

If you look in the for sale section here, there are people selling transmitters with multiple receivers because they switched brands. It may be a good way to get into a programmable multi function system. It's easy to change receivers, You don't have to be mechanically inclined. It's not much more difficult than changing batteries. Don't get discouraged by it.

I'm in the same boat as you are regarding why I got into this hobby. It is a fun way to kill some time. Researching is part of that fun, IMO. Enjoy yourself.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you billdelong and Biz73 for your input, I appreciate it!

This makes it far easier to shop around! Now I feel more secure buying a new transmitter/receiver, so I'll do that. I'll go with Futaba's high-end version though, I want an advanced controller that's still user friendly. I'll end up getting one of those anyway, might as well just get it now.

I have another question regarding compatibility, this time about batteries. Is there any way for me to use an adapter to use my Traxxas batteries in a non-Traxxas model? And vice versa? I know I can charge non-Traxxas batteries using the EZ-Peak chargers, which is great, will save me some money. Would be very, very nice if I could use the batteries as well though, since I have a lot of them :/

(Anecdote:
I've had some mechanical issues the past like, ten days, with my RC:s. I wasn't able to drive for more than a week, drove me nuts, and the company shipping my Traxxas UDR still haven't delivered... Seems to have been a mix-up at the post office/a mistake made by the retailer – I got the info to retrieve my package, but it was in someone else's name.... I decided to use a different vendor that use DHL instead of PostNord to buy another RC while waiting for the UDR – got it in less than 24 hours. Free shipping... So anyway, I now have even more RC:s and my first non-Traxxas RC (the Carma 1/24 model excluded). Hobbytech BXR.S1. It's perhaps not a brand well-known to everyone; they seem popular in France though. it's a french company. The Swedish retailer I'm buying from have spares for it though

Also, having had these mechanical issues wasn't all bad though, I'm now very familiar now with my E-Revo. I landed hard on the back wheel yesterday and a connection from the wheel hub to the suspension popped out. (Don't know the name of the part yet though, still learning but too lazy to check up now.) A week ago, I'd have thought it was broken. Now I know it only popped out of its socket and that it'd take a few minutes to get it back in. The new model I bought had to be bound to the remote before I could drive. The manual wasn't the best and showed a picture of the receiver, showing where to turn it on. They neglected to mention that you had to open the receiver box to reach the receiver though. But, because I'd worked on my E-Revo, I knew!

I've also realised how easy it is to work on a receiver, and yeah, it seems very easy to switch receivers. I haven't yet, but I've had to dig around in there for my servos so I extrapolate from that.)

Anyway, thanks for the input regarding the receiver; I appreciate it! If anyone could let me know about the batteries as well, it'd be greatly appreciated
Old 08-19-2018, 09:40 AM
Tech Champion

Although Traxxas is doing everything in their power to prevent anyone from making compatible products, more about their greed here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...oycott-Traxxas

There are still some companies that have Traxxas compatible battery connectors like these:
https://www.valuehobby.com/catalogse...&q=trx+adapter

Pretty soon, your only option for Traxxas compatible connectors will be from stores in China who can't be sued by them:
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/t...t-infringement
Old 08-20-2018, 02:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Quick question before I respond to the rest: If I can find an adapter, is it safe to use it for charging as well as using on the RC car? LiPo batteries are pretty extreme after all, wondering if there's additional resistance using an adapter that could affect the electronics?

Originally Posted by billdelong
Although Traxxas is doing everything in their power to prevent anyone from making compatible products, more about their greed here:
(HelsRike: Can't quote links, too new to forum.)

There are still some companies that have Traxxas compatible battery connectors like these:

Pretty soon, your only option for Traxxas compatible connectors will be from stores in China who can't be sued by them:
Yeah, I kind of knew that when I went in on the hobby; that I'd be fairly locked in to their ecosystem. I didn't know exactly how much of course, but since they have so many trademarked features, perhaps most prominently the iD-charging system, I had a hunch. Still, I was/am new to the hobby and their models have a lot of support, I was not comfortable using LiPos where I'd have to input things myself. As a beginner, I felt it'd be worth it going with Traxxas to begin with.

Being new, I also didn't know what to expect exactly. Everyone's always speaking of upgrades, so when I heard the Slash had issues with overheating, but that it'd be possible to mod it, I figured it's pretty normal in this hobby and an easy solution It wasn't though. Problem with Traxxas is that their models are far more expensive than other similar products and they have more plastic, less metal and simply cost more. (I'm saying this as someone who have a Slash, E-Revo 2.0, Summit and a Traxxas UDR arriving today, and a LaTrax Rally) I made a huge mistake with the Slash though. I decided to upgrade everything I'd bought at once, but then I mixed up the screws. I did keep notes of where they went, but I wasn't detailed enough... Anyway, I'm now using it for spare parts.

As I said, I didn't know the extent to which I'd be locked in, but I knew I would have. It's the way many companies work these days.

This is how I reason regarding Traxxas: I compare Traxxas to the likes of HP, Compaq and other large OEMs manufacturing desktop PCs. They're overpriced, there's a lot of no-name parts that is of lower quality, and then there's the bloatware, pretty sure some deviate from the standardised measurements on products as well, but not sure. However, they're easy for novice consumers. Other companies making RCs RTR I compare with small, local OEMs where you can buy your own parts and have them assemble it, or, where they assemble a setup they chose, but which uses components from quality manufacturers. However, if you know what you're doing, you can do it better yourself for less. Which brings us to the kits.

Anyway, I'm happy with the E-Revo, I like the Summit for what it is and I think I'll like the UDR. However, I'd probably have gone with one of the Arrma-models instead of the E-Revo. Cheaper and probably better. I just ordered an Arrma Senton 2018 from eBay and I'm very unlikely to buy more Traxxas products moving forward. I just got a Hobbytech buggy, it was less than the Slash, and far higher quality. I feel more comfortable now with most things so yeah, I don't need Traxxas to hold my hand all that much at this point. Really the only thing that'd stop me is availability of spare parts. I live in Sweden, in a small-ish town. I know the dealers in Sweden have spares for Arrma, but many don't sell their RC:s.

So, in essence, I agree that the way Traxxas are doing things can be seen as not OK, but I also understand those who like them and why they would buy them. I will stock up on adapters for Traxxas now though, that's for sure

Long and off-topic post here, I apologise :P
Old 08-20-2018, 03:13 AM
Tech Lord

Traxxas does supply an adapter cable:

You can rebuild that one to charge EZ batteries on normal chargers.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:54 AM
Tech Champion

I feel that Traxxas is more like the Apple of R/C, you pay way more money than what the product is worth, and for some crazy reason, people still love their inferior products, completely mind boggling to me.

There is no danger in using adapters... yes you will add resistance, but it will be insignificant provided you are just using one adapter... keep in mind that the adapter will eventually wear out and need to be replaced... if you start to feel heat build up over time on the connector during use, that's when you know it's time to replace the adapter.