Tariffs on RC products?

Like Tree2Likes

Tariffs on RC products?

Old 08-09-2018, 11:02 PM
Who
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stork1313 View Post
Normally there is more than one Harmonized code that can be used for each type of part/commodity (at least for the computer parts industry). The descriptions they list in these harmonized codes really leave it open to interpretation. I would find a few that you think your product fits, then call up DHL (or whatever carrier you plan to use) and ask for the duty and tax team. Ask them if the harmonized codes you found are part of this new 25% tariff. They should tell you, they told me. DHL's direct line for the Duty and Tax Team is 866-638-7668. May save you some time on hold to finally get to the right people to talk to.
time will tell
Old 08-14-2018, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by urnotevenwrg2 View Post
I would classify them honestly, but look through all options. Maybe there is a different category like hobby/craft supplies that could save you some money. Maybe ask a lawyer specializing in import law?
You'll likely need to find a LCB to properly classify your items. The HTSUS may have an eo nomine provision for electric servo motors....or they may fall under a general use provision? Either way...you'll need a broker to calculate applicable duty, HMF, MPF, and to facilitate the payment due to US Customs.

If your servos are brushless they are likely to be classified as 8501.10.4040 or non-brushless as 8501.10.4060....or possibly 8501.10.6040 and 8501.10.6060 respectively(depending on ouput wattage).

Last edited by Xpress; 08-14-2018 at 12:28 PM. Reason: .
Old 08-16-2018, 12:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

We receive dozens and dozens of shipments monthly from China, so far there has not been a single tariff increase on any of our products. We do, and always have paid tariffs on all products (generally in the 1.5% to 4% range depending on product) but nothing has increased for years.
As stated above most tariffs do not apply to individual consumers, in some countries they do this and that is generally referred to as "VAT" (Value added tax) and those fees are collected right by the company shipping the product to you who in turns pays it to the respective agency. When we pay tariffs/duties on our shipments we pay them directly to the shipper and they are responsible for forwarding our payment to the Feds.
If tariffs do hit our products then yes, we will all see increased prices across the board from all suppliers. The "loophole" to this is going to be the companies that are Chinese companies with satellite locations (i.e. warehouses by the docks in SoCal) that can falsify docs to show much lower values and pay lower overall tariffs.
Although tariffs could have a significant impact on our business I do believe that the end result is going to be positive.