Wiki Posts
Search

Charger

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 03:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by burnnitro
OP, the more money you spend on a charger the longer your batteries will last. if you buy a $60 charger it will not keep your packs in greatest of condition.

if you choose a brand like Icharger for example, it's able to charge the packs better and keep the cells matched closer. increasing the lifepan of your packs. in fact since I've been using one and got rid of my Hitec charger I no longer get puffy battery packs and they all have very low IR measurements. low IR = more power output.
if you're going to spend money on a hobby that you think you're going to stick with just bite the bullet and spend the extra $. it will save you $ in the long run on buying less batteries.
I was going to get one of those Hitec chargers until I read this. What charger would you recommend to charge a couple of 2s receiver packs and a 4s starter pack in a reasonable amount of time. I'm only bashing right now but racing is in the future.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

I bought my son the Hitec 17- Amp ePowerbox and X1 Pro Charger.
-he runs mostly Ni-MH and some Li-Po batteries

Did I get him a bad charger?
Old 12-30-2017, 05:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GuyIsDamGood
I bought my son the Hitec 17- Amp ePowerbox and X1 Pro Charger.
-he runs mostly Ni-MH and some Li-Po batteries

Did I get him a bad charger?
While this does not address the question at hand, I wanted to prequalify subsequent responses.

Electrons are not price sensitive. This is to say, spending more on any given charger - in and of itself - is no guarantee as to the quality of charge, effect on battery lifecycle, etc.. A significant portion of charger price discrepancy can be accounted for by energy capacity (i.e. watts, charge/discharge/balance), feature set, and construction/materials. Let's not forget name branding... While individuals or forums, such as RCT are great sources for experienced based opinions, and a lot can be said for people sharing their personal experiences, do not take that alone as fact.

Question any responses before accepting them as truth. If someone says charger X is better than Y because it balances the cells more closely, what technical truth are they basing that statement off of? Does one charger monitor the cells down to .001 vs. .01(?), maybe a more accurate/better balancing algorithm is used(?) or higher quality components with less margin of error/deviation for measuring?
Old 12-31-2017, 01:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the info gee-dub.

I have the Graupner Polaron (power supply and charger EX 1400).
-I don't want my son kill'n my charger so I bought him the Hitec X1 Pro.

I heard a few guys talk'n bad about Hitec chargers at the RC meetings. I read this thread and thought others were also off on Hitec chargers.

I get your point.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:31 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by gee-dub
While this does not address the question at hand, I wanted to prequalify subsequent responses.

Electrons are not price sensitive. This is to say, spending more on any given charger - in and of itself - is no guarantee as to the quality of charge, effect on battery lifecycle, etc.. A significant portion of charger price discrepancy can be accounted for by energy capacity (i.e. watts, charge/discharge/balance), feature set, and construction/materials. Let's not forget name branding... While individuals or forums, such as RCT are great sources for experienced based opinions, and a lot can be said for people sharing their personal experiences, do not take that alone as fact.

Question any responses before accepting them as truth. If someone says charger X is better than Y because it balances the cells more closely, what technical truth are they basing that statement off of? Does one charger monitor the cells down to .001 vs. .01(?), maybe a more accurate/better balancing algorithm is used(?) or higher quality components with less margin of error/deviation for measuring?
That is soooooooo true!
Most experiences do come from a one device only so if its bad all is bad and if its good, all is good. They do forget that their bad working of even good working device is a one experience only. But cheap B6 copied chargers are made of parts with higer tolerances and are known of some tolerances at the balancer, on the other hand a 0.05v difference between cells is no end of the world nor a dimp in the performance. Even then there are so many people complaining and do not do a check with a voltmeter to see if their charger is really that "far" off.

And about brand fanboys. Some years ago I had a discussion with someone who stated Savox servo's were crap and his Orion servo's were super while the Orion were just rebranded Savox.....