Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
RCHourglass DIY Lap Timing (AKA Cano revised) >

RCHourglass DIY Lap Timing (AKA Cano revised)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree157Likes

RCHourglass DIY Lap Timing (AKA Cano revised)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2023, 05:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi Ludo,
Please, do you can help me?
I´m try some kinds of loop amplifiers, and now I´m buyed the MLA30 loop amplifier, but I´m with dificult to integrate on decoder...

Do you can share how do you assambled your system?

Best Regards!

Ederson
Old 05-23-2023, 05:41 PM
Tech Rookie

[QUOTE=zouky23;15782814]Hello !!
So i made some tests about webserver ... i have trouble after few laps, i have to refresh many times before having all laps ... i maybe missed a delay somewhere .... or bad wifi board, or too much data ... i have to check it ....
I made some test with detection too, difference with original transponder / cano transponder
My configuration:
1/8 Off Road track, 4x0.4m loop, cano amplifer (work better than MLA30 for me)

In this car, original transponder

Reception with original transponder

Result .... i had to refresh many times ....

I add my differents design ( kicad / PCBnew )

Hi Ludo,
Please, do you can help me?
I´m try some kinds of loop amplifiers, and now I´m buyed the MLA30 loop amplifier, but I´m with dificult to integrate on decoder...

Do you can share how do you assambled your system?

Best Regards!

Ederson
Old 07-04-2023, 02:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Greetings to all.

I've been trying to advance for 2 days but I'm a noob way over my head.

We have a RC3 decoder at my local club and the only transponders we are able to use, are the Mylaps "Hybrid" (with two wires). They are as expensive as the cars we use.

I'd like to DIY a transponder, but I can't find the files to send to PCBWay (or any other PCB maker) or the list of components.

I've read until my eyes blurred and it seems some people made PCB designs but I can't find them anywhere. Are they for sale maybe? I'm from Spain, so it would be hard (expensive) to buy from the USA.

Any help is appreciated.

Have a good day!
Old 07-06-2023, 09:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by kikerumbo
Greetings to all.

I've been trying to advance for 2 days but I'm a noob way over my head.

We have a RC3 decoder at my local club and the only transponders we are able to use, are the Mylaps "Hybrid" (with two wires). They are as expensive as the cars we use.

I'd like to DIY a transponder, but I can't find the files to send to PCBWay (or any other PCB maker) or the list of components.

I've read until my eyes blurred and it seems some people made PCB designs but I can't find them anywhere. Are they for sale maybe? I'm from Spain, so it would be hard (expensive) to buy from the USA.

Any help is appreciated.

Have a good day!

Answering myself, in case someone needs it.

I found this:

Since I can't post links... The webpage is oshpark.com followed by shared_projects followed by xsPLwajU

It has the PCB design and the component list.
Old 07-29-2023, 05:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Good morning everybody.
I bought the components to carry out the project, the loop amplifier I will use the lma-30+.
Has anyone had success with this configuration?
Is there any pcb gerber file for the decoder?
Sorry for the amount of questions I read almost the entire topic but as it's been a long time maybe someone can give me valuable information.
I thank everyone
Old 07-31-2023, 08:14 AM
Tech Regular

There's no 'official PCB' for the project, some have been kindly published by other users. I think no one has published a detailed LMA 30 schematic, and I've never used one.
Old 07-31-2023, 09:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by gusdepaulasd
I bought the components to carry out the project, the loop amplifier I will use the lma-30+.
Has anyone had success with this configuration?
Hi,
yes I use this configuration. Reception is great.
Remember to tune the pot inside the loop amplifier. I had to slightly reduce the gain for best performance.
Remember to disable the 5V antenna power supply on decoder too.
Old 07-31-2023, 01:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by mdenadal
Remember to tune the pot inside the loop amplifier. I had to slightly reduce the gain for best performance.
Ok I'll do it.

Remember to disable the 5V antenna power supply on decoder too.
I don't know if I understand correctly, the lma30+ has a 5 volt power input correct? should i not use it? would it be this ?
Old 07-31-2023, 04:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by gusdepaulasd
Ok I'll do it.
I don't know if I understand correctly, the lma30+ has a 5 volt power input correct? should i not use it? would it be this ?
MLA-30+ comes in two parts: the loop amplifier itself and a box with 2 sma connectors and a usb style port.
This little box works as a sort of power injector.
The RCHourglass decoder was originally intented to be used with Howard Cano's loop amplifier instead ot the MLA-30+, so it supplies 5V on the coaxial cable to power the loop amplifier.
As MLA-30+ is self powered (through the little box) you don't have to provide the 5V power supply from the decoder. I don't know if the "little box" is somehow protected, in doubt I don't power it .

Last edited by mdenadal; 07-31-2023 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-31-2023, 04:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well I gave it a try, unfortunately I can't seem to get the loop to pick anything up. Decoder seems to work, the RCHourGlass Manager program is able to beep and flash the LED. I think the issue may be with my loop amp.

I'm in way over my head though and don't really know what else to do. Test points all seemed to be OK, but I don't really know what to do from here.

I may just reorder loop amp parts and redo that.

Old 08-01-2023, 12:51 AM
Tech Regular

Double check transistor connection/orientation (but if you say all test voltages match, they should be fine). Do you have access to an oscilloscope?
Old 08-01-2023, 02:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mv4wd
Double check transistor connection/orientation (but if you say all test voltages match, they should be fine). Do you have access to an oscilloscope?
I unfortunately do not. I went and bought all components again today to have another try. I struggled with the loop amp build as I started to follow the wiki layout but then got a little lost, more than likely something I have done. Will plan out better next build.
Old 08-01-2023, 08:42 AM
Tech Initiate

MLA-30+ comes in two parts: the loop amplifier itself and a box with 2 sma connectors and a usb style port.
The RCHourglass decoder was originally intented to be used with Howard Cano's loop amplifier instead ot the MLA-30+, so it supplies 5V on the coaxial cable to power the loop amplifier.
As MLA-30+ is self powered (through the little box) you don't have to provide the 5V power supply from the decoder. I don't know if the "little box" is somehow protected, in doubt I don't power it .
Good afternoon, now I understand, thank you very much.
This week all the components should arrive so I'm going to venture out!
I hope it works out
Old 08-01-2023, 11:05 AM
Tech Adept

Interesting, I have the older MLA30 (no plus). I never thought about cutting the power supply from the decoder. Someone said, the MLA works with the power supply from the decoder so I tried it and it does.
I have two setups, one where the MLA30 is supplied by the original little power box and the other one where the MLA30 is just hooked to the decoder. Both work and there are no significant differences. Both have about 60-70cm of range above the 4m wide loop.
When using the original MLA30 power supply, I admit it would be cleaner if the supply from the decoder is cut. Maybe reception is even better then?
Andreas

Old 08-01-2023, 11:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by kikerumbo
Answering myself, in case someone needs it.

I found this:

Since I can't post links... The webpage is oshpark.com followed by shared_projects followed by xsPLwajU

It has the PCB design and the component list.
Just wondering, did you have any luck making the transponder?

I ordered some of the v1 and v2 boards and the components to try and make some but i've not had any luck.
I've been able to program the PIC whilst not mounted to the board but as soon as it is mounted it looks like i'm getting a short. If I connect the SOIC8 programmer whilst on the board it says too high current draw.

From what I can tell everything appears to be mounted cleanly. I'm using a hot plate to flow the paste with the components and everything seems to match up with the schematics.
I have no real experience in fault finding electronics like this.

Is anyone still actively working on these that might be able to point out either what points to test on the board or a likely fault i've made?
I'll see if I can get some images up of the board.

Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.