Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
RCHourglass DIY Lap Timing (AKA Cano revised) >

RCHourglass DIY Lap Timing (AKA Cano revised)

Like Tree52Likes

RCHourglass DIY Lap Timing (AKA Cano revised)

Old 01-17-2018, 02:07 PM
Tech Rookie

I fixed the pictures

Anyone try Mylaps AIT10R078 with the cano decoder. It is the newer RC4 Hybrid

Last edited by Snowblind; 01-17-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
I fixed the pictures

Yes. The hybrid is compatible.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:04 AM
Tech Adept

Looking into the code I'm afraid I need to patch RCHourglass decoder firmware, since it reads all the packets (RC3 and RC4). So the rule to register a transponder, that is 3 equal packages in a row, might not work if Hybrid transponder alternates between RC3 and RC4 packets. Unfortunately I don't have a hybrid transponder (actually I don't have any mylaps transponder) to check it. I'll make the update anyway in the firmware.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:08 AM
Tech Adept

But make the decoder default to a Mylaps compatible mode on startup.
The problem with sending out voltages 'custom' packets can make the transponder not work with Mylaps decoder, not the opposite, so it's not a decoder default to be set. This of course for the published numbers that come from Howard original code. If you go with your own numbers and don't mind for Mylaps compatibility, the protocol can be expanded without problems.
One main issue is that Cano protocol from decoder to PC does not allow to send voltage information to the scoring software (or temperature or hits).
Old 01-18-2018, 11:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by mv4wd View Post
Looking into the code I'm afraid I need to patch RCHourglass decoder firmware, since it reads all the packets (RC3 and RC4). So the rule to register a transponder, that is 3 equal packages in a row, might not work if Hybrid transponder alternates between RC3 and RC4 packets. Unfortunately I don't have a hybrid transponder (actually I don't have any mylaps transponder) to check it. I'll make the update anyway in the firmware.
Nice to read that cano decoder live and can be smaller and easier to build. We have original cano transponder, but now we must create loop and amplifier. In our RC community are ale types of knowing transpondera so we can provide usefully data if it is needed. I will build this new decoder and experiment with it.
Is it possible to monitor signal strength?
Old 01-18-2018, 01:19 PM
Tech Rookie

The problem with sending out voltages 'custom' packets can make the transponder not work with Mylaps decoder, not the opposite, so it's not a decoder default to be set. This of course for the published numbers that come from Howard original code. If you go with your own numbers and don't mind for Mylaps compatibility, the protocol can be expanded without problems.
One main issue is that Cano protocol from decoder to PC does not allow to send voltage information to the scoring software (or temperature or hits).
Yes you are right I should have said default to cano mode that filters out any new packets so all lap timing software will still work.

I didnt think of that yes I want to keep the RC3 compatible with the mylaps decoder going to need a another PIC pin for a mode select too. I need to order some PIC16F18323 along with some other items from digikey. I will do that in 2 weeks. I will look over the asm code closer in the mean time.

My track uses RC3/RC4 I will get a one of the hybrid at some point to have a transponder that I know will work no problems. Plus I want to have a look at the RC4 stuff
Old 01-19-2018, 10:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

First version of the MX Transponder:

Hope it will be Ok
Attached Thumbnails RCHourglass DIY Lap Timing (AKA Cano revised)-26910585_10213179508715849_1143532053585217377_o.jpg  
Old 01-19-2018, 03:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mroc View Post
Hope it will be Ok
It looks great. Do you have a switch to preserve battery? I also see that you've skipped the led. That pin might be enough to connect a 1 wire temperature sensor.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

It looks great. Do you have a switch to preserve battery? I also see that you've skipped the led. That pin might be enough to connect a 1 wire temperature sensor.

The LED will be minted on the case. I have ordered some mercury switch
to only power the print when mounted on the fork.
Actually I have mesure a current from 1.7 mA hope is ok.

Thor
Old 01-20-2018, 02:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

May be i have to use an antenna with a ferrit inlet

Thor
Old 01-20-2018, 10:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hello mv4wd,
if you make a new firmware for the decoder, can you add a beep
on every transponder decoded, on an output pin, it is very useful
to seen when a racer is missed.

Thanks

Thor
Old 01-21-2018, 01:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

I made a footprint for the Cy8CKit for Kicad:

Thor
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Cypress_CY8CKIT.kicad_mod.zip (2.0 KB, 113 views)
Old 01-21-2018, 09:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Implementation for Veroboard:

No F connector will be mounted on case
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Decoder_verro.pdf (96.9 KB, 208 views)
Old 01-25-2018, 11:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hello,
I will order some ESP32 module to test if it is possible to make a transponder with it,
in datasheet is specified that the PWN could be used with a frequency of 8 Mhz.
It as temp sensor, hall and Wifi/Bluetouch.
ht_p://espressif.com/sites/default/files/documentation/esp32_datasheet_en.pdf

and is small too..

Edit: Docs:
<<
The LEDC may be used for providing signals at much higher frequencies to clock other devices, e.g. a digital camera module. In such a case the maximum available frequency is 40 MHz with duty resolution of 1 bit. This means that duty is fixed at 50% and cannot be adjusted.
>>

Thor

Last edited by mroc; 01-25-2018 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Added max frequency for PWM
Old 01-26-2018, 04:24 AM
Tech Adept

The temp sensor is available also in the PIC, but it gives the chip die temperature... usually we're interested on motor temperature and sticking the pic to the motor is not possible. An external connector to a temp sensor might be better. The critical part for PWM is generating exact 5Mhz bpsk signals and sometimes with the dividers/frequencies available in some chips this is not possible at all. Datasheet need to be deeply studied to check this possibility. Wifi and bluetooth are great but probably overkill for such use... I'm investigating VDD dac conversion and writing down a protocol to send this info to the decoder. When ready I'll update the firmware.
mroc likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service