Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
RCHourglass DIY Lap Timing (AKA Cano revised) >

RCHourglass DIY Lap Timing (AKA Cano revised)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree157Likes

RCHourglass DIY Lap Timing (AKA Cano revised)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 07:08 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Llo836
the blue led of the PSOC turns on
This is ok since the preamble detector works, but if you're using RC4 transponders the also need to be 'learnt' to detect passage. The led and buzzer outputs are used to signal passage.

When I pass the transponder over the loop cable, the program counts turns "Everlaps" detects me the passage through the loop but does not start the race it puts me "waiting for the decoder"
So you see the transponder number in the program? That means it's working. The waiting for decoder is maybe bacause my AmbRc emulation is not 100% correct for some handshake messages.

and the program "ZRound" does not detect the decoder
Check port number and emulation type, go in ZRound configuration page and make sure that you press the connect button. Make sure you the decoder protocol matches the one selected in the software (both AmbRC or both Cano).
Remapping to COM 1-4 is needed for Rentix,and require the software to run as administrator (at least this was in my test). I don't think newer software require to remap the com port number. Just make sure the number configured in the software matches the one you see in windows device manager.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by d3m0
Everlaps didn't work at least with firmware version 0.5 I didn't tried 0.6 version yet. Marco did some tweaks to serial decoding, maybe it will fix this issue. Zround works great with Cano mode and with AMB mode. Try to config modes with RCHourglassManager.exe or via telnet. It's everything on documentation.
Version 0.6 corrects comunication on the hardware serial port, no changes expected on the USB connection. Is everlaps downloadable?
Old 04-20-2019, 11:09 AM
Tech Rookie

sorry

Last edited by Llo836; 04-20-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by mv4wd
Version 0.6 corrects comunication on the hardware serial port, no changes expected on the USB connection. Is everlaps downloadable?
You have a link message
The program tells me the transponder number (hybrid) at 30cm in height with respect to the loop. *These days I'm busy next week I'll continue with the tests
Old 04-20-2019, 12:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Sorry to bump in here but it seems their is only one thread for this project.

I've been looking around for a low cost lap tracking system for quite some time and stumbled across this project when looking at different decoders Z Round supports. I think what you guys are doing here is amazing and something the world of RC really needs. I race AE SC28s in my buddies garage on fridays. The cars only cost 50$ and most transponders cost more than that. I recently purchased everything I need to build the loop amplifier, decoder and 12 transponders. Unfortunately though do to my lack of knowledge about these Psoc micro controllers I bought kind of the wrong one.

It is the proper PSOC5LP but it didn't come with the programming board. It instead has a "bootloader" installed from the factory allowing code to be written to it through the mini usb port. I didn't figure this out till after I got it. I've been reading all day on how this works and from what I gather I can only write a program to it if I have the original project file. This is because I have to combine the original project with a bootloader file that was supplied by the manufacturer of the particular board I bought. Then when I finalize the project is will be "boot loadable" and I can then write it to my board. Massive pain, If I had any idea I never would've bought it.

I've been reading through all the post here for the last week and as I gathered you don't want to make the source code public, or at least not yet anyway. SOOOOO.... I would hate to ask but could you maybe e-mail me the original project file privately so I can fix this mess. I will not modify it or post it anywhere and delete it as soon as I get my chip programmed. Like I said I hate to ask but I'll be out 30$ on this board, but even worst I'm pumped on this project and was really hoping I can at least get to testing by mid week, and maybe god willing have it done in time for race night on friday.

Either way thanks for the time you'be put into this, the fact that it also supports the MYlaps transponders is just icing on the cake. You guys should have a paypal donation, pass the hat around.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:19 AM
Tech Initiate

If you're not comfortable with letting me borrow the source code, I could send you the bootloadable hex file and you could combine it with the source code on your system to generate a bootoader compatible hex that I could use. From what I read it looks straight forward to do, and would really help me out. It could be posted to github allowing anyone with a Schmartboard PSoC 5LP development board to be able to load the software. Since its the only PSoC 5LP board available on amazon it could be handy to the community.

Last edited by quad4racing; 04-21-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by quad4racing
anyone with a Schmartboard PSoC 5LP development board to be able to load the software
Hi, thanks for your interest. Unfortunately if the board is the one I've found online, it's not able to support the project, since the chip max frequency is 67 MHz, whereas the PSOC CY8C5888LTI-LP097 runs at 80MHz in my software. I'm afraid this would make it not compatible. As I see the bootloader should be the 'standard' PSOC Creator.... but I think that for the price you cannot beat the original Cypress board. You can buy Cypress direct for 10$, and it also contains a second PSOC that works as a programmer and debugger.

Old 04-21-2019, 05:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by mv4wd
Unfortunately if the board is the one I've found online, it's not able to support the project, since the chip max frequency is 67 MHz, whereas the PSOC CY8C5888LTI-LP097 runs at 80MHz in my software. I'm afraid this would make it not compatible.
I thought any PSoC5LP board would work since their all based on the ARM3 architecture. Poor assumption on my part.

I will be returning it and ordering the one you recommend. I have no experience with these Cypress boards, and unfortunately they seem rather complicated in figuring out what it is you're getting. I think putting the link to the board in the section where you detail the construction of the decoder would be helpful for newbies like myself.

Anyways, thank you for your detailed response! Their's a good chance I would've been banging my head off the wall not knowing what was wrong for a long time if I had been able to use that chip.

Edit:

Ordered from your link and I was sent just the SMT chip, no development board, no programmer. Not gonna be usable for the project. I got one coming from ebay now. Thanks anyway though. That website is confusing.

Last edited by quad4racing; 05-01-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Its really close now

Old 04-30-2019, 06:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Looks good. Is that the 8pin dip socket mounted underneath where the pSoC chip is going?

Why did you choose that location? I would think that would make programming your pic micros really tedious, having to pull the pSoC every time.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by quad4racing
Looks good. Is that the 8pin dip socket mounted underneath where the pSoC chip is going?

Why did you choose that location? I would think that would make programming your pic micros really tedious, having to pull the pSoC every time.
well... Didnt think of that. I chose that location to avoid using any more cables. I will not be using it, it's just for testing.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:21 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by lexusbest
well... Didnt think of that. I chose that location to avoid using any more cables. I will not be using it, it's just for testing.
I think you can make and extention cable to the socket... not very nice but... if ti works. Let us know how your finished build works
Old 05-03-2019, 07:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Measured resistance between vcc and gnd pins of the psoc is 3.97K. Still need to get some components to check voltages.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Coming along nicely

Last edited by quad4racing; 05-04-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:09 PM
Tech Initiate

I got everything built and it appears to all be working!

I'm running the transponder off of a 1s lipo. I skipped the voltage regulator in the schematic in order to achieve this. It appears to work for now, I'm only doing the most basic testing but I have high hopes. The cars we're running are SC28's which only have a 150mah 1s internal in them. Also their weight out of the box is exactly 100 grams so every gram counts and I didn't want to run separate batteries because of this.

I'm super pumped to start work on the other 14 transponders I have to build, its gonna take some effort, but it'll be worth it. Keeping track with pen and paper can be a real hassle when we got a full house. After I get the transponders done that will hopefully be a thing of the past.

Thank you for all your hard work you put into this. I'm really impressed with the quality of everything and the robustness of this system. Even though its home made, you're really getting all the features of the insanely expensive systems, at a fraction of the cost. Our little group never would've been able to have this kind of system without yours and Cano's help.

I'll post pics when I hit enough post to do so.

Last edited by quad4racing; 05-04-2019 at 10:03 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.