• 1 Post By fyrstormer
  • 1 Post By Eric Bryant

Build Complete: Modular running lights for nighttime testing

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 03:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Build Complete: Modular running lights for nighttime testing

If you're like me, your work schedule doesn't always allow you to go outside and play before the sun goes down. I have a few vehicles with permanently-installed running lights so I can have fun at night, but sometimes I need to test modifications to a vehicle that doesn't have running lights. For these vehicles I built this:

If you're into outdoor survival gear at all, you may recognize the white part as a Pak-Lite, which is a little LED flashlight that clips onto a 9-volt battery. I had been using one for a while for nighttime RC testing, but I wanted taillights too, so I bought a red one and attached the two together with a bit of extra servo wire:

(yes, I got the polarity of the wires backwards. no, I don't care enough to fix it.)

The wiring was simple enough, I just connected the terminals of both lights together positive-to-positive and negative-to-negative, so the red light could piggyback off the white light's power supply. The only tricky part was making sure my solder joints on the white light were small enough that they wouldn't interfere with the light's ability to snap onto the 9-volt battery -- and working in a tight space with a 400-degree soldering iron surrounded by plastic. (Interesting side-note: the radiant heat from the soldering iron made the glow-in-the-dark casing on the white light glow a little, which was unexpected.) Once the wires were connected, I stuffed a couple layers of Tamiya foam bumper tape into the socket on the back of the red light, then stuck a piece of double-sided servo tape on top of the bumper tape to give the red light the ability to stick to the butt-end of the 9-volt battery.

The whole thing is held to the roof of whatever car I'm testing using another piece of servo tape, specifically the kind of servo tape that is easy to peel off and re-stick:

It's a hell of a lot easier to see my cars in the dark now; I can even infer that the chassis is leaning based on the angle of the two little LEDs relative to each other. Generally speaking, I prefer for my builds to be more elegant than this, but y'know, sometimes simple and functional is good enough.
KA2AEV likes this.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:19 AM
Tech Champion

Oh, one more thing: Pak-Lites work really well, but they are heinously overpriced for what they are, so if you decide to build one of these and you decide to use any of the dozens of knockoff brands instead, I won't judge you for it.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:10 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Nifty idea but coming from camping and back packing world. I see little benefit to this light, a dedicated head band is worlds better or you can get a S2+ convoy for little money, and carrying a few batteries is nothing.

I do love how you used it here.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:32 AM
Tech Champion

The people who designed it supposedly wanted a flashlight that would last for the entire time they were hiking the Appalachian Trail with no need for a spare battery. I agree there are much better flashlights available nowadays, but if this thing can really last that long on a single 9V battery then it easily outlasts any other flashlights I've ever tried, and I own some really premium ones. I can say, at least, that I've had this one for a few years and it's still running on the original battery. Having an actual mechanical switch, as well as a very simple driver circuit that just uses a resistor to control power flow to the LEDs, makes it much more energy-efficient than the software-controlled multi-mode flashlights available nowadays.

But yes, the reason it became a modular running-light for my RCs is because I almost never used it for its original purpose.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Great idea! I'll need to build up a few of these for myself and my boys, especially now that daylight is becoming mighty scarce in the evenings.
fyrstormer likes this.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:39 AM
Tech Champion

For "non-expert" use, I'd recommend using a sheet of Lexan to cover the wires so they don't get torn loose in a rollover.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I was kinda thinking about sticking them on the inside of the body for a bit of protection.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:17 PM
Tech Champion

If it's an option to attach the whole thing inside the body, then yes, that would work.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:11 PM
Tech Lord

Before you know it....

The headlights do work as well

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:16 PM
Tech Champion

Nah. Those lights don't give enough indication of which end of the car is facing towards me, and also they don't appear to be modular. The point of this is to be something I can easily move from one vehicle to another.

Also, why is that engine revving so high when the car is moving so slowly?
Old 11-12-2017, 12:40 AM
Tech Lord

Yes, all is builded into the body. The head and tail lights are made from 1 euro flashlights from the local discount shop, they have 2 reflectors with each one bright LED.

Regarding the speed, I think the darkness and a tiny bit slipping clutch is not giving a right indication
Old 11-12-2017, 07:23 AM
Tech Champion

Ah, if the clutch is slipping, that would explain it. It sounded like it was revving-up way too fast.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Great idea!