HAWAII Pavement Pounders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HAWAII Pavement Pounders

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 09:13 AM
Tech Initiate

One more week to get ready for the championship race. Got tons to do yet. Any word on the test and tune day?

Any opinions on bodies? Seems like different people like different bodies. So should I assume that they all work depending on your driving style and chassis setup? Still want your opinions anyway.

Im2lazy...how did that Protoform wing work for you? Durability?
Old 03-12-2005, 03:04 AM
Tech Master

Yeah, basically any of the newer bodies that are for racing work. I'd say the Caddi looks nice and works well while the Mazda 6 is the standard. The rear wing was actually pretty good and durable. I didn't crash too much, but the previous molded wings would have broken by now. So I have faith that it will stand up for more regular abuse. Last longer than the newer lexan wings....

--------------

I kinda wanted to document my setup changes from the last race, because I could feel most of the changes very well and could tell what worked and what didn't.

I started the day with full diffs. The tires I started with were not in good shape, and I was just getting a feel for the car because I wanted to set a benchmark feel for this track.

So having done some practice, in goes the one-way. I like the steering, so long as I could keep the car going in the right direction. The car was hopping along when I would break and turn and the same time, and I slowly tried to get a rythm for this setup, but the brakes where too inconsistent and the tires were suspect to say the least.

So between the first qualifier, I had switched my rear diff oil from the stock 7,000 to 30,000, and went to my brand new 37s all around. I knew that a lot of the inconsistent rotation my car had in especially high grip, high speed corners was because of the excessively soft rear diff oil. Had I swapped diffs by putting what was originally in the front diff into the rear end (identical differentials are a nice feature for the FW... less mess is always good, I hate silicone fluid), and put in the one-way at the same time, I would have saved some chunked rubber.

So in the first qualifier, the car ran great. Very balanced and smooth so long as I was focused on going forward, but braking was not working quite right and I couldn't figure out how to get out of a couple of jams which cost precious seconds. Also, the front end dug in too quickly and caused the car to be unpredictable at times, like before.

Second qualifier I made sure of my ride height and droop settings and headed out with the same tires. I went with the stock spring setup, because I felt that the long black springs I normally run at all 4 corners of the car was causing the front end to bite too hard and cause this edginess to the car. The stiffer front spring made the front end much more confident and planted. This with a good rear diff setup made for a very confident car that could be driven hard out of every corner, but the corner entry still wasn't balanced.

For the Mains I ended up running the same setup, but with minor adjustments to the rear droop and I figured out that my brake linkage was why using half my brakes wouldn't to squat for my really free-rolling car, but then with that fixed, driving was much more settled and I could focus better. I laid the front shock down hoping that I could get quicker weight transfer to the front end because I had now figured out how to enter corners with a one-way, and with coming out of the corners with a one-way quicker and more consistent than with two diffs I noticed just how much corner speed the FW can hold. It was pretty fun pulling on that trigger. Can't wait till the champs!
Old 03-12-2005, 09:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Now that's what this forum is all about! Thanks go out to Im2lazy for not beint too lazy and doing all this testing and reporting them for us. I wish you all the luck in the world at the Championship and hopefully you'll have a trouble free race. And same goes to all of you that are making it next week.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by RoyU
The on road racing on Maui kind of died out. Offroad. The racers on Maui were the last to race 1/8th.
Leave your car and equipment at home. Enjoy your stay Maui. Don't think of r/c. Enjoy your vacation. Your wife will love you for it.
I can't remember the name of the hobby shop on Maui that was connected to the racing there...oh yeah, its Island Hobbies.
First time to Maui? Or the state?
How about both, never been to Island
Old 03-13-2005, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by HEYALIGNMENTGUY
How about both, never been to Island
We're having our nitro touring champs next weekend, 19th and 20th. 1/10th nitro t/c. We usually have it the weekend before spring break.

1/8th onroad here stopped about the late 80's, $$$$$$. We have offroad and nitro onroad, touring cars, races. There are "outlaw" races that held late at night at various lots around town, "run what you brung".

Enjoy your stay on Maui Then, convince your wife to come here, Honolulu, so next year you can race our championship
Old 03-14-2005, 09:33 AM
Tech Initiate

I hear Butch from Hobbietat will be joining us at the championship in possibly Mod and Super class. There must have been a lot of smack talking going on. Also a few late entries of long lost racers might be there too.

Any opinions on pipes and headers? Brand, type, length...
Old 03-14-2005, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by KPRacer
I hear Butch from Hobbietat will be joining us at the championship in possibly Mod and Super class. There must have been a lot of smack talking going on. Also a few late entries of long lost racers might be there too.

Reynold gave Butch his super nitro for the champs... should be interesting because I've heard some interesting things about his driving talent and Reynold's TGR is going to be hooked up for sure... some excitement in the otherwise dormant class.

As for pipes... OS is strong and will take abuse, RD turbo II is pretty good and the Skyline pipe has been named a few times. I'd look it up in the Main Nitro on-road forum. For a legal pipe, the Mugen would be the best (but $$$).
Old 03-14-2005, 09:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by KPRacer

Hey KP were you the one who bought the RRR on Saturday?

As for pipes, RDLogics Turbo II. The Skyline pipe looks interesting. I thnk 1 or 2 racers may have them this weekend. O.S. is kinda $$$$$$ but the stinger part looks strong
Old 03-15-2005, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I'd like to see how the Skylines are. Good price and should be pretty good. I want to try the $35 STS pipes. Real cheap and supposed to be similar to the Novarossi 52606 and 52607. The Mugen pipe is too much $$$ for my skills and pocket.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Seems like more racers are trickling in for the Championship. That's great that a few are making a come back. Should be fun with all the new old faces out there. The banquet should be fun and relaxing too with all the food, fun, and door prizes! Don't forget, BYOB.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Saw the new FW05RR yesterday. Looks pretty good so curious to see how it runs. He's using swaybars on a rubber car (foam car kit converted to run rubber) and front diff. Anybody tried using swaybars on their rubber car? Maybe using swaybars and softer sprints and lighter oil like real cars might work.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Heading out to Kakaako Park tonight to test out my prototype GT chassis. If it works, I'll post a picture. If it doesn't, back to the drawing board. Trying to make a regular GT run with the sprint conversions so I shortened the wheelbase in hopes that there's more weight transfer to the rear. The sprints are coming out of the turn harder than I can. Hope it works.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by RoyU
We're having our nitro touring champs next weekend, 19th and 20th. 1/10th nitro t/c. We usually have it the weekend before spring break.

1/8th onroad here stopped about the late 80's, $$$$$$. We have offroad and nitro onroad, touring cars, races. There are "outlaw" races that held late at night at various lots around town, "run what you brung".

Enjoy your stay on Maui Then, convince your wife to come here, Honolulu, so next year you can race our championship
I would if there was a 1/8th class, but seems $$$ is a issue, I lost interest in touring cars, its like compareing a Honda to a Ferrari.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

I hear you HEYALIGNMENTGUY. There's nothing to compare to the giddy up of the 1/8th. Once it's up on pipe, your face gets sore because you can't stop from smiling so much.

Kakaako Park was a mild success. The shortened chassis GT was alot better. A little hairy going down the straight but always stayed composed. Gotta re-baseline the suspension again. Charlie was breaking in his small block drag motor but kept breaking his CVD dogbones on his GT Sprint car. Three to be exact while still breaking in. Pulling wheelies all around the place. Gotta hurry up and work on my prototype axles. Cost a little more but should be more durable.

Two more days to the Championships and I haven't touched my cars yet. Gotta work tonight so that leaves Friday night. Guess I'll be setting up things on Saturday. Gonna try the RRR rear hubs on my rubber car. Cheaper than going with the Mugen setup.

Last edited by rskoncepts; 03-17-2005 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Haven't made it to the Navy Exchange yet. Hopefully after the championship race. Should be fun with some returning faces. I hear the "T" lady will be there. When she ran her truck at the park, we used to lift up our feet off the ground. Now I hear she's flying airplanes. So you gotta duck too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.