Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Hobby Stop West Raceway New Tamiya F1 class!! >

Hobby Stop West Raceway New Tamiya F1 class!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hobby Stop West Raceway New Tamiya F1 class!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 09:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
Mark I appreciate you and brad both offering me gear to race with but I'm not really posting on my behalf. I'm speaking up for the guys who wont say anything to anyone and just not show up. I know you both think I'm being a big cry baby but I'm really trying to help everyone out here.
No problem Lon, but you need to be careful because if you some how seed in their minds that they have to buy things that they really don't need that is the thing that will keep them from coming. I know that is not your intention, but sometimes that is how it can be taken.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Woa there brad. We cant even have a discussion on the subject without you threating the all mighty power to cancel everyones fun because I made a post on here ? The point of my post was to clarify if this is all locked in stone or can we alter it some to accomidate the majority of racers in toledo ? if the rules have to be run the way they are set so be it if we can do some tweaking maybe we get a better turnout?
Lon,
Again, the rationale behind using the UF1 rules and format was that we didn't have to invent anything, it is done, well proven, and a departure from the typical race format. Is it locked in stone? Yes and no. It could be modified, but I do not want to for a few reasons 1. It has not been deemed an issue by the other venues. 2. I want to keep it true to UF1, and 3. I want it to be consistent for all 4 rounds.
I am still trying to figure out why you all bought such small batteries in the first place, it doesnt make sense to me, but you have what you have.
As far as ruling with an iron fist, I believe it necessary, because everyone, given the chance will want to do something different, at which point you cant lock anything in, and it becomes a mess.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Ron,
let me know if you need a set
I sure do.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

I again will say I'm glad you have got the ball rolling on the series. I just cant see me having fun cruising around tip toeing to save battery and not traction roll. Thats not my idea of fun but different strokes for different folks. I honestly hope 100 cars show up!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Jeff,
I think we need to make the distinction between un-driveable and not-as-fast. I have not glued my sidewalls, and I do on occasion traction roll, but it is due to being overly aggressive on corner entry. When I let the car roll in and I don't try to throw the car into the corner I have no problems, so I would say that my car is far from un-driveable, maybe not the fastest in the field either, but oh well.
I am sure there is a way to strip the glue off the sidewalls, maybe WD40? or hot water?
Traction rolling can also be minimized by not doping the fronts every round. I cannot speak to the grip levels of the new fronts because I have not run them yet, but even with the harder fronts after the 1st round, any dope on the fronts was too much.
As far as I can tell you will be out of town anyways, so you will miss the race as it is.

My current setup burns 266 MAH per min
I am sure I can come up with ways to make better time.
There is just no way on the current setup 3000-3800 mah would work the lower amount I have put into a pack this year is 1300mah.

Bob T had a brand new set of tires, No dope, Car worked decent a few weeks before on a set of unglued hard tires, he was creaping around the track flipping over every other corner.

If you think any dope on the fronts on the hard tires was to much you really should have tried a set of tires of soft tires and tested them.
To make things fair you really should have ran the new tires this weekend

I dope 90% of the front currently on all rounds
In past weeks I have doped 1/4 the front and still had traction issues flipping

It baffles me beyond reason to wonder why anyone would request softer tires????? Yet alone request a different tire in a spec tire class.
do you watch 50% of the car flipping over every other corner?

I am not coming up with this stuff for me, I would love to be in town that weekend, These for sure are things some people will wonder about I am just the one stating the reasons

As for taking the glue off without ruining the tires not possible WD 40 does pretty much nothing to the glue and will affect the rubber.

Putting the glue on isnt rocket science anyone that would like to know how to do it I can show you

Just thinking off the top of my head who has glued tires
Me
Lon
Ted
Eric
Bob T
Nick T
Addison T
his other brother T
Jon S

Half the current field that I can think of maybe more

People in need of larger batteries
Joe T
Lon
Ted
Lou
Me
maybe eric
anyone running a 4200 pack may need bigger
or they may need a serious detune

For the UF1 series do they run our tires or some other tire??
I think a posting of there rules should have been brought to the track to give people time to get ready for the event.

Maybe a flyer I think should have been passed around this weekend with all the rules

Even a drivers meeting on it.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

I again will say I'm glad you have got the ball rolling on the series. I just cant see me having fun cruising around tip toeing to save battery and not traction roll. Thats not my idea of fun but different strokes for different folks. I honestly hope 100 cars show up!
Dont you think you are exaggerating? Tiptoeing? Really? Im going to bed, something tells me that come the end of February there will be a Renault R25 on the grid for this event, call it a hunch
Old 01-27-2013, 10:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Vector03cobra
My current setup burns 266 MAH per min
I am sure I can come up with ways to make better time.
There is just no way on the current setup 300 mah would work the lower amount I have put into a pack this year is 1300mah.

Bob T had a brand new set of tires, No dope, Car worked decent a few weeks before on a set of unglued hard tires, he was creaping around the track flipping over every other corner.

If you think any dope on the fronts on the hard tires was to much you really should have tried a set of tires of soft tires and tested them.

I dope 90% of the front currently on all rounds
In past weeks I have doped 1/4 the front and still had traction issues flipping

It baffles me beyond reason to wonder why anyone would request softer tires????? Yet alone request a different tire in a spec tire class.
do you watch 50% of the car flipping over every other corner?

I am not coming up with this stuff for me, I would love to be in town that weekend, These for sure are things some people will wonder about I am just the one stating the reasons

As for taking the glue off without ruining the tires not possible WD 40 does pretty much nothing to the glue and will affect the rubber.

Putting the glue on isnt rocket science anyone that would like to know how to do it I can show you

Just thinking off the top of my head who has glued tires
Me
Lon
Ted
Eric
Bob T
Nick T
Addison T
his other brother T
Jon S

Half the current field that I can think of maybe more

People in need of larger batteries
Joe T
Lon
Ted
Lou
Me
maybe eric
anyone running a 4200 pack may need bigger
or they may need a serious detune

For the UF1 series do they run our tires or some other tire??
I think a posting of there rules should have been brought to the track to give people time to get ready for the event.

Maybe a flyer I think should have been passed around this weekend with all the rules

Even a drivers meeting on it.
The softer compound was requested because of the experience at the IIC. When the suggestion was made I was under the impression that we would have a chance to test them first, it did not play out that way obviously. I did not mount up a set because I have sold almost 2 cases(40 sets) of these tires in the last week and a half, and while I have more on the way, I want to make sure that those that are going to run the series have a set to run. The UF1 guys in California run an open tire rule, and most of them are on Pit Shimizu's. But I think that open tires leaves the door open to experimentation and that eventually drives people away.
I am perfectly capable of gluing the sidewalls, I am trying to not have this be the practice because I view it as modifying the tire, its a cop out IMO.
The Cali guys are far from slow, and they are making 15min runs with no problem using 3800's
As far as I know Pat posted the flyer for the race. That flyer has the link to the UF1 site and rules on it. To put all the info on one page would be near impossible. To be honest this all came together late last yearand I will be the first to admit that there are some areas that could have been addressed better, but we will have room for improvement.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Dont you think you are exaggerating? Tiptoeing? Really? Im going to bed, something tells me that come the end of February there will be a Renault R25 on the grid for this event, call it a hunch
Again this isnt really about me. I'm speaking up for the majority of racers at toledo.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:59 AM
Tech Regular

First) Big week for 03Cobra - Congratulations and I hope you have your speech well rehearsed and planned out.

Second) Sorry about the 9 and 10 car mains, but Pat asked what we wanted and no one replied. After waiting for someone else to speak up, I again fell into the trap and gave my 88 cents worth. Since this is by far the most wide open track we have had in the last 3 to 4 years, I thought it was worth a shot. I did look cool to see that many F-1s on the track at the same time.

Third) I look forward to the Midwest Series F-1 race in Feb. It should be a new challenge.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I first want to say thank you to Brad for setting up a large multi-event series dedicated to promote the F1 class; I hope, like Lon mentioned pulls in a 100 cars each round. Our local F1 class already accounts for the largest class in Toledo and it is still slowly growing and I hope running the UF1 series event at Hobby Stop West brings in more weekly racers.

I hope that all of our current crop of Toledo guys make it out so we can flex some Toledo F1 muscle because I think we have some super-fast cars AND great guys. It would shock me if we didn’t bring home 3 or 4 of the top 5 spots due to our experience on the rubber and track.

I plan on attending at least the Toledo round.

A few comments I have are as follows, please note this is just MY OPINION (yes it will be in a random order as I think of them):

This whole gluing or non-gluing of the side wall issue seems like it will become a very big deal when it comes time to start the UF1 races; This was one rule I was not aware of at all. I think it will be an issue of concern due to the history of on-road racers gluing sidewalls on tires forever as a tuning aid.

Was this practice of gluing outlawed at IIC-12?

It sounds like the new Pardus softer tires are more front grip biased and the originals are rear grip heavy. I’m sure with some quality set up time we could figure them out but it would be like starting over from scratch.

Locally I don’t care if someone does or does NOT glue their tires.

I have NOT glued my sidewalls, I am on my first set of tires (3 or 4 races old?). Only Traut to do so was Bob after he recieved the new soft tires.

Using yesterday as an example of speed/times, in my qualifier I ran a 36/6:03ish and during that run I had (1) traction roll. I don’t want that (1) occurrence to be used as a FOR or AGAINST gluing, I knew I could roll at every corner if I choose to, I drove around it, if I avoided it that round MAYBE I could have pulled a 37/6:10 but I couldn’t, I believe everyone else was a 38/6:0-low, that’s 2 whole laps! Now comparing how I drove to that of the A-main; I was lucky enough to get tangled up on the first lap yesterday and was sitting against the board waiting to be marshaled long enough to go from 3rd or 4th to 10th and the only lap or 2 I completed I was pushing so hard I rolled the car into the barrier and cracked a rim, gave up and watched about 5 minutes from the stand. I mentioned this because I got to see how Lon, Eric and Jeff drive their cars and how they each acted through the corners. Cars were stable and had a lot of grip, their cars still got up on edge but looked way more controllable than any other cars out there. They looked like they were having MORE fun than I do too when I’m driving and were faster.

This week I was looking forward to gluing so I could get up ‘on the wheel’ and aggressive instead of tip-toe and hopefully close the gab a little between them and myself. I know I can’t drive like Lon, Jeff, Eric and Ted all the time but I feel like I could give them a run for their money every once and a while if I did that last step (gluing) to improve my car.

So long story short, in my opinion; Let them Glue if they want and still keep the Pardus tire as spec (sorry we don’t have both compounds anymore). It is your series and again I appreciate you caring the banner for the sport. The only thing now keeping me from gluing my current ‘original’ compound tires is whether or not they will be Mid-West UF1 legal.

Also, fantastic A-main between 3 guys who all shared the lead multiple times each!

PS. I will now always check the mains for car counts, I think we need to put more emphasis on speed/time differences from TQ to last car in the A. I don’t know if we could run more than 8 comfortably even with similar times. Yesterday would have been a perfect 6 car A, B and C with 1 bump up.

Last edited by nrtv20; 01-28-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XPHamer
First) Big week for 03Cobra - Congratulations and I hope you have your speech well rehearsed and planned out.

Second) Sorry about the 9 and 10 car mains, but Pat asked what we wanted and no one replied. After waiting for someone else to speak up, I again fell into the trap and gave my 88 cents worth. Since this is by far the most wide open track we have had in the last 3 to 4 years, I thought it was worth a shot. I did look cool to see that many F-1s on the track at the same time.

Third) I look forward to the Midwest Series F-1 race in Feb. It should be a new challenge.
Yes, congrats Jeff!
Old 01-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Since this is already being discussed here, I will put my 2 cents in vs. using the thread on the main board.

IF you do not allow glueing of the tires, you are going to have big problems. The guys who are coming out for fun, and traction roll 10 times each race will not come back. It will be way easier to show how or to glue tires for somebody than it is to have guys out of control on the track. IF 8 or 10 cars are in a heat and 5 are flipping all the time, it will hurt the racing. There has never been a problem with glueing tires in any class of racing I have been a part of. I'm not sure why it is a concern now.

For better racing and a more enjoyable experience, allowing glued sidewalls would be the best idea.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

So after a lot of deliberation, I have decided to allow sidewall gluing for the series. I am not 100% in love with the idea, but I think it is the right thing to do for all of the competitors that are planning on running the series. Also we will have a certain allotment of tires available for those who may only be running 1 race and don't want to invest in a set of tires. We will only lend out a set of tires to an individual for one race weekend, if you show up at another event you will be required to buy a set of tires.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Loaner Tires

So after a lot of deliberation, I have decided to allow sidewall gluing for the series. I am not 100% in love with the idea, but I think it is the right thing to do for all of the competitors that are planning on running the series. Also we will have a certain allotment of tires available for those who may only be running 1 race and don't want to invest in a set of tires. We will only lend out a set of tires to an individual for one race weekend, if you show up at another event you will be required to buy a set of tires.
You are too nice Brad. Most of those guys race $600 cars with $800 engines and go thru a few sets of tires each race weekend!!!

!/8th scale Gas really is the F1 of RC...Whine and Cheese! JK lol
Old 01-28-2013, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by aarcobra
You are too nice Brad. Most of those guys race $600 cars with $800 engines and go thru a few sets of tires each race weekend!!!

!/8th scale Gas really is the F1 of RC...Whine and Cheese! JK lol
Ned,
I am not that nice of a guy, and I definitely wasn't trying to cater to their budget, which at times seems bottomless to me. Its more a quality of racing deal for me. Even though I believe that everyone should adapt to the tires and the track conditions, there will be a wide range of skill levels competing, and allowing this will hopefully let us fulfill the goal of everyone that attends having a good time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.