Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Hobby Stop West Raceway New Tamiya F1 class!! >

Hobby Stop West Raceway New Tamiya F1 class!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hobby Stop West Raceway New Tamiya F1 class!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Yes the UF1 site breaks down all of the rules and format information. I am going to put together a preregistration sheet for those who are interested. Hopefully I can get that together in the next few days.
Originally Posted by nrtv20
Brad, you might want to post further details on the rules for this event at Toledo; there were some questions popping up about the format for the F1 guys who do not know what UF1 is. (I think most didn’t know it was a 15 minute style race with pit stops) Also spoke to Pat about the Sunday Feb 24th race; he mentioned that if you get enough entries pre-registered that it can be a UF1 specific race day as well and not integrate in the regular classes. Just some FYI, hopefully we can get 30-40 cars!
Originally Posted by aarcobra
This should be a good place to start...

http://uf1rc.com/
Old 01-22-2013, 06:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 129 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Yes the UF1 site breaks down all of the rules and format information. I am going to put together a preregistration sheet for those who are interested. Hopefully I can get that together in the next few days.

Series looks like fun. Will be tough for me to complete the series with TCS, family vacations and work already scheduled. Curious how a 190mm F1 car competes with the narrow 180mm Tamiya cars on the Pardus tires. Should be good to watch.

Erik
Old 01-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

So here are a few concerns that have come up today after learning a little more about midwest series.
1) the 15min race length is completely different from what all the toledo guys are geared up for.
2) we do have a lot of guys racing on a budget so having to buy atleast one battery and a set of tires plus entry fee makes this kinda exspensive for most of us.
3) tires.... it looks like the newest version of the pardus tyres are causing even more traction roll issues and then I overheard that gluing the sidewall of tires would be cause for DQ. This is not a major issue when we are all on a level playing field but the way the rules are at this time if you want to win you are going to need a 190mm car.

So to recap if I want to show up and be competitive I need to buy a new set of the pardus tires a 190 mm wide car a battery and a body. This just isnt realistic for most of us. Now I can show up hangout which is most likely what I'll be doing.

I'm glad you went ahead and got the ball rolling on this series idea but I fear most of us in toledo just are not geared up for this type of racing
Old 01-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
So here are a few concerns that have come up today after learning a little more about midwest series.
1) the 15min race length is completely different from what all the toledo guys are geared up for.
2) we do have a lot of guys racing on a budget so having to buy atleast one battery and a set of tires plus entry fee makes this kinda exspensive for most of us.
3) tires.... it looks like the newest version of the pardus tyres are causing even more traction roll issues and then I overheard that gluing the sidewall of tires would be cause for DQ. This is not a major issue when we are all on a level playing field but the way the rules are at this time if you want to win you are going to need a 190mm car.

So to recap if I want to show up and be competitive I need to buy a new set of the pardus tires a 190 mm wide car a battery and a body. This just isnt realistic for most of us. Now I can show up hangout which is most likely what I'll be doing.

I'm glad you went ahead and got the ball rolling on this series idea but I fear most of us in toledo just are not geared up for this type of racing
So should we go ahead and cancel the Toledo round? If no one is going to show up, no point in having a race.
I told you that the tires that you have will be fine, you bought them from me, I will let it be good.
The 190mm rule is there to allow for those that want to bring out their FGX's and run, it has not been proven as a must have.
The ban on gluing the sidewalls is to stop it from turning into a contest of who figures out the best way to use glue.
As far as batteries I saw a handful of packs on your bench that will fit your car and probably make time, no one is telling you to go out and buy a new battery.
I would have thought that all the gas guys in the group would jump at the chance to run for more than 6 minutes, you are all at an advantage because you run long races all year long.
Let me know if you guys want to cancel it, I am sure we can find another track to take it to.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Uf1 Toledo guys

Hey there, lets not get on here and discourage people from running the Toledo leg, we had about 18 guys running F1 this Sunday and most of them have cars and equipment that will compete just fine. I also have an fgx and I can tell you that the slight difference in the width is not an advantage, and from what I say today at the race Lon, you will have no problem competing your car is one of the fastest out there, and I find it hard to believe that 20 bucks for new set of tires is going to break you, and if you need a battery I will be more than happy to lend you one. These are not reasons to say that most of the Toledo guys will not run.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

So should we go ahead and cancel the Toledo round? If no one is going to show up, no point in having a race.
I told you that the tires that you have will be fine, you bought them from me, I will let it be good.
The 190mm rule is there to allow for those that want to bring out their FGX's and run, it has not been proven as a must have.
The ban on gluing the sidewalls is to stop it from turning into a contest of who figures out the best way to use glue.
As far as batteries I saw a handful of packs on your bench that will fit your car and probably make time, no one is telling you to go out and buy a new battery.
I would have thought that all the gas guys in the group would jump at the chance to run for more than 6 minutes, you are all at an advantage because you run long races all year long.
Let me know if you guys want to cancel it, I am sure we can find another track to take it to.
First let me say this series is a great idea, and I know it can be a lot of work to put anything together like this.

When it comes to the race length I would need at the very least a 4200 MAH battery and really more like a 5000 mah pack to make a 15 min race something none of the Toledo people have I currently race with a 3000 mah pack and even after 6 mins its pretty flat

so I along with the others would have to buy a battery

Tires you said because we got our tires from you we are ok. BUT all of the top cars have glued tires I have 2 sets and they are both glues, glued them for Toledo, glued them for the Gate.

Even on the hard tires the first sets that had been sold the car is pretty un-drive able for without glueing.

So my glued tires are no good

Now I have to buy more, but wait only the new soft ones are out now and I cannot glue them, that creates a problem for one there going to make your car fly off the track without glue, and if someone has a set of the hard tires and some how gets there car to work decent without glue now they have hard tires and I have soft tires, not very "Spec" like

The tire change could not have come at a worse time.

Today bob truat(spelling) had a set of new tires before I got a chance to advice him on what to do with them His car was FLYING of the track like a Olympic poll vault

The only way his car was even remotely able to get around the track was to glue those tires.

anyways 2 huge problems

I know out in cali they do these long races , I don't have a issue with the race length because its long we race gas cars for up to a hour, its really the long race doesn't change the outcome it may have been better to have still multi mains just say normal 6 mins race.

Lots of things could have been considered
they don't all have to be my ideas or any one persons

Lots of things to think about.
Not for me but the rest of the group that can make it to any of the races
Old 01-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Toledo Guys, I would really like to get up there and mix it up with you guys. There is a lot I need to learn about racing these cars. When is next good day for F1 racing at your track? Also, is there a spec tire for racing there?

Thanks
Old 01-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mrod
Hey there, lets not get on here and discourage people from running the Toledo leg, we had about 18 guys running F1 this Sunday and most of them have cars and equipment that will compete just fine. I also have an fgx and I can tell you that the slight difference in the width is not an advantage, and from what I say today at the race Lon, you will have no problem competing your car is one of the fastest out there, and I find it hard to believe that 20 bucks for new set of tires is going to break you, and if you need a battery I will be more than happy to lend you one. These are not reasons to say that most of the Toledo guys will not run.
No it was great having people out there 18 cars was awesome.

I wish I would have heard them ask to run 3 mains or 2 mains

2 is nuts with the speed difference, but we got it done. 3 would have been better.

Still overall good racing

Problem is mark only new soft tires are left, if its unusable and cannot be glued and even after its glued its still not usable then what?

What about the guy that has a set of hard tires not glued?? all mine are glued.

That's a rather large issue

I am looking forward to our Racing at Toledo, Cannot wait for us to break 20 cars.

Also the overall number of cars on the track isn't the big issue its when for example when you have 9 cars and 4 of those cars can lap the last 2 cars in the race 5 times when you have 4-5 cars doing that to the other 2-3 cars at the back that 5 times turns into 6 times.

Not good for both racers guys at the back have cars flying up on them before they even know it and you end up with cars flying threw the air not fun.

Think of real F1 107% rule same kinda reasons.

looking at the 18 cars we had and how fast each group was it was pretty lucky the main could have been split pretty well 6, 6, 6 about where the speed break falls

just some info for us all to think about
Old 01-27-2013, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Vector03cobra
First let me say this series is a great idea, and I know it can be a lot of work to put anything together like this.

When it comes to the race length I would need at the very least a 4200 MAH battery and really more like a 5000 mah pack to make a 15 min race something none of the Toledo people have I currently race with a 3000 mah pack and even after 6 mins its pretty flat

so I along with the others would have to buy a battery

Tires you said because we got our tires from you we are ok. BUT all of the top cars have glued tires I have 2 sets and they are both glues, glued them for Toledo, glued them for the Gate.

Even on the hard tires the first sets that had been sold the car is pretty un-drive able for without glueing.

So my glued tires are no good

Now I have to buy more, but wait only the new soft ones are out now and I cannot glue them, that creates a problem for one there going to make your car fly off the track without glue, and if someone has a set of the hard tires and some how gets there car to work decent without glue now they have hard tires and I have soft tires, not very "Spec" like

The tire change could not have come at a worse time.

Today bob truat(spelling) had a set of new tires before I got a chance to advice him on what to do with them His car was FLYING of the track like a Olympic poll vault

The only way his car was even remotely able to get around the track was to glue those tires.

anyways 2 huge problems

I know out in cali they do these long races , I don't have a issue with the race length because its long we race gas cars for up to a hour, its really the long race doesn't change the outcome it may have been better to have still multi mains just say normal 6 mins race.

Lots of things could have been considered
they don't all have to be my ideas or any one persons

Lots of things to think about.
Not for me but the rest of the group that can make it to any of the races
Jeff,
All valid points.
I agree that the compound change is not working in the favor of a level playing field, but I asked for a change, just didn't think it would happen this quick, and I thought we would get sample sets to test before a commitment was made.
I wanted to have everyone run the series on new tires, but the lack of experience with them at the other venues prompted me to change that decision and allow them time to figure them out.
The idea of running under the UF1 format was fairly simple, it is already established and proven, and we wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel. It would take six months to sort through all the different ideas and opinions and compile them into something that would work, and I didn't have six months to put this together, I needed turnkey. They just moved to 15 minute mains in California, and from what I have been told, a 3800 shorty pack will make time with juice to spare. I am not sure what you guys are gearing your cars at, but that might be something to look at.
I think we need to make the distinction between un-driveable and not-as-fast. I have not glued my sidewalls, and I do on occasion traction roll, but it is due to being overly aggressive on corner entry. When I let the car roll in and I don't try to throw the car into the corner I have no problems, so I would say that my car is far from un-driveable, maybe not the fastest in the field either, but oh well.
I am sure there is a way to strip the glue off the sidewalls, maybe WD40? or hot water?
Traction rolling can also be minimized by not doping the fronts every round. I cannot speak to the grip levels of the new fronts because I have not run them yet, but even with the harder fronts after the 1st round, any dope on the fronts was too much.
As far as I can tell you will be out of town anyways, so you will miss the race as it is.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:30 PM
Tech Elite

2 is nuts with the speed difference, but we got it done. 3 would have been better.

Problem is mark only new soft tires are left, if its unusable and cannot be glued and even after its glued its still not usable then what?

I am looking forward to our Racing at Toledo, Cannot wait for us to break 20 cars.

Also the overall number of cars on the track isn't the big issue its when for example when you have 9 cars and 4 of those cars can lap the last 2 cars in the race 5 times when you have 4-5 cars doing that to the other 2-3 cars at the back that 5 times turns into 6 times.

Not good for both racers guys at the back have cars flying up on them before they even know it and you end up with cars flying threw the air not fun.

looking at the 18 cars we had and how fast each group was it was pretty lucky the main could have been split pretty well 6, 6, 6 about where the speed break falls

Jeff, under the UF1 format you have 3 minutes to post 3 fast laps, they dont have to be consecutive, but we will have the scoring system set up to average a drivers 3 fastest laps from the 3 minute qualifier. This average will seed the mains, so drivers with similar speeds will be grouped together. You have to play a bit of strategy with this format, it will not be an all out sprint race and playing traffic will determine how well you qualify.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey Jeff I think that a 3000 to 3800 shorty pack or regular size should be o.k for 15 min you just will have to change your gearing and strategize how you drive, just like 1/12th scale use to be back in the day, if you weren't careful you would dump the same thing here, I think it will make it quite interesting.As far as the gluing of tires, I understand your feelings on it, but it is kind of like the doping rule in gas these days, some tracks and events allow it and others don't, you just have to work on set up, I ran the new tires today without gluing them and I will say that the fronts had a lot of grip and so did the rears but I think you will have to adjust your driving style and set up to compensate, if everyone is playing by the same rules then everyone will be on the same page. I am not saying that one is right and one is wrong I truly don't know how I feel about that one, but I will abide by what ever the rule is for the series.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BigRon
Toledo Guys, I would really like to get up there and mix it up with you guys. There is a lot I need to learn about racing these cars. When is next good day for F1 racing at your track? Also, is there a spec tire for racing there?

Thanks
Ron,
There is usually someone running F1 every week. Today was a points race, the next points race also coincides with the second round of the UF1 Midwest series as well. We are running the Pardus P ONE tires as the spec tire, let me know if you need a set
Old 01-27-2013, 09:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Woa there brad. We cant even have a discussion on the subject without you threating the all mighty power to cancel everyones fun because I made a post on here ? The point of my post was to clarify if this is all locked in stone or can we alter it some to accomidate the majority of racers in toledo ? if the rules have to be run the way they are set so be it if we can do some tweaking maybe we get a better turnout?
Old 01-27-2013, 09:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrod
Mark I appreciate you and brad both offering me gear to race with but I'm not really posting on my behalf. I'm speaking up for the guys who wont say anything to anyone and just not show up. I know you both think I'm being a big cry baby but I'm really trying to help everyone out here.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BigRon

Thanks
2 weeks
Feb 10th

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.