Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2004 ROAR Paved On-Road Nats - Portland, OR

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 09:04 AM
Tech Addict

Default Nats come to the Northwest

Rose City Scale Racing has won the right to host the 2004 ROAR paved on-road nationals. The race will be scheduled in mid July. We are already working hard on on this event and expect to show case pacific northwest RC talent. Look for the flyer and entry form after the first of the year.
Larry
Old 11-03-2003, 11:49 AM
PW
Tech Elite

Nitro or Electric?
Old 11-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Tech Addict

electric
Old 11-03-2003, 05:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Larry, I grew up in the Northwest and still have family there. It would be real easy for me to make the trip from Kansas since there would be no hotel bill for this race. Keep us updated when you get the exact dates of this race.

If any of my old racin buddies are still around the Great Northwest tell them Ken Peterson says hi from Kansas. Ummmmm... people like Wes Zook, Ernie Beasley, Craig Thornburgh, Craig Fox, Chris White, Tracy Hall, Ron Smith, Kelly Lunsford just to name a few.

Also, do you guys have a website for the track that is holding this event, if so I'd love to check it out.

racer-oZ
(Ken Peterson)
Old 11-03-2003, 07:11 PM
Tech Addict

www.rc-cars.com
Web site is due for an update and doesn't include nats info yet. Some of your old buddies are around Wes,Craig, ron smith and ernie to name a few. Great if you can join us, alot of the old timers are coming out of the woodwork offering to pitch in and help out.
Larry
Old 11-03-2003, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Any word on the carpet on road nationals????
Old 11-03-2003, 07:41 PM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The pictures I see on the website are of a parking lot track. Is this what the race is going to be held on? If so, are there going to be pit tables and coverings provided? Looking forward to more info.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:43 PM
Tech Adept

Any pics of the track you will be hosting the race on?? The pics on the website show your outdoor nitro season??
Old 11-03-2003, 08:23 PM
Tech Addict

we are meeting with a host hotel that has ample surface for the track. We thought that having the race at the hotel would be tremendously convienient for out of town racers. By eliminating the need to rent a car we hope to make this event affordable to more racers. Plus think of being able to walk back to your room and relax between heats. The hotel has an indoor pool, restaurant and night club for those of you of age. We will also provide a large tent with tables and power for those who wish to reserve space. Rose City Scale Racing(RCSR) Has an excellent drivers stand 28ft long and 7 ft high. We have the latest AMB system that supports personal transponders. RCSR is a club with many experienced racers most of whom will not be competing but working to make this race a success. Tech will be consistent and thorough. Track size will be determined by Roar guidelines for track width and lap time. All of us at Rose City Scale Racing are working hard already and plan on putting on a first class race worthy of Nationals status.
Larry Fellows

p.s. July in Portland is pretty sweet
Old 11-03-2003, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Keep us updated on developments. The idea of having it at the hotel is great. Please ensure a large portion of rooms is blocked off for the event.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:41 PM
Tech Master

Wow! I saw a picture of Steve Reece on the website! I haven't talked to him for ages. It's like a trip down memory lane. lol Me and another guy from Kansas are tenatively making plans to be at this race. Looking forward to seeing some old friends.

racer-oZ
Old 11-03-2003, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

I remember the old R/C club meetings we held at Sunshine Pizza, Wes Zook used to force feed me dark beer till I had to have someone drive me home!

racer-oZ
Old 11-03-2003, 08:50 PM
Tech Adept

When I frist read your reply I thought a parking lot Nationals and that will be the frist thought of many racers weather they will adimt it or not. No matter how didacted(sp) you say that you and your crew are there will still be some racers who will not come to this race because it's in a parking lot. I say their lose. People have been advoacting that nationals be held in a more public place, instead of a back road hidden from view stuck in a wearhouse in an industrial complex indoor track. Well heres the chance, you can't get anymore public than a hotel parking lot, even though a shopping mall parking lot would get you more foot traffic. Your club has it's work cut out for it, I hope you get a good turn out.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:58 PM

COOL!!!!! Finally an Onroad Nats that's nearby. I agree that a parking lot track may not be as appealing to some racers as a prepared surface like Tamiya America (which is awesome by the way, for those who haven't been there) but parking lot races can be great, it really depends on the size of the track, the quality of the surface, who is running it, and how many people show up.

Could anyone who works/races at this track describe its size, surface.... etc? Is there a hobby shop nearby?
Old 11-03-2003, 10:21 PM
Tech Addict

I hope that no one decides to sit out this event just because it is not a fixed facility. We don't have the luxury of a permanent track here in portland. The suface is smooth and if we've learned anything over the years it's how to prep a track for racing. The track will be set up for 8 days. The Saturday before the nats thru sundays finals. Plenty of time to get the traction just right, surely long enough to get a nice groove for controlled practice.
Thanks for your interest guys I'm suprised how many responses already.
Oh, yes questions
Track size; ROAR has a lap time standard which would dictate size. We'll do some testing and then adjust the track to meet those specs.
Hobby shop; don't really have one nearby but I will be contacting area shops to see if they want to do some on-site sales. But I sure wouldn't hang my hat on them having everything. There are shops in the area of course but they are quite a drive. But it could save your weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.