Wiki Posts
Search

The Coliseum at HobbyTown USA

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default new to area and looking to join in

I'm new to the area and am looking to get into some racing this winter. I'm open to any class and value a well run venu and quality racers more than anything.

I found the Coliseum just surfing rctech and would like to know how it compares to my other options in the area, say THE TRACK. I'm located in DC and commute along I-95N to Aberdeen, but I didn't see anything along that route.

It looks like RCGT is popular and Senior Spec at the Coliseum is intersting.

Any ideas or feedback is greatly appreciated.

thanks
RWS
Old 11-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The "C" is a very nice place to run. A good variety of very fast TC racers to challenge you if your skill is at that level. There are also plenty of regular racers trying to improve [that would be me, for instance]. Everyone is very helpful and friendly.

The races are well run and the track surface is great. It is very smooth [I have heard it described as tennis court grade asphalt] with good grip. The lap-count computer is hooked into a projector to show the race progress, in addition to the announcer, to help spectators enjoy the racing as much as the racers.

Touring Cars usually have a couple of classes. There is also the Senior Spec and F1. If you are into SCT, those run on Thursdays with a plan in progress to move them to Tuesdays so the track can stay setup for SCT the whole evening. I don't remember seeing an RCGT class in the 5-6 months that I have been running. IF at least three cars show up for a class, they get to run.

There is also Sunday racing with Oval offered once or twice a month.

If you are commuting from DC up I95 to Aberdeen, the "C" may be a little out of your way for week nights. I think it is about an hour drive from DC to Frederick, MD where the "C" is located.

Another possibility is The Track in Gaithersburg, MD. It is about a half hour closer to DC than Frederick. They have an indoor asphalt track, a little bumpier than the "C", and what sounds like a good racing crowd. I have not raced there so I can't really say more. There is a forum here on RCTech for The Track if you want more info.

Last edited by bencason; 11-07-2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: typos fixed
Old 11-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the helpful reply. Which on road class is the most popular at the moment? I'll try to make it up there on a Saturday to check it out myself.

I stopped by THE TRACK today to watch the off-road race. They had a good turn out, but the short launching type jumps are really hard on the trucks. I'm use to much less agressive obstacles that don't kill off all the momentum so there is some flow. I actually caught a few trucks in midair that were flying towards the pits.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Larry, got your pm and replied.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

Most popular class on saturdays is Spec touring then senior spec and open 17.5 touring.

On Thursdays , SCT and Spec touring.

The race surface is baby smooth , so the SCT class has mild jumps and obstacles. So not to damage the asphalt.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by runs_wscissors
Thanks for the helpful reply. Which on road class is the most popular at the moment? I'll try to make it up there on a Saturday to check it out myself.

I stopped by THE TRACK today to watch the off-road race. They had a good turn out, but the short launching type jumps are really hard on the trucks. I'm use to much less agressive obstacles that don't kill off all the momentum so there is some flow. I actually caught a few trucks in midair that were flying towards the pits.
Thats about the only class you can run at the Track is offroad. The Track is to bumpy to run any touring car class. Plus i dont really like the crowd at mimi's anyways or how you have to wait to find parts because everything is disorganized there.

I like the C alot is not to far of a drive 1hour from door to door from pasadena. The track is awesome, and everyone is super friendly and always willing to help out the fellow racer. I dont know how good your driving skills are. If your not that great, i would suggest Senior spec to help sharpen your driving skills and get the feeling for the track. Or if your decent I would start in TC spec. That class is awesome and fun
Old 11-08-2010, 04:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Hey, don't be a hater. Racers should support everyone they can, or there won't be anyone.

See you guys Thursday
Old 11-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Tech Adept

Not to over comlicate things, but just starting out in Senior Spec. could I down grade the new R kit to meet the SS rules? What else would I have to remove besides the adjustable upper arms? I went the hop-up route before with Tamiya and the cost of those items listed in the rules would be an additional $96.50 over a base kit.

I'm good either way, I was just curious as the R kit is just about to be released.

Tamiya TT-01R Type-E spec below.
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58450

EX1. Specially included is Item 53674 Adjustable Upper Arm Set (TT01, TGS) (includes blue anodized aluminum turnbuckle shafts) *Exclusive parts for TT-01R Type-E Chassis.
EX2. Specially included are the joints from Item 54026 TT-01 Aluminum Propeller Joint & Shaft Set and Item 53783 TB Evolution IV Lightweight Aluminum Propellar Shaft. *Exclusive parts for TT-01R Type-E Chassis.
1. Item 50746 CVA Super Mini Shock Unit Set
2. Item 50823 Glow Engine R/C TG10 Wheel Axle (2pcs.)
3. Item 50883 39mm Drive Shaft Set
4. Item 51023 Medium-Narrow Racing Radial Tires
5. Item 53471 Medium-Narrow 5-Spoke Wheels (Offset 0)
6. Item 53673 Toe-in Rear Upright (TT01, TGS)
7. Item 53642 5mm Aluminum Ball Connector (Blue)
8. Item 53665 TT-01 Spur Gear Set (55T/58T)
9. Item 53983 Lightly-Tuned Motor (28T)
10. Item 54025 TT-01 TYPE-E Ball Bearing Set
Old 11-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Not to over comlicate things, but just starting out in Senior Spec. could I down grade the new R kit to meet the SS rules? What else would I have to remove besides the adjustable upper arms? I went the hop-up route before with Tamiya and the cost of those items listed in the rules would be an additional $96.50 over a base kit.

I'm good either way, I was just curious as the R kit is just about to be released.

EX1. Specially included is Item 53674 Adjustable Upper Arm Set (TT01, TGS) (includes blue anodized aluminum turnbuckle shafts) *Exclusive parts for TT-01R Type-E Chassis.
EX2. Specially included are the joints from Item 54026 TT-01 Aluminum Propeller Joint & Shaft Set and Item 53783 TB Evolution IV Lightweight Aluminum Propellar Shaft. *Exclusive parts for TT-01R Type-E Chassis.

I believe the only thing you cant run is the adjustable upper arms from that kit. And the gearing is fixed along with tires and handout motors. You will have to ask Ray K or larry Keys for the new SS rule sheet. But i think thats all you will need to take out of the kit is the adjustable arms
Old 11-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

As The Godfather of Senior Spec, my opinion is that the best option is to buy a plain old TT01 or TT01E, a set of bearings & a set of Mini length plastic shocks and go racing. That chassis is easily overpowered (we did it with full race Red Dots), so putting a lot of money into hopups will get you nowhere. If/when you are ready to go faster, upgrade to Touring Spec and buy a second hand car, BL motor/ESC, etc. Just don't buy a TT01 thinking it will be a solid platform for more power.

Also, you would be unable to run toe-in blocks, the metal dogbones and output shafts, the tires and wheels, and the 28 turn motor in SS.

Remember: the fastest individual laps have all been set with a basic kit.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I agree with Doc on this. IMO, oil filled shocks (I prefer threaded), bearings, and alloy drive shaft are the best place to spend your upgrade money. After that, the alloy wheel hubs are nice.

You don't have to buy the Tamiya bearings. A set of the economy bearings from Boca (http://www.bocabearings.com/) are a great choice and shipping is fast. Should be less than $20 with shipping. Hobbytown USA may have inexpensive bearings.

For shocks, I have a new set of the Tamiya CVA Super Mini shocks that I'll let you have for $15. I even have a used alloy drive shaft.

BTW, the TT01-R Type E chassis has been available since August.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

hey guys, ill be out on thursday with the 17.5 open touring car if anybody wants to run a class
Old 11-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

I think most was covered,but this is what is NOT allowed:

53674 Adjustable Upper Arm Set
50883 39mm Drive Shaft Set
51023 Medium-Narrow Racing Radial Tires
53471 Medium-Narrow 5-Spoke Wheels (Offset 0)
53673 Toe-in Rear Upright (TT01, TGS)
53642 5mm Aluminum Ball Connector (Blue)
53665 TT-01 Spur Gear Set (55T/58T)
53983 Lightly-Tuned Motor (28T)
Old 11-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default The Slam at The Track

Guys and Gals - I want to thank all the 'C' regulars who made it to The Track for Mimi's The Track first Off-Road Slam race. The Racers, the Spectators, and THE SHOWMAN (you know, the guy who shows up and practices, PRACTICES! at a big race!!!).

It was very fun and challenging event - those who missed it should make the next one - even if only to see the action. Check out 'The Track' thread to see pictures.

I am looking forward to the TRF Race, and the Charity Race at the 'C'. See y'all Thursday.

EDIT: Oh BTW I am looking forward to Buggy/SCT Tuesdays... My Tamiya TRF 201 won 2nd at The Slam. Would have taken third if Kash$ would not have DNF... GO BLUE!!

Double Edit: Kash$ and Mandy - special thanks for coming out Saturday for the fun and helping design, set up, and test the layout. Your input was invaluable in ensuring that the track was challenging and fun, and that everyone could get around it and not break their shizzz. Top notch.

Last edited by SMcD; 11-08-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (98%+)

Originally Posted by SMcD
Guys and Gals - I want to thank all the 'C' regulars who made it to The Track for Mimi's The Track first Off-Road Slam race. The Racers, the Spectators, and THE SHOWMAN (you know, the guy who shows up and practices, PRACTICES! at a big race!!!).

It was very fun and challenging event - those who missed it should make the next one - even if only to see the action. Check out 'The Track' thread to see pictures.
sunday
I am looking forward to the TRF Race, and the Charity Race at the 'C'. See y'all Thursday.

EDIT: Oh BTW I am looking forward to Buggy/SCT Tuesdays... My Tamiya TRF 201 won 2nd at The Slam. Would have taken third if Kash$ would not have DNF... GO BLUE!!

Double Edit: Kash$ and Mandy - special thanks for coming out Saturday for the fun and helping design, set up, and test the layout. Your input was invaluable in ensuring that the track was challenging and fun, and that everyone could get around it and not break their shizzz. Top notch.
My xxx will be in this week so buggy is on Shawn ! I think the buggy class will be huge. Gotta keep E,J and C coming back to M's for some offroad.. I think they liked it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.