The Coliseum at HobbyTown USA

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 07:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dg8one
WHAT!!! $45
ill take 3 for $10each ship
Nelly, I'm sure Doc isn't getting rich selling these motors. Red Dot motors are well respected in the Tamiya community, and Doc sells these motors Worldwide. I think that his asking price is fair and he should receive compensation for his skill.

I've seen some of the bodies that you airbrush. You've got a skill that I don't have. Do you paint bodies for free?
Old 12-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

Originally Posted by Geppetto
Nelly, I'm sure Doc isn't getting rich selling these motors. Red Dot motors are well respected in the Tamiya community, and Doc sells these motors Worldwide. I think that his asking price is fair and he should receive compensation for his skill.

I've seen some of the bodies that you airbrush. You've got a skill that I don't have. Do you paint bodies for free?
For free , that an insult !!! I think $10 would be fair !!
Old 12-09-2011, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhhack
I'm really hoping to get into racing this winter, and excited to race in the TCS race that the C.

Spent some time in the TCS thread and reviewing the new 2012 rules.

Do you think that Jan till the TCS race many will want to run the F1 and mini cooper with the new brushless rules? Both in preparation for the TCS and as a noob, somehow i feel much more comfortable throwing in a brushless and not having to worry about the tuning and maintenance of brushed silver cans (tuned or normal)

Not trying to stir anything up, just thinking through the best way to spend my budget, and my time learning, as a complete noob this winter season.

thanks guys
I plan on running Mini Copper GT with 17.5 brushless. In the past, I have been helped greatly by Team Red Dot, so I know that they know what they are doing. My situation is this - I have a full race-tuned Red Dot that I use in Mini Copper Open classes that are run occasionally locally, and it's awesome. For TCS, I have two legal motors that Team Red Dot has gone over - one at over 17K (TCS testing procedures) that could be made to work with more break in, great setup, and even better driving; and, another at somewhere over 16K that is just hopeless. Even with perfect motor work, eventually both may exceed limits in the future (get a other motor and start over).

I have two very nice hardly used 17.5 Ballistics that have been sitting for quite some time looking for something to do. This gives me the perfect opportunity to use them - finally - again. Maintenance will be zero with no heat problems. No need to soldier re-soldier etc. Install, forget, race.

Locally, I think many will stick with silver can because there is SO much expertise with these motors (a good thing). I hope that, locally, there will be ENOUGH support for Mini GT and the other new brushless classes so that we have a healthy field in all the available classes. Another driver will be which classes are the Japan trip classes. We will wait and see.

Good news for East Coast, DC, Balto people is that another local venue will have the second TCS race later in the year. More racing for East Coast fast guys in TCS!!
Old 12-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

The transition to BL has already begun for F1 at The Coliseum.

Club (non TCS) F1 rules at the 'C'

- Open F1 chassis (i.e. F104, F103, F-109, FGX, etc)
- Open F1 rubber tires (i.e. Tamiya, Shimizu, RIDE, etc)
- No width or wheelbase restriction
- No weight minimum
- 21.5 BL or Silver Can (no RPM limit)
- BL ESC is 'blinky' mode only (non ramping)
- LiPO 2 cell or NiMH (no mAh minimum)
Old 12-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SMcD
I plan on running Mini Copper GT with 17.5 brushless. In the past, I have been helped greatly by Team Red Dot, so I know that they know what they are doing. My situation is this - I have a full race-tuned Red Dot that I use in Mini Copper Open classes that are run occasionally locally, and it's awesome. For TCS, I have two legal motors that Team Red Dot has gone over - one at over 17K (TCS testing procedures) that could be made to work with more break in, great setup, and even better driving; and, another at somewhere over 16K that is just hopeless. Even with perfect motor work, eventually both may exceed limits in the future (get a other motor and start over).

I have two very nice hardly used 17.5 Ballistics that have been sitting for quite some time looking for something to do. This gives me the perfect opportunity to use them - finally - again. Maintenance will be zero with no heat problems. No need to soldier re-soldier etc. Install, forget, race.

Locally, I think many will stick with silver can because there is SO much expertise with these motors (a good thing). I hope that, locally, there will be ENOUGH support for Mini GT and the other new brushless classes so that we have a healthy field in all the available classes. Another driver will be which classes are the Japan trip classes. We will wait and see.

Good news for East Coast, DC, Balto people is that another local venue will have the second TCS race later in the year. More racing for East Coast fast guys in TCS!!

Hey Sean, you may recall the silver can motors were "introduced" at the "C" by Doc and Ray in the Senior Spec class. The idea was to keep the cost of racing as low as possible for the new racer (hence, the handout motor and TT01 chassis limitation).

GT Spec keeps the same formula, but rather than limiting racers and new racers to the TT01, it was opened up to any chassis. However, the idea is the same... close cost controlled racing for the beginner to intermediate driver.

I would like to see a low cost brushless system implemented in this class, but the cost is still prohibitive for some.

I don't think that the racers this class was intended for have a problem with the silver can handout motors.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

rccardr - Doc i did not know that's you. i apologize sir

geppetto - i do paint for free to my boys
Old 12-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Hi Larry. Yes I know all of that. GT Spec is a great class for those it was intended and those that want to race in it.

My post and the other that I quoted were talking about TCS and TCS classes some of which are migrating to a brushless format. I was not commenting on GT Spec at the C which is a great program.

If we are talking about straight-up cheap reliable no-boost brushless system, my vote would be for Hobbywing 35amp ESC with 30t motor combo (at least in Mini) for around $80 shipped. The same system the Aussies spec nationwide in their Tamiya mini copper class.

But, again, my original post was about TCS.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

All GT drivers get ready for a battle our Civic is ready to burn out tires at the Coliseum
Here you go Battle of the Imports at MIR
1st place
Driver; Nelly Cruz
Chief Mechanic; Frank B
Asst.Mechanic ; Jojo
Computer Tech; Archie B

Old 12-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ray k
For free , that an insult !!! I think $10 would be fair !!
i will paint your wing for that price.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Tech Master

Old 12-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I believe GT Spec was created for folks that were graduating from the Senior Spec class. This is supported by the decision to allow the higher end TC chassis which offers up more tuning and setup options. The 'true' beginner will get lost in the myriad of setup changes that are required for a podium finish. The gap between someone that knows how to setup their cars to maximize corner speed and suit their driving style vs. the rookie still learning how to drive will be huge in this class.

A great example of this is the GT Spec race from the recent Black Friday race. Mark T setup Cody's car either before the 3rd qualifier or the main. Cody went from struggling all night in the qualifiers to leading and lapping the field in the main before crashing out with a minute or two left in the race.

I think the problem here is that some folks are attributing faster lap times to 'hot' motors of non-compliant FDRs. We haven't been teching so I'm not stating that it's not. However, if we are to entertain this conspiracy we should also be open accepting that better setup and driving cleaner lines can also be a factor.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Toy hondas are cool and fun real hondas are slow and a joke
Honda = wrong way drive fail
Old 12-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hondas can't carry the front wheels almost to the 330" mark

Old 12-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Working a a second gen RX7 body for my spec gt
Old 12-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JUGGIN
Toy hondas are cool and fun real hondas are slow and a joke
Honda = wrong way drive fail

Eh, my integra-powered Crx was pretty quick. But I got tired of all the street racing stuff years ago. Alright though Gt is on, I get a motor to run that I didn't have to pay for? Sounds fine by me .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.