Search
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By staiguy

Indoor off road carpet racing question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 01:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Indoor off road carpet racing question

Hi community thank you all for having me. I just joined this amazing community. I used to race stadium trucks on indoor dirt off road courses but now I'm getting into buggy racing. My local track is an indoor off road carpet track. I have a B6.4 roller that needs electronics. My local track races mostly 2wd stock spec buggies. So I'm going to start out in thr 17.5 rookie class. The car regulations at my track state:
2wd 17.5 Buggy – Any ROAR Approved 17.5 turn motor and electronic speed control with no timing or ramping programed. This is evident from the ESC’s LED blinking (also referred to as blinky mode). 1474g minimum weight

given this information i was hoping to get some suggestions on what electronics to buy. My local track owns team powers and i was considering their Team Powers Actinium V5 Competition motor.

Reading through different brands and the specs it gets confusing. They are obviously all 17.5 turn motors but I kept reading that not all 17.5t motors are allowed to race in the class im trying to join. I was also looking at a Fantom Helix 17.5 works motor which is a lil more expensive than the team powers. What is a really good racing motor for my application? I appreciate all suggestions.

Than what esc do i run. I know you want to have a buffer on the amps depending on what amps the motor pulls but im having a hard time finding the amp info on the motors. I didnt want to start buying stuff blindly, then show up to race and not be allowed in the class cause i chose the wrong electronics. Sorry for such a long post i just have alot of questions lol. Thank you again and have a great day. ​​​​​​

Old 03-03-2024, 03:15 PM
Tech Champion

I run a Tekin Rs esc.
Old 03-05-2024, 03:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

If the motor is ROAR approved, it usually says so on the box or in the description. You can find all the ROAR approved motors here: https://www.roarracing.com/approved_...ess_motors.php
For the most part, performance goes up over time. So the newer a motor design/construction, the better it will be. You can get a rough idea of how old a motor design is based on it's ROAR approval date. Also there can be differences in top RPM and torque, which usually only need gear changes to optimize.

I'm in the midwest and I don't recall seeing anyone that runs Team Powers. Not to say that they are bad, as I think there are some regional favorites. We have Motiv and Fantom in our backyards.

Same could be said about ESC. Though I think there are less improvements over time with ESC since they are purely electronic. Some people swear by Tekin, Maclan, Hobbywing etc. There's also very little empirical data to show the differences. More expensive ESC have functions you can't use in stock racing like boost and turbo, but they also have a lot of tuning options if that appeals to you. Don't think you'll have space problems with the B6, so physical size shouldn't matter too much. Also what programming options are there? Programming card, wireless, phone app, computer app, etc. You have to decide what's important to you.
Old 03-05-2024, 11:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Don’t get hung up I’m s spending money on the “fastest” motor or “best” esc. Theres fast guys with a hobbywing juststock 60amp esc and team powers. Anything from a good manufacturer will get you going
BP and OffRoadJunkie like this.