Like Tree17Likes

Help me come up with fun race formats

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 08:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MonkeyCmonkeyDo
Think we do 4 person teams
How do the teams work? How do you do it in the timing and scoring software?

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2024, 08:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

we did our 3h oval enduro on a single car, swapping any part was allowed though. youd have to gear the car more conservatively to keep temps down. no one that did ours ended up smoking a motor during the race, it was all on basically spec slash setups (XL5, 2s, 7600mah max, unaltered 12t titan, traxxas/rpm parts allowed except (272r or other aftermarket transmission) wheel offsets had to be the same per axle, but not per side, so no staggering allowed

Originally Posted by 0010
When you ran the endurance races, did that seem to be hard on the motors? That was one concern expressed to me when I brought that up. That was when we started thinking about relay style where you run different cars but for the same team. I'm just not sure how to do that in LiveTime
Old 02-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Probably not going to be popular, but you could have a race consisting of two person teams. One person is blind folded and is operating the transmitter. The second person tells them when to turn, brake, accelerate, etc.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:04 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by angrymelon
Probably not going to be popular, but you could have a race consisting of two person teams. One person is blind folded and is operating the transmitter. The second person tells them when to turn, brake, accelerate, etc.
Ha, that would be good for the hobby shop's sales!!
Old 02-23-2024, 09:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

We used to have rocket racing with no quals. Essentially triple mains with top 2 rounds combined and tie breaker to fastest run. 3 rows of cars rotating each round so everyone gets a chance to start on the first row once so if 6 racers in the heat, then 2 cars per row, if 12 racers then 4 cars per row.

Another thing our club did was a "consistency series" so where you finished didn't matter, it was scored by your consistency and this actually promoted squeaky clean driving!
0010 likes this.
Old 02-23-2024, 12:11 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by billdelong
We used to have rocket racing with no quals. Essentially triple mains with top 2 rounds combined and tie breaker to fastest run. 3 rows of cars rotating each round so everyone gets a chance to start on the first row once so if 6 racers in the heat, then 2 cars per row, if 12 racers then 4 cars per row.

Another thing our club did was a "consistency series" so where you finished didn't matter, it was scored by your consistency and this actually promoted squeaky clean driving!
Hmm, the consistency series sounds cool. Did you just score based on the consistency number in LiveTime? So, if you had 96.73 in consistency, that was your score?
Old 02-23-2024, 01:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Hmm, the consistency series sounds cool. Did you just score based on the consistency number in LiveTime? So, if you had 96.73 in consistency, that was your score?
Yup, and the tie breaker was whoever finished first, there were times where we had several ties and I once won both classes while never actually winning a single race, ha!

0010 likes this.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Pretty much what ‘break out’ on oval is all about? You set a max lap time if you go under the lap doesn’t count, so consistency is key.
Old 02-26-2024, 01:00 PM
Tech Lord

Caravan!
Crazy Dutch Caravan race (youtube.com)
Rick Vessell and jiml like this.
Old 02-26-2024, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

During a race, the spectators get to shoot at the cars with paintball guns.
Disgruntled_RC likes this.
Old 02-26-2024, 06:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

ill third black light racing
and add bikini girl turn marshals

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
During a race, the spectators get to shoot at the cars with paintball guns.
might be more fun to give the paintball guns to the racers to shoot turn marshals when they slack off or keep them from flipping over a higher ranking car
OffRoadJunkie likes this.
Old 02-27-2024, 05:59 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Disgruntled_RC
might be more fun to give the paintball guns to the racers to shoot turn marshals when they slack off or keep them from flipping over a higher ranking car
Only if the marshalls have the ability to fire back
Old 02-27-2024, 07:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Adding to the enduro events, Ive participated in a few that were carpet onroad, but the premise is the same.
4 man teams, I believe it was a $200 or so buy in, with that you received a TT01 kit and a pre-painted single color body, you then have 45 min or an hour (I dont remember) to build your car as a team, once that time is up the race is starting with or without you. You may run any receiver/radio/servo, but you must run the kit silvercan motor as well as a spec 5000 battery. Batteries were only $25 and a bunch of us already had them from other classes. You may have as many of these as you'd like. (realistically you only need 2 or 3). Every team must have a marshal on track at all times, and every team member must drive for at least an hour, but other than that its open. Pitstops are open so this makes strategy key. You burn up $12 motors occasionally, and tires are completely toast at the end, but its relatively cheap at $50 a person for the event and its an awesome time. The track also provided pizza for everyone in attendance.

Maybe something to think about if there would be a budget semi-durable offroad car you could all use.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:11 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MrLesac
Adding to the enduro events, Ive participated in a few that were carpet onroad, but the premise is the same.
4 man teams, I believe it was a $200 or so buy in, with that you received a TT01 kit and a pre-painted single color body, you then have 45 min or an hour (I dont remember) to build your car as a team, once that time is up the race is starting with or without you. You may run any receiver/radio/servo, but you must run the kit silvercan motor as well as a spec 5000 battery. Batteries were only $25 and a bunch of us already had them from other classes. You may have as many of these as you'd like. (realistically you only need 2 or 3). Every team must have a marshal on track at all times, and every team member must drive for at least an hour, but other than that its open. Pitstops are open so this makes strategy key. You burn up $12 motors occasionally, and tires are completely toast at the end, but its relatively cheap at $50 a person for the event and its an awesome time. The track also provided pizza for everyone in attendance.

Maybe something to think about if there would be a budget semi-durable offroad car you could all use.
That is a cool Idea. I will look into that too!
MrLesac likes this.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:43 PM
Tech Addict

So, I called LiveTime tech support and found out how to run a relay style race in the software. When you setup the event, in the Rounds tab, you mark 'allow multiple transponders for driver'. You set up "Team Name" as a driver and register them for the race. Then before you start that round, you have everyone on the team check in and drag all of the transponders to the team name. The first driver starts, then you when one comes off, the next can go and it gets scored under the same team name.
jiml likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.