Search
Like Tree10Likes

RC Car Racing vs other sports

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
I feel the same way about big trophy races. They cost more and turnout is usually higher so it's a longer race day. I don't get any more track time than if I'd gone to a club race and the pressure is higher making it more stressful and less fun, and I'm not going to get a trophy when I'm driving against all the top guys in the region which includes sponsored drivers. I already know how I stack up and about where I'd finish so there's no real upside I can see. I just skip them.

Not debating, but sometimes it is interesting to think about what qualifies as a "sport" and the activities that can get included or excluded as a result of how you define it. A lot of definitions of "sport" include something about physical exertion, which to me excludes all forms of racing, but also things like golf, bowling, pool, and I'd argue even baseball (would you use the term "athletic" to characterize someone like CC Sabathia?). But that definition also includes marching bands - it's a physically exhausting activity that requires skill and marching bands do compete in judged competitions against each other. But how many people actually consider marching band a sport? Probably not many other than band geeks like myself.

If you take out the "exertion" part of the definition you're left with something like "any competitive activity requiring the skilled use/control of your body." That definition allows the excluded activities I mentioned above to be considered a sport, and also other activities like gaming/esports and even other types of music performance competitions.

I don't care one way or the other if RC is considered a sport, I just think it's fun/interesting to ponder stuff like that sometimes but I'm also just weird.

You should watch some NASCAR, rally or F1 races. Some of the drivers come out of their cockpits absolutely sweating buckets after they take their helmets off. If you're still curious, have a look at their workout regimens.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 02-21-2024, 07:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Or just any automotive racing. Even with power steering you'll be physically exhausted after a 20-40min driving session as you're using all your senses and pushing hard for every tenth. It is absolutely a draining exercise, especially in hot weather.
Old 02-21-2024, 10:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Alexv2024
Or just any automotive racing. Even with power steering you'll be physically exhausted after a 20-40min driving session as you're using all your senses and pushing hard for every tenth. It is absolutely a draining exercise, especially in hot weather.
True.. racing actual cars can be a serious workout.. and I sometimes get cramps in my hand after about 3 minutes of driving my toy car around a track with a lot of turns.. but judging the athleticism displayed by myself and a good portion of fellow drivers while marshaling.. I am gonna stick to calling it a hobby 😀
AHR43 likes this.
Old 02-22-2024, 05:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sabin
You should watch some NASCAR, rally or F1 races. Some of the drivers come out of their cockpits absolutely sweating buckets after they take their helmets off. If you're still curious, have a look at their workout regimens.
They're racing in the hottest parts of the country during the hottest time of the year in full protective jumpsuits/helmets in a car with no air conditioning. Pretty sure they'd get equally sweaty even if they just sat in an idling car for 2 hours.

Just like baseball, there have have been plenty of high level drivers that nobody would ever accuse of being "athletic." And people exercise for a competitive edge in all kinds of activities, even chess. Being physically fit gives tons of health and mental benefits that can be advantageous, that doesn't mean the activity itself requires exertion.

And I've got to say, I'm pretty surprised the statement about racing is what has gotten everyone so riled up when I thought for sure my assertion that marching band is actually a sport would get way more reaction.

Last edited by RC10Nick; 02-22-2024 at 06:20 AM.
Old 02-22-2024, 06:20 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The longest running sporting event in the US is the Kentucky Derby.

The second longest running sporting event in the US is the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show.

There was a time when a Sportsman was someone who was into hunting, fishing, and other outdoor activities.

Baseball, football, basketball, hockey, soccer, are all games

A definition can evolve over time far away from it's original intent. Which is why we should stay away from discussions like this.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:14 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games,” Ernest Hemingway once said.

You probably add a few more now.
jiml likes this.