Do i need to vent tires for racing? >

Do i need to vent tires for racing?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By billdelong

Do i need to vent tires for racing?

Old 02-26-2024, 07:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Do i need to vent tires for racing?

Quick question i think i know the answer to based on some googling but wanted to clarify:

I have brand new slicks on brand new wheels. The wheels have vent holes on the inside of the rim. I run on indoor clay with tire prep "sauce".
Should i put additional vents/holes in the tire?

My thinking is no, because tire prep stuff could get in and destroy the foam and the rim is already vented?
Old 02-26-2024, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RetroThutmose
Quick question i think i know the answer to based on some googling but wanted to clarify:

I have brand new slicks on brand new wheels. The wheels have vent holes on the inside of the rim. I run on indoor clay with tire prep "sauce".
Should i put additional vents/holes in the tire?

My thinking is no, because tire prep stuff could get in and destroy the foam and the rim is already vented?

You don't need to vent the tire.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

You need some form of venting, be it the wheels or tires, though not necessary to vent both, it comes down to personal preference, there's no right/wrong method.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok, going off the title, "venting tires for racing".

I would be in question for off-road, outdoor track.

Better to vent the tires or wheels, or both?

Benefit of one or the other?

Then, your glueing process....what you using?

Here is what I have done;
Venting

I never really focused on my venting process
I vented and send it

Now I know some wheels come stock vented, and I would still vent my tires.
My issue is some brands go flat after time. Like you lose the radial of the center of the tire. Hence, flat.
I think some companies foams go bad or does the tire stretch that bad?
​​​​
Tire and Wheel prepWhat I use is simple green and Super glue professional, the blue bottle and acetone with scotchbrite or sand paper and TDK and collapsible dog bowl with kicker. I lightly rough up the wheels with sand paperAir then offClean with acetoneThen wash complete tire with simple green, rinse, air offDab inside tire with one application of TDKLet all dry overnight. Punch tire in middle for venting, 2 times, opposite of each other.Acetone tire bead with Scotch BriteWipe with acetone rag Install tire on wheelBandspress tire down tight to bead I'm glueing and work around slowly with glue.Acetone rag wipe quick on beadCover with bowl and spray kicker. Set for thirty seconds ishApply glue on bead again, repeat kicker Repeat whole process on opposite side.

Then I started balancing ALL my wheels Done

Last edited by kruzracing169; 03-01-2024 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by kruzracing169
Ok, going off the title, "venting tires for racing".

I would be in question for off-road, outdoor track.

Better to vent the tires or wheels, or both?

Benefit of one or the other?
I have heard racers claim they can tell a difference but I certainly can't tell one way or the other, though you will know for sure if you didn't vent the tires because they will balloon severely and handling will be piss poor. The amount of venting you provide will determine how quickly the ballooning effect is restored back to normal, so I prefer 2 vent holes at 2.5mm each to offer the smallest vent hole possible without disrupting performance. I also prefer to vent the inside sidewalls so not to disrupt the tread pattern.

Again, there is no right/wrong way to vent, you'll get tons of opinions on what drivers prefer for their own venting method.
kruzracing169 likes this.