Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree151Likes

Preferred Racing Surface

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2023, 05:50 AM
Tech Adept

Default Preferred Racing Surface

To all my racing colleagues. We were having a discussion at our local track regarding the preferred indoor off-road racing surface. I would like to know, among racers, what your preferred racing surface is. Specifically for indoor racing, 10 scale buggy and other indoor classes? Do you prefer clay, wet or dry, glued, carpet, loose dirt, asphalt...ect? I want to know what surface will make you more inclined to do some short travel to race on. Dry clay, with wood jumps, wet clay with clay jumps. Also, what kind of racing programs do you prefer, club racing, trophy races, cash payout races....ect? Thank you for participating with this. As the industry changes, I think it's important to change with it and would like to offer this information to local tracks.
Old 11-08-2023, 05:53 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Carpet. Both on and off road. I liked the layout of clay. But eventually found that I was better on carpet.

Pavement was fun. But got tired of standing out in the sun

So far 8hrs one way is my longest drive. 8 states. Single day events. I’ll do 3 races in 3 days. Sometimes in 3 states. But find get board spending 2 days on one track.
Phil250 likes this.
Old 11-08-2023, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For On-Road my choice would be carpet (but not the black US variant). For Off-Road it's more difficult to tell. I've never driven Off-Road indoors. The indoor tracks I've seen photos of, don't really look like Off-Road to me (regardless of the actual surface). I've grown to like driving on Astroturf outdoors, as long as it's not flat like a table and has enough room for big jumps, etc. The small indoor carpet tracks I've seen on most pictures, just look like On-Road tracks with two or three tiny little hops (wouldn't even call these "jumps") added.
nitrous36, gigaplex and Phil250 like this.
Old 11-08-2023, 07:17 AM
Tech Adept

Carpet Off-Road is probably all I will race on.

Clean up is easier, tire game is simple and setups work from track to track.

Overall it is more straightforward than dirt.

I usually don't race during the summer either.
Phil250 likes this.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

My opinion is, offroad should be lose dirt. Otherwise, it's just on road racing with jumps. There is so much more cool action on lose dirt. Seeing buggies drift in the corners, the suspension going crazy over the uneven surface, etc... It's just a lot more realistic and entertaining to see. You just don't see as many spectators at races anymore. Maybe they feel the same.
Old 11-08-2023, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

I don't know, which type of racing looks more exciting to watch?

High Traction:
https://youtu.be/DdoC3RYvaMw

Lose Dirt:
https://youtu.be/M7pgJL6iheE

Even in Drag racing, lose dirt is more exciting to see.

High Traction:
https://youtu.be/xz2uuSXArWo

Dirt:
https://youtu.be/CvrLQ23rqfM
nitrous36 and Phil250 like this.
Old 11-08-2023, 09:15 AM
Regional Moderator

Off road should be dirt, clay if it can't be dirt. If I'm driving carpet I'm running on road.

Last edited by nitrous36; 11-08-2023 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-08-2023, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

I get why people like high traction. It allows you to drive faster.
Horatio, nitrous36 and Phil250 like this.
Old 11-08-2023, 10:30 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

For indoor off road carpet is the easiest and cleanest. Plus there's a stupid amount of traction.

I completely understand why people prefer dirt off road, but indoor dirt is a monster for maintenance. Track maintenance and car maintenance.
gigaplex and Phil250 like this.
Old 11-08-2023, 10:42 AM
Tech Adept

outdoor off road - dirt
indoor off road - clay
id be happy if the surface varied though as well. i watch some of the Euro races on youtube and they'll be on a big out door dirt track, but there will be carpet or turf in some corners or on some jumps. and brick or cobblestone in some corners and short straights. that's what full scale off road racing is, racing on various non paved, non groomed surfaces, some nature made, some man made.
and i will also add that even though i like dirt and clay tracks (im talking about in door clay specifically with this comment) i don't like it when the surface is overly groomed/prepped. wet it down every now and then to keep the dust down and let the surface/conditions be what the surface/conditions are. traction rolling shouldn't be an issue in off road racing.

on road - asphalt or concrete. preferably unprepped.

as for racing programs i like. i like the kind that is relaxed and no one is taking it to seriously. if to many people are to hell bent on being one of the fast guys, or winning that they can't have casual conversations or won't leave there pit space. it's a buzzkill. i guess casual club racing would be my answer.
Old 11-08-2023, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

I'd go to whatever track has good turnouts and a fun scene. Not really interested in trophy races - they're usually too long, too expensive, and too serious. I'd have fun racing on any surface, but I'd definitely avoid any surface that eats tires. That gets too expensive.
Phil250 likes this.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:04 PM
Tech Champion

Clay is the debil! Absolute worst dirt ever for racing. At first I thought it was awesome. But it's a narrow tuning window. I would avoid clay at all cost.

Real dirt is for outdoors 1/8th scale. 1/8th offers far superior racing on dirt. Easy tire selection. Durability. No damned spec motor classes, or the slightest need for such. Steady rules package.

For indoor 1/10th off road, carpet is king now. But tracks are still evolving. Many are too onroady. Jumps can be too basic, too flat.

More bumps, more dots, more ramped jumps, more ice needed. Sure a few high speed sweepers are cool on the outside of the track. But try to keep the infield tight and technical to reduce percieved motor advantages.

Use nasty old grey carpet. No need for high end black Crc. Heck, wrinkles are good. Maybe toss in a couple astroturf turns. Lower grip carpet means no tire sidewall glueing.
nitrous36 and Phil250 like this.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 11-08-2023 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:08 PM
Tech Champion

Dupe.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 11-08-2023 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:25 PM
Tech Champion

Phil250 likes this.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:25 PM
Tech Champion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.