Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Preferred Racing Surface >

Preferred Racing Surface

Like Tree150Likes

Preferred Racing Surface

Old 11-08-2023, 09:36 PM
Tech Champion

As for format, I prefer club races, and open practice days.

One qualifier. 3 mains. Some tracks are 4 races, no qualifiers. Line up wherever you want, in the 1st race. Results make the starting order for the rest.

The PPQQQM, format is good for big 3 day races. Useless on a weekly basis.

Money races haven't been cool for almost two decades. Bad idea. It draws in all the knuckleheads. If you want to get drunk and beat eachother with metal chairs WWF style,......money races are perfect for that.
nitrous36, 0010 and Phil250 like this.
Old 11-09-2023, 03:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
More bumps, more dots, more ramped jumps, more ice needed. Sure a few high speed sweepers are cool on the outside of the track. But try to keep the infield tight and technical to reduce percieved motor advantages.
Sounds like a nightmare for marshal points.
Old 11-09-2023, 05:41 AM
Tech Champion

On carpet, if you need a marshal, your race is over.

Look around, most carpet tracks are still fairly flat. Ramps and elevation changes take time and money. Theyll catch up eventually.
Old 11-09-2023, 06:33 AM
Tech Champion

On carpet, if you need a marshal, your race is over.

Look around, most carpet tracks are still fairly flat. Ramps and elevation changes take time and money. Theyll catch up eventually.
I wasn't talking about from a racers perspective. I've seen lots of videos of off road tracks where marshals kept running across traffic or had to sit inside the track area because the layout wasn't designed with marshal access in mind. That's a safety issue.
Old 11-09-2023, 08:00 AM
Tech Champion

Yeah, marshal spots need designed in.

Generally in the outside of turns in the infield, straightaway is the furthest lane. Twisty infields are easiest. So marshals aren't blocking anything significant.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Wet Clay, preferably with a misting system... SDRC has the best clay I've ever had the pleasure to race on... any track that you can run slicks gets my vote.

I travel to SoCal once a year to visit family and I'll never skip the opportunity to race at SDRC.

The person you really want to talk about the subject with is Tyler Hooks, he schedules all the major 1/10 races across the nation so if you want a big race at your track he's the guy to get your foot in the door with:

https://www.liverc.com/news/2023-jco...ionals-report/
Phil250 and MonkeyCmonkeyDo like this.
Old 11-09-2023, 11:03 AM
Tech Regular

Clay is the debil! Absolute worst dirt ever for racing. At first I thought it was awesome. But it's a narrow tuning window. I would avoid clay at all cost
iv noticed this comment comes up a lot. what iv noticed about it is it's specific to the preferred racing line on a usually moderately to highly prepped and maintained surface. which is essentially on road racing with jumps. it also depends on track layout and lane width. what iv noticed is, if you don't maintain it to the umpteenth degree that preferred racing line goes to pot pretty quick and people start looking for a new line. causing new lanes to open up. on a wider track iv seen 4 lanes in one particularly wide sweeping corner. it caused guys to seek a neutral tune so the car would work anywhere/everywhere/at all times, and that is a huge window. at that point is almost more about driving ability than chassis set up.
Zerodefect and OffRoadJunkie like this.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:30 PM
Tech Adept

im a dampened clay guy. every track iv ever been to has been dampened clay. get it wet enough to keep the dust down and not crack and let the racing begin. and keep the damn brooms and leaf blowers off the track, were racing not gardening
im also a club race guy, don't even care about "racer bucks"(store credit) cause im not winning it. another benefit of club racing, you're in and out in 3 hours. and if not you can just say screw it and leave. bonus points if i can drink a beer or two without someone getting bent out of shape about it
Phil250 likes this.
Old 11-12-2023, 06:22 AM
Tech Champion

Raced carpet again this week. Was 20x the grip of clay, nearly zero tire wear (JC Swaggers, Fuzzbites, no glue), no broken parts, no cleaning, no dope. No fear of getting ebola in the pits. $20.

You're missing out. Clay royally sucks.

Format was meh. Layout had a few issues. But had tons of practice time. 3 hours in the morning. About another hour total between rounds
Old 11-12-2023, 03:29 PM
Tech Adept

petersen114 and OffRoadJunkie like this.
Old 11-14-2023, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The next greatest chassis design for carpet offroad racing.

Old 11-14-2023, 11:25 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
The next greatest chassis design for carpet offroad racing.
You need at find a new taking point.
jiml and hunterdawg like this.
Old 11-14-2023, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
You need at find a new taking point.

I think you were telling me that I need to find a new talking point.

My talking point is, carpet racing is like on road racing, but with jumps.
Old 11-14-2023, 01:05 PM
Tech Adept

I like black carpet. I'm an occasional racer, 3 club races a month if I'm lucky due to schedule. It's just much easier than having to add cleaning the car after racing to my list of to-do's. I like that the setup is more consistent, so I get to maximize the little time I do get to enjoy the hobby.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 11-14-2023, 02:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DarthDad
I like black carpet. I'm an occasional racer, 3 club races a month if I'm lucky due to schedule. It's just much easier than having to add cleaning the car after racing to my list of to-do's. I like that the setup is more consistent, so I get to maximize the little time I do get to enjoy the hobby.
3 per month is way more frequently than an occasional racer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.