• 3 Post By Silverbullet555
  • 1 Post By GerryH
  • 1 Post By mrreet2001

LiveRC: What Can I Actually Do In Here?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 07:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default LiveRC: What Can I Actually Do In Here?

So I did some Googling, and did some searching here in the threads, but couldn't find any information pertaining the what a registered user can actually do in LiveRC.com.

LiveRC seems like the standard(?), but the website and interface is sorely lacking. As a newly registered user, I thought I could do the following, but apparently not:
  1. Save various local tracks to my favorites, but this is seemingly not even a feature,
  2. Build my profile with my transponder number so I can have access to past races/practices,
  3. Upload and build additional transponder profiles as to make the logging in and syncing transponders at the track easier and faster,
  4. Look up past data based on my name, which I could somehow link to my account,
  5. Change/correct racer name associated with the transponder,
  6. BONUS: View current news other than past, big event races from 2019 and 2020. Seems weird, but oh well.
Am I missing some core information here? Did I gloss over some hyperlink that's a white dot, or something, that goes to all the features above?

So far, not a fan of LiveRC, or its interface.

Also, is there a general guide that breaks down how the results are formatted, e.g. the color-changing bars? Is that average lap time/consistency or something?

Thanks for any help.

SF12 likes this.

Last edited by Ackchyually; 01-12-2022 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-08-2022, 10:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

They have some video tutorials that might help with that. I don't use it for that. I do use it for averages, consistency, etc. I am not a subscribed user. Sounds like not of value as the potential certainly is there.
Old 01-09-2022, 08:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Silverbullet555
They have some video tutorials that might help with that. I don't use it for that. I do use it for averages, consistency, etc. I am not a subscribed user. Sounds like not of value as the potential certainly is there.
OK, would you mind sharing how you go back and view your past results?

Nope, none of the features above are mentioned in the "Bonus Lap" membership. I don't see any added value to it either.

I found this video helpful, though it's more geared for the Race Director, but the interface is very close to the one found in LiveRC:
. My suspicions were correct; I guess the colored bar is for "pace, or "expected time around the course." This column is not identified/labeled in the LiveRC interface.
Old 01-09-2022, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

I only race at one track, but you can go to any track you race at and pick the current event. At the top, under the track name and date, there is a link for "view results from other events". Click on it and it'll take you to past events. Click on the one you want.

Old 01-09-2022, 04:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

LiveRC has started paywalling the video recordings on the race results, so that's one perk of being a registered member. This is extremely frustrating for my club, as we pay extra for the privilege of being able to stream to LiveRC, only for them to now double dip and charge our members for access. They've even retroactively gone back and paywalled all our previous videos that used to be free, and their streaming service performance is terrible - it struggles to do more than 700kb/s. We've since started streaming to YouTube instead.
Old 01-09-2022, 04:56 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Previous races. Just click on to get the results. More places I’ve been going to just use LiveRC to post rounds.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
LiveRC has started paywalling the video recordings on the race results, so that's one perk of being a registered member. This is extremely frustrating for my club, as we pay extra for the privilege of being able to stream to LiveRC, only for them to now double dip and charge our members for access. They've even retroactively gone back and paywalled all our previous videos that used to be free, and their streaming service performance is terrible - it struggles to do more than 700kb/s. We've since started streaming to YouTube instead.
FYI, LiveRC used to upload all race video to YouTube and anyone could view the recordings for free. However, couple years ago YouTube caught on to the mass amount of video was being uploaded and shutdown LiveRC’s upload access. LiveRC had no choice but to spin up their own video servers for recording the streams. This cost lots of money, so yes they have to charge viewers for the Bonus Lap membership to recover those costs for those who want to watch the recorded videos. So blame YouTube, not LiveRC, they are not double dipping.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

A friend turned me on to this site: www.rcgarage.info. They must have some data sharing with LiveTime. I can go back and see every LiveTime race I've ever done.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GerryH
A friend turned me on to this site: www.rcgarage.info. They must have some data sharing with LiveTime. I can go back and see every LiveTime race I've ever done.
Those videos on RC Garage are all just links to videos on YouTube, which is how you are watching all your old races. Anything new streamed to LiveRC won’t be on YouTube or RC Garage and you need a Bonus Lap membership to view on LiveRC’s web site.
Old 01-10-2022, 10:08 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Anthony.L
Those videos on RC Garage are all just links to videos on YouTube, which is how you are watching all your old races. Anything new streamed to LiveRC won’t be on YouTube or RC Garage and you need a Bonus Lap membership to view on LiveRC’s web site.
I don't think he is talking about videos. I think he is talking about this:
https://rcgarage.info/Racing?for=profile

If I search for my name all of my races appear.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 01-10-2022, 10:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Anthony.L
FYI, LiveRC used to upload all race video to YouTube and anyone could view the recordings for free. However, couple years ago YouTube caught on to the mass amount of video was being uploaded and shutdown LiveRC’s upload access. LiveRC had no choice but to spin up their own video servers for recording the streams. This cost lots of money, so yes they have to charge viewers for the Bonus Lap membership to recover those costs for those who want to watch the recorded videos. So blame YouTube, not LiveRC, they are not double dipping.
I'm aware of that. I asked the developers if we could upload our own private stream key to the LiveTime account so they could upload our clubs videos under our YouTube account. They rejected that idea. YouTube didn't shut down their account, they just rate limited to 5 videos per day via the API as of 1 March 2020. The videos are still on YouTube, I still have a couple of them bookmarked, but LiveTime retroactively removed the link to them from the result page and uploaded a copy to LiveTime's own video hosting instead and paywalled it. Here's an example of one of them:

And here's the result page where the link was removed and is now paywalled: https://tftr.liverc.com/results/?p=v...ult&id=1726402

They've always had their own video servers for recording the streams. That's where they did the recoding/splitting before uploading individual YouTube videos.

Last edited by gigaplex; 01-10-2022 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 06:30 AM
Tech Adept

Thinking about this more, and even thinking about another would-be-useful feature--changing your name previously entered in by a Race Director*--LiveRC from a user standpoint at least, does absolutely nothing and offers zero benefits.

Videos are cool and all, but really, what is the true purpose? Is LiveRC still working on features or something? Seems like the developers really missed the target...again, from the user standpoint.

* This idea came to mind when viewing a local race's stats where the RD somehow managed to key in the same first name for two different racers who, surprise surprise, don't share the same first name! Yes, I'm sure they'll correct it before the next race, but if LiveRC could actually allow the user/racer to make the change, then that would certainly be useful! Even if LiveRC tied my "missing features" to the Bonus Lap membership, then at least it would be good value-added option.

Old 01-12-2022, 06:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ackchyually
Thinking about this more, and even thinking about another would-be-useful feature--changing your name previously entered in by a Race Director*--LiveRC from a user standpoint at least, does absolutely nothing and offers zero benefits.

Videos are cool and all, but really, what is the true purpose? Is LiveRC still working on features or something? Seems like the developers really missed the target...again, from the user standpoint.

* This idea came to mind when viewing a local race's stats where the RD somehow managed to key in the same first name for two different racers who, surprise surprise, don't share the same first name! Yes, I'm sure they'll correct it before the next race, but if LiveRC could actually allow the user/racer to make the change, then that would certainly be useful! Even if LiveRC tied my "missing features" to the Bonus Lap membership, then at least it would be good value-added option.
I don't think any of us really know if LiveRC is interested in developing their software package more or not. They have an essential monopoly on the market with a few other systems having very low utilization. Best bet would be to email them these ideas and see what they say. I have emailed them and do get responses after a few days.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:54 PM
Tech Adept

Alot of the functions Achchyually talks about are in RC Scoring Pro. Our track used this for a few years and I liked the way it could display race results, your practice sessions and see track and personal bests. It was also capable of pulling results from any track you raced at in their system.
Old 01-12-2022, 06:36 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sweems
Alot of the functions Achchyually talks about are in RC Scoring Pro. Our track used this for a few years and I liked the way it could display race results, your practice sessions and see track and personal bests. It was also capable of pulling results from any track you raced at in their system.
One of my local tracks used RC Scoring Pro. They dropped it when the developers took the system offline for maintenance during one of their big annual trophy races without notice.