Wiki Posts
Search

surface question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 07:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Questions?? surface question

This may be a stupid question but I am asking anyway.
Are there any onroad astroturf tracks out there?
and if so, what tires would you use rubber or foam?
I know there are plenty astro 'offroad' tracks but what if you wanted to use your TC7 or F6 on astro assuming that you could convince a track owner to pull out the jumps to host an onroad event - how would you setup your car?
Thanks
Old 12-28-2021, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'd imagine not -- Astroturf is quite slippy and wouldn't work for anything needing grip.

I could be wrong, though.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Never seen (or heard of) astroturf used for an On-Road track.
Old 12-28-2021, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Berky
This may be a stupid question but I am asking anyway.
Are there any onroad astroturf tracks out there?
and if so, what tires would you use rubber or foam?
I know there are plenty astro 'offroad' tracks but what if you wanted to use your TC7 or F6 on astro assuming that you could convince a track owner to pull out the jumps to host an onroad event - how would you setup your car?
Thanks
Rubber unless you want the barrier to entry to be a tire truer.
I would have to imagine astro will have far less grip than carpet or asphalt, so more droop (less down stop), more ride height, and you might have to take sway bars off or fiddle with roll center a bit.

Wayne
Old 12-28-2021, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You are more likely to find off-road AstroTurf tracks. Many of the newer off-road vehicles designed for indoor carpet or high grip tracks have low center of gravity less chassis roll than chassis designed to run on dirt. I've heard many describe the experience as running on-road with jumps. Typically they are running rubber tires.

Another option would be to run a rally car and keep the jumps. There are some 1/10 or larger scale rally chassis that should perform okay as long as there aren't super cross motorcycle type jumps (tall/steep). There are also rally tread rubber tires that you can get for 1/10 sized rally cars.

Depending on grip levels and tire used, I would start up with a setup with softer springs, oil, and more chassis roll.

1/10 touring cars can be converted to rally cars or just setup with slight longer shocks and a bit more down travel in the suspension to help land the jumps better. Larger off-road vehicles can also be converted to use car style bodies instead of truck or buggy bodies.

Hope these ideas/info helps.