Search
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ibobi

Print out a Wiki thread?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 07:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Post Print out a Wiki thread?

Is there a way to print out a whole Wiki thread. I noticed the option for Search this Thread, but I would like to save a Wiki thread locally with the option to do a text search. Let me know if this can be done.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:46 PM
Administrator

There's no "print wiki" button, but you could always copy and paste it into a text program and print that.
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:15 PM
Tech Rookie

With the search thread button there is an extra click and page load to read the context of the post. I might come up with something sooner or later so I can get everything together in one text file.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Just do like Ibobi stated copy and paste! Its not that hard.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:04 PM
Tech Rookie

I wrote a web scraper that yields an html file. It will open in a browser nicely formatted and allow you to use ctrl+f on the contents The thread that I was interested in is 300+ pages and now I can search on it. If anyone needs a large thread printed out I can send you a copy, although I have had instances where a character encoding problem requires me to hunt it down to create a work around.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:54 PM
Tech Lord

Most forums in the past had a printer friendly view, is this still available?
Old 07-18-2019, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Roelof
Most forums in the past had a printer friendly view, is this still available?
It is! Go to the wikipost you'd like to print, then click the button to "Expand". In the bottom right corner, you should see a small printer icon. Click that. I have attached a screenshot with the icon circled as an example.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:53 PM
Tech Rookie

That is called the 'Wikipost'. I wanted the entire wiki thread for my car. Someone recommended I copy and paste but there is no way. Once you scroll through several pages, the earlier pages are removed from browser. Since I started this thread there is now an option to Show Printable Version under Thread Tools, but that also only shows the pages that are visible in your browser.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jedpayt
That is called the 'Wikipost'. I wanted the entire wiki thread for my car. Someone recommended I copy and paste but there is no way. Once you scroll through several pages, the earlier pages are removed from browser. Since I started this thread there is now an option to Show Printable Version under Thread Tools, but that also only shows the pages that are visible in your browser.
So you want to print out a thread?
Old 07-18-2019, 02:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Yes any thread that is more than a couple pages long but I wanted to print a Wiki thread.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jedpayt
Yes any thread that is more than a couple pages long but I wanted to print a Wiki thread.
OK, I understand you now. For longer threads, I can see how that would feel like a chore, to go to each page and print. While not a solution to getting everything on a single page, when you click "Show Printable Version" under "Thread Tools" at the top of the thread you'd like to print out, you should see "Show 40 Post(s) from this thread on one page" in the upper right corner. This will cut the number of prints you have to do by a little over 60% or make it easier to copy/paste into a document, should you chose to go that route.