Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
What Airbrush to chose for BEGINNING RC Painting ? >

What Airbrush to chose for BEGINNING RC Painting ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

What Airbrush to chose for BEGINNING RC Painting ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Thinking about picking up an airbrush for the wife. Probably going to go with the Iwata from Hobby Lobby. Need help with an air source.

Primary use will be painting RC car bodies. Would also like to be able to use it to clean my cars after running. Bonus if I can fill my actual car tire when it's running low.

This thread mentions 10-18psi. 35psi. 85psi. Any suggestions?
Old 12-24-2013, 06:10 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

in the car painting world sata is top dog. I'm surprised more of you are not using a sata. I see them for $149.
iwata is good but not sata good.
that thing from hobby lobby is not an Iwata spray gun. if it doesn't say "BY ANEST IWATA" it's not an Iwata. you're over paying for it even with the coupon.

I have a $200 sharpe spray gun I use on motorcycles and to be honest those cheap harbor freight chicago pneumatic pro spray guns they sell spray just as good. having knowing this by owning one of each, I'm betting the harbor freight airbrush will spray nicely for learning with. you don't want to buy an expensive tool to learn with. you might find you're no good at it for one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/deluxe-...kit-95810.html the only real downside is it's not gravity feed or has other nozzle sizes.

Last edited by mtpocketsracing; 12-24-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:34 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BeLiPoWa
Hi, I'm new in lexan body painting, and I have an double action airbrush with 0.30mm nozzle, but when I'm doing a simple design or covering all the surface with faskoat or similar I think the "Master Single Action .8mm" that you recommend in the first page can be a good ally. So I'm looking for one, but I have found some spray guns like this:

The description says:

Air Pressure: 43PSI
Air Inlet : 1/4"
Air Consumption: 4CFM
Cup Capacity: 150ML
Feed Type: Gravity
Fluid Nozzle: 0.5MM-1.0MM

What do you think about? Better or worse than single action 0.8mm? and why?

Thanks for your replys

Best regards.

that thing will apply paint to much at a time. it's designed to spray thicker paints on a larger area. and if you turn the pressure down it will splatter the paint in large blobs instead of thin droplets.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BeLiPoWa
Hi, I'm new in lexan body painting, and I have an double action airbrush with 0.30mm nozzle, but when I'm doing a simple design or covering all the surface with faskoat or similar I think the "Master Single Action .8mm" that you recommend in the first page can be a good ally. So I'm looking for one, but I have found some spray guns like this:

The description says:

Air Pressure: 43PSI
Air Inlet : 1/4"
Air Consumption: 4CFM
Cup Capacity: 150ML
Feed Type: Gravity
Fluid Nozzle: 0.5MM-1.0MM

What do you think about? Better or worse than single action 0.8mm? and why?

Thanks for your replys

Best regards.
That Mini-HVLP (high volume, low pressure) is for automotive use. Being a "mini" version it would be used for spraying door jams and spot repairs.

I don't recommend trying to use that for model painting. First and foremost you would waste a tremendous amount of paint, which is EXPENSIVE, by simply turning most of it into overspray.

Do yourself a favor and spend the 150 bucks for an Iwata eclipse Hp-Cs.
75-80% of painting (and this doesn't just just go for RC but anything and everything paint related) is preparation and materials! I.E. taking the time to properly prep whatever it is you're painting and using quality paints and materials. The right spray gun for the job is part of that equation. Trying to use that mini HVLP will just lead you to failure and frustration.

Last edited by Kyosho Joe; 12-29-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kyosho Joe
That Mini-HVLP (high volume, low pressure) is for automotive use. Being a "mini" version it would be used for spraying door jams and spot repairs.

I don't recommend trying to use that for model painting. First and foremost you would waste a tremendous amount of paint, which is EXPENSIVE, by simply turning most of it into overspray.

Do yourself a favor and spend the 150 bucks for an Iwata eclipse Hp-Cs.
75-80% of painting (and this doesn't just just go for RC but anything and everything paint related) is preparation and materials! I.E. taking the time to properly prep whatever it is you're painting and using quality paints and materials. The right spray gun for the job is part of that equation. Trying to use that mini HVLP will just lead you to failure and frustration.
Will a gun like that work for spreading masking good. I been using those decal sheet but picked up an eclipse for the misses so she can paint. Of would I be beget of worn a thick brush
Old 12-29-2013, 07:49 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by imrob
Will a gun like that work for spreading masking good. I been using those decal sheet but picked up an eclipse for the misses so she can paint. Of would I be beget of worn a thick brush

No. That gun is way to big for anything but maybe the largest RC jobs. Like if you wanted to Base coat/ Clear coat a really big fiberglass RC boat hull or maybe something like a large scale airplane and would be using automotive finishes.

For spraying liquid mask get one of those cheap 25 dollar plastic Badger model 250.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by imrob

No. That gun is way to big for anything but maybe the largest RC jobs. Like if you wanted to Base coat/ Clear coat a really big fiberglass RC boat hull or maybe something like a large scale airplane and would be using automotive finishes.

For spraying liquid mask get one of those cheap 25 dollar plastic Badger model 250.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kyosho Joe

Ok Thanks
Old 01-17-2014, 08:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Location: Currently live in southern AZ, or closer to northern Mexico if your a realist.
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Picking up a brush for my youngest son to start learning on. Question is gravity feed, or syphon? It will ultimately be used to brush bodies. I'm leaning towards syphon to learn, so if he tips the brush accidently, we don't have to worry about spilled paint. Thoughts?
Old 01-17-2014, 09:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Location: Currently live in southern AZ, or closer to northern Mexico if your a realist.
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default brushes...

Steve, did you ever pick up a brush? If so, what did you get?

Originally Posted by shagino
Thinking about picking up an airbrush for the wife. Probably going to go with the Iwata from Hobby Lobby. Need help with an air source.

Primary use will be painting RC car bodies. Would also like to be able to use it to clean my cars after running. Bonus if I can fill my actual car tire when it's running low.

This thread mentions 10-18psi. 35psi. 85psi. Any suggestions?
Old 01-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Tech Addict

Hey all. Just wanted to thank the OP for the airbrush recommendations.

I struggled with a Badger Renegade series for awhile (clogging, low paint flow) due to its tiny 0.21mm tip.

So I Ebayed the badger and got a Master G33 as recommended on the first post. Wow! What a great gun. A pleasure to paint with. Zero clogging, great flow, nice spray. Couldn't ask for anything else. Thanks again OP!
Old 01-28-2014, 04:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i was given a Badger Crescendo Model 175, needs all the accessories and new tips. is this a good model to fix up, or would it be better to just buy a new Master g33?
Old 01-31-2014, 03:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vintage tone
Master G22: 40 USD If you are on a budget, that s the best I found ( and use ) in that price range. Get the pack with the 3 needles and if every buck count, get the G22 with an extra .5mm needle and nozzle. It s a fine lil gun for the money....

$99 shipped !
I ended up buying this new 3 Master G22 Airbrush Kit with Compressor: Models G22, S68, E91 & TC-20 compressor. I needed a new hose and a water trap and needles, so it made sense to just buy this.

Originally Posted by vintage tone
If you go air compressor route, don t go under this TC 20 T is a great reliable and affordable solution. Never spray without a filter / regulator, water in your air hose will not only ruin your paint job but also damage your hose and gun internal vital parts quicker than you think.
i bought the TC-20 (-T) ,is that the same? came with water trap, etc. here is a link:
[URL="http://www.tcpglobal.com/itemdetail_AB.aspx?itemno=ABD+KIT-3AIR-20[/URL]
Old 03-04-2014, 12:13 PM
Tech Initiate

So I've been looking into getting into airbrushes for a little over a year, I think I've think settled on the G33 for the starter. Though the studio sets are tempting if I like it, I think multiple brushes one at a time might be better.

The question is the compressor, does it have to be made for airbrushes or will the one that I use to build with work. I plan on working in the garage with the compressor out side, so will a cheaper 30ft hose connected to a good hose work well or is a shorter hose better. I understand you need a filter and you need to be able to regulate air pressure but, other than that I really don't know. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ForeverTwoWheel
So I've been looking into getting into airbrushes for a little over a year, I think I've think settled on the G33 for the starter. Though the studio sets are tempting if I like it, I think multiple brushes one at a time might be better.

The question is the compressor, does it have to be made for airbrushes or will the one that I use to build with work. I plan on working in the garage with the compressor out side, so will a cheaper 30ft hose connected to a good hose work well or is a shorter hose better. I understand you need a filter and you need to be able to regulate air pressure but, other than that I really don't know. Any advice would be appreciated.
i'm wondering the same thing. i know i need water separator...but that's it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.